Willis III named ACC Defensive Lineman of the Week

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – Redshirt senior defensive lineman Gerald Willis III was named ACC Defensive Lineman of the Week, the conference office announced Tuesday.

Willis III, playing in his first game since Nov. 2016, started and delivered a dominant outing against the LSU Tigers in the AdvoCare Classic at AT&T Stadium.

Willis III posted a career-high eight tackles in his first start (four solo). He recorded an eye-popping 4.0 tackles for loss, marking the first such performance by a Hurricane since 2008.

Playing against his hometown team, Willis III, a New Orleans native, had one sack, one pass breakup and one quarterback hurry in a masterful effort.

Willis III and sophomore defensive lineman Jonathan Garvin (3.0 tackles for loss) became the first Miami duo to each record 3.0 tackles for loss in one game since the 2016 season opener against Florida A&M – Mark Richt's first game as head coach at Miami.

Willis' eight tackles were tied for second-most among all Hurricanes in Sunday's 33-17 setback to LSU.

The Miami Hurricanes open their home schedule on Saturday, Sept. 8 against Savannah State. Kickoff for the matchup, set for broadcast on ACC Network Extra, 560 WQAM, 990 AM ESPN Deportes and WVUM 90.5 FM, is set for 6 p.m. ET.

Advertisement
Happy for Willis I think last year when he sat out everyone pretty much wrote him off as a lost cause. If he keeps playing like that he's going to be well paid very shortly.

Advertisement
Imagine him + Norton, Mcintosh, Malek Young and Bandy. That would be a near-elite defense.

Wish him 13 more of those. Looks like a dude who may have really turned his whole life around. Great stuff.

Get that $$$$$$ Willis.

I apologize on behalf of the fanbase that you are saddled wtih such a feckless corch and talentless QB.

At least someone is paying attention to your skills.
Gotta love when one of the winningest coaches in the last 15 years is a called a corch by morons. Sure our QB sucks but Miami is still a much better team then it has been in 15 years. Period. We aren't "back" but we are getting there. To call Richt a corch is about the most silly *** thing I have ever heard. The guy who is your avatar is wayyyyyyy more of corch ( though he is not ) then Richt. A corch is golden . Even Shannon wasn't a corch . Shannon was an average coach . A corch is a guy who is so lost won't fire the worst D cordinator in all of Division 1. There are maybe 5 corches in all of D1 . Lets not lose what that term actually means.

Advertisement
Gotta love when one of the winningest coaches in the last 15 years is a called a corch by morons. Sure our QB sucks but Miami is still a much better team then it has been in 15 years. Period. We aren't "back" but we are getting there. To call Richt a corch is about the most silly *** thing I have ever heard.

Did you even watch the ******* game on Sunday?

Holy fvck there is like an entirely new breed of human that is completely clueless.

You do realize that the movie "Idiocracy" wasn't supposed to be a documentary right?

I wish we had 22 Gerald Willis's.

At the very least I wish he had more than this year of eligibility left. His first step and strength at the point of attack were eye popping. I could have sworn I was looking at Russel Maryland last saturday.

G played with that old school Miami mentality from pregame through the rest of the game. He was the best player on the field and that includes LSU. I salute him and thank him for bringing that kind of effort when the rest of the team was lackluster. No lie, he looked like a first round talent.

Advertisement
Gotta love when one of the winningest coaches in the last 15 years is a called a corch by morons. Sure our QB sucks but Miami is still a much better team then it has been in 15 years. Period. We aren't "back" but we are getting there. To call Richt a corch is about the most silly *** thing I have ever heard. The guy who is your avatar is wayyyyyyy more of corch ( though he is not ) then Richt. A corch is golden . Even Shannon wasn't a corch . Shannon was an average coach . A corch is a guy who is so lost won't fire the worst D cordinator in all of Division 1. There are maybe 5 corches in all of D1 . Lets not lose what that term actually means.

Yes, Richt is a good coach and a great person, but he is NOT a championship level coach period. This is his 3rd year here and the Canes just were not prepared for this game...they showed little fire after the pre-game skirmish and the play calling was atrocious yet again. If you can't open up the playbook because of poor QB play that falls on you and the QB coach, who BTW is his son. Nepotism has no place in major college football. Cane fans showed out in full force only to see us get blown out yet again on national tv, by a mediocre QB but a team that wanted it more than we did. Richt isn't a "corch", but he sure isn't the answer to get us another national championship either...there is a reason Georgia got rid of him

Advertisement
I have to say that I was skeptical as **** that he would be anything other than average due to the long layoff. Dude balled out and if he can keep pace, he's going to make a fat paycheck come next draft.

Guys you have to remember, the dude was a 5 star DT out of high school. I wish he couldve been dominating other Oline's for the past 4 years

Advertisement
Back