Williams named ACC Rookie of the Week

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was named ACC Rookie of the Week after a standout performance against Bethune-Cookman, the conference office announced Monday.

Williams completed 79.2 percent of his passes in Saturday's 63-0 win and set a career mark with three touchdown passes. Williams, who has started all three games for the Hurricanes, finished with 254 yards on 19-for-24 passing against the Wildcats.

On the season, Williams is now in the top half of the conference in pretty much every major category: first in the ACC in completion percentage (73.1%), third in QB Rating (164.6), fourth in YPA (8.4), and fifth in both passing yards (777) and passing TD’s (6). He is also one of four ACC starting QB’s to not have thrown an interception yet this year.

Advertisement
In the QBR calculations, he ranks 90th, which is due entirely to the negatives associated with sacks (the worst of any FBS qb) and the lack of running. If you look at points gained from passing alone, he ranks 18th in the country - which is pretty **** good.

Advertisement
Jarren's play reminds me of the numbers Kaaya put up while he was playing at Miami. It'll all be for not if we don't win games. Most encouraging thing about this season is that we've got a solid defense and much better coaching than when Kaaya was around. On the downside, I don't ever recall seeing such bad play from our special teams. I don't have a lot of confidence in our special teams right now. Sad part about it is I think it can be attributed to not having a good special teams coach. Now, I could be wrong but it's evident in our performances that we need to get more out of the 3rd phase of the game. Missed FG's, shanks, muffed punts, etc. Let's hope we can turn things around. We're not experienced and/nor talented enough to win games without all 3 teams contributing.

GO CANES!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Jarren's play reminds me of the numbers Kaaya put up while he was playing at Miami. It'll all be for not if we don't win games. Most encouraging thing about this season is that we've got a solid defense and much better coaching than when Kaaya was around. On the downside, I don't ever recall seeing such bad play from our special teams. I don't have a lot of confidence in our special teams right now. Sad part about it is I think it can be attributed to not having a good special teams coach. Now, I could be wrong but it's evident in our performances that we need to get more out of the 3rd phase of the game. Missed FG's, shanks, muffed punts, etc. Let's hope we can turn things around. We're not experienced and/nor talented enough to win games without all 3 teams contributing.

GO CANES!!!
Kaaya put up good numbers because the D kept letting the other team score, thus putting him back on the field. Our time of possession is WAY up compared to what it has been in recent years.

As for not recalling ever seeing such poor special teams. Did you watch us the last two years?

How many shanks has Hedley had?

I cant think of any off of the top of my head. Hes been pretty **** impressive..his one punt when we were pinned at our goal line against UFag is still stuck in my head..lightning quick release on that one.

Advertisement
pretty **** balanced And not just “dink and dunk” . The improvement in the deep ball will come but those throws are usually lower percentages any way. Most of his yardage is coming from throws 11 yards or more in distance and is passing at 63% on those those throws
7A63592C-681A-48C6-86DD-C68A78EFE7CA.jpeg

Last edited:
ACC rookie of the week against Bethune Cookman :eczk8maixn847u2tx5.jpg:

Jarren needs to start making the limited possessions we have count and score touchdowns or we will lose another 5 games regardless of how “great” he is at completing 6 yard passes.

Advertisement
pretty **** balanced And not just “dink and dunk” . The improvement in the deep ball will come but those throws are usually lower percentages any way. Most of his yardage is coming from throws 11 yards or more in distance and is passing at 63% on those those throws

I don't really understand that first table. Is that our defense's success rate? Or is it the other team's defensive success rate against our offense? I'm confused about the "low being good" statement.

I don't really understand that first table. Is that our defense's success rate? Or is it the other team's defensive success rate against our offense? I'm confused about the "low being good" statement.
Yeah he’s talking about defense success rate on our defense vs other offenses. Just a linked tweet

Advertisement
Back