Williams getting advice from former 'Cane QB's, Jimmy Johnson before first start

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
After going through Wednesday’s drills in a session that was closed to the media, Miami Hurricanes starting QB Jarren Williams spoke on his preparations for the Florida Gators as the game creeps closer and closer.

“It definitely feels more real now than it did a week ago. Me and the guys, we’re just taking it one day, one step at a time. So, we’re ready… From Monday to now, I feel a lot better with the game plan. We’ve been able to go over it and rep it, rep it, rep it. I’ve had a chance to watch film and really get a better understanding, so I’m feeling really good about the game plan.”

Williams is well-aware of what the implications would be for the season if Miami wins against the Gators, so he has focused in hard on what he can control.

“We know it’s a big game, but our focus is that one play at that one time,” Williams said. “We tune out all the noise and are just going to focus on our assignment.”

How has his life been different since being named the starter?

“I have a lot of family and friends that texted me and called me, let me know they’re very proud of me for all the hard work I put in,” Williams said. “It means a lot. I did get a lot of messages and phone calls.”

Aside from family and friends, former Hurricanes QB’s such as Brad Kaaya, Stephen Morris, and Malik Rosier also offered their congratulations and have formed a group chat with Williams as well.

“They really just told me `Be confident and be you, this is a moment you prepared your whole life for, don’t let the moment get too big for you,’” Williams said. “Brad and them tell me just go out there and be you and have fun with it. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, so just take advantage of it.”

It hasn’t been all sunshine and roses for Williams at Miami, though. Last season in his true freshman year, there were times where he was down on himself for not playing and seriously considered transferring. However, Williams decided to stick it out in the end, and feels the entire team had a mindset shift when Manny Diaz was named the head coach.

“I’d say that in January, when we knew coach Diaz was the head coach, the whole mindset started to change for everybody,” Williams said. “And my mindset was `I’m going to come here and work, compete every day.’”

Former Hurricanes head coach Jimmy Johnson was at practice today and spent some 1-on-1 time with Williams.

“He’s a great guy. I love him,” Williams said of Johnson. “He just said to me, ‘Protect the ball.’ He said, ‘I like the way you spin the ball.’ He said some nice things and really just said, ‘Take it one step, one play at a time. Don’t let the moment get too big.’… He fired me up.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
:LOL: had the same thought.... Morris, Rojeer, and Kayak are not exactly the three guys I want giving my QB1 advice
Exactly

Torreta and Rom are working for the Sirius ACCN and did an interview with him. I would be certain they both spoke to him.
That's great to hear , man

Advertisement
Advertisement
What advice did Malik give?

“Hey JWill, If the pocket collapses just tuck the ball, run and wing it. That’s what I did for a year and a half.”

You must be a millennial. Smh. Its the "what have you done for me today" era when it comes to everything. Malik **** sure can walk around that QB room and give advice since he did give this program its biggest win in a **** decade. Maybe longer. Lets stop talking about the kid like he has the legacy of Ryan Clement and hasn't led this program to monumental wins before.

two of those 3 guys would kill it in a Dan Enos offense.

Oh I completely agree, all three of those guys were held back by their coaches from playing up to their respective talent levels (Rosier included). I honestly can't knock any of the three -- they were all true Canes and gave it their all for the program.

I guess I meant that among the pantheon of UM quarterbacks, I'd much rather have some of the true legends dispensing advice. Of course, I know that Morris, Rosier, and Kaaya are the closest in age to Jarren, so it makes sense that he'd look to them for guidance.

Advertisement
You must be a millennial. Smh. Its the "what have you done for me today" era when it comes to everything. Malik **** sure can walk around that QB room and give advice since he did give this program its biggest win in a **** decade. Maybe longer. Lets stop talking about the kid like he has the legacy of Ryan Clement and hasn't led this program to monumental wins before.
Ryan Clement was one tough SOB and a good QB actually, Covington was more physically talented IMO though . I digress, Clement was nothing to scoff at .

"Clement took over the starting role full-time in 1996, leading the Big East in pass efficiency with a 147.1 rating. Clement was a leading candidate for the Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award in 1996 and was also an All-Big East Conference selection. He led the Hurricanes to the Big East title shared with Virginia Tech and Syracuse (all finished 6-1 in conference play) with an impressive performance in the final game of the season at Syracuse. Clement threw for three touchdowns to help Miami defeat the Donovan McNabb led Orangemen 38-31, earning Big East “Player of the Week” honors and giving Miami a share of the Big East conference crown. Miami finished the 1996 season 9-3, with a win over Virginia in the Carquest Bowl and ranked 14th in both the AP and coaches polls.
1997 proved to be an extremely difficult year for Clement and the Hurricanes. Miami, beset by the scholarship reductions due to NCAA violations under the Dennis Erickson tenure, and forced to play several true freshmen as starters in key positions, fell to a 5-6 record, their first losing record since 1979.
Clement led the Miami Hurricanes in 30 regular season games as the starting quarterback over three seasons, and led his team to a win in the 1996 Carquest Bowl in the only post-season game he started. He received the Walter Kichefski Football Award, selected by his coaches as the Miami player that most represents the characteristics Kichefski lived by: respect for fellow man, loyalty, dedication, sacrifice, motivation and inspiration.
Clement finished his career at Miami among the all-time statistical leaders in the following categories:
  • Career Pass Completion Percentage Minimum 250 Attempts) - (443 of 747) - 59.3% (4th All-Time),
  • Career Pass Completions: 443 (4th All-Time),
  • Career Pass Attempts: 747 (4th All-Time),
  • Career Passing Yardage: 6,004 (5th All-Time),
  • Career Total Offense: 5,659 (5th All-Time),
  • Career Touchdown Passes: 43 (6th All-Time)."

Advertisement
Back