Williams "fired up" to be at UM, details recruiting philosophy

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Travis Williams has spent the vast majority of his football career at Auburn as both a player and a coach, but will be switching things up to a South Florida lifestyle after accepting the inside linebackers coach job at the University of Miami yesterday.

"Man, I’m blessed to be here,” Williams said. “I’m at ‘The U’. Growing up, understanding what this place is about, I’m blessed to be here. I’m excited. I’m so fired up to be here.”

A big factor in Williams ending up at UM was DB coach Travaris Robinson, as the two have been close friends and colleagues over the years.

“That’s my guy, my brother,” Williams said. “I’ve been knowing him 20 years, a great, great friend of mine. Someone I respect, a really good football coach. A really good recruiter but a really good football coach. His son is named Travis, so that goes to show you how close we are.”

Williams takes over a linebacker group that really struggled in 2020 and is desperate for a talent infusion moving forward.

“Before we even got into X’s and O’s, I wanted them to understand we are at ‘The U’,” Williams said. “Linebacker U, we went over all the linebackers that came through here. They have to understand these guys that laid the foundation, the bricks around here, these guys really take this serious.

“When it comes to playing football, especially linebacker at Miami, they have to understand that. My whole deal was making sure they understood. I said write down a great linebacker that came through here, so every day in a meeting (they see that). It’s that extra layer, that extra fire in you understanding the linebacker that came before you. And you have to be coachable. I’m here to coach you, get you better fundamentally, teach you football.”

Williams’ thoughts after meeting his current group?

“They are bright-eyed, ready to learn,” Williams said. “We are up for the challenge, this is Linebacker U. I told the guys we have an All-Conference linebacker in this room. It all starts with the mental side, it’s all about your mentality. You have to love being physical, love coming to work every day playing linebacker at ‘The U’, love the pressure week in and week out. I’m up for the challenge, the guys are up for the challenge... As a group we have to have the mindset `We are the best.'"

Williams will certainly have his hands full right out of the gate to start his Miami career, as the Canes' will take on defending champion Alabama in the 2021 season opener.

“The good thing is there’s a long time before the first game,” Williams said. “Right now, we need to chop wood, get better and better. Alabama is returning national champions, great team, great coach. If we just focus on ourselves, as we get better, that game will take care of itself. They are the giant, that team in college football. We’re going to respect them and the first game we’ll give it our best shot and see how it goes.”

Williams has been known for his recruiting success at Auburn, and he is excited to start mining the very fertile territory that comes with coaching in South Florida.

“It’s loaded down here,” Williams said. “What I’m looking for - you have to love football. You have to make sure the student-athlete you’re recruiting is not just a camp guy. And you need a skillset. A guy that’s explosive, can bend, can run sideline to sideline, and also a football IQ. Can he pick up the system? Those are things you look for. Leadership is very important because you are the quarterback of the defense. For me, you have to be a great leader.”

What does he see as his greatest recruiting victory at Auburn?

“All my guys are victories in their own right,” Williams said. “I have my own star ranking. If I’m recruiting you, I think you have the skillset to win a championship.”

Advertisement
“It’s loaded down here,” Williams said. “What I’m looking for - you have to love football. You have to make sure the student-athlete you’re recruiting is not just a camp guy. And you need a skillset. A guy that’s explosive, can bend, can run sideline to sideline, and also a football IQ. Can he pick up the system? Those are things you look for. Leadership is very important because you are the quarterback of the defense. For me, you have to be a great leader.”

Das what Im talkimbout.

I have so much ptsd from mccloud
That when I read he values leadership my heart dropped Bc I just imagined McClouds leadership making him a captain and you know if he’s captain manny is starting him

That when I read he values leadership my heart dropped Bc I just imagined McClouds leadership making him a captain and you know if he’s captain manny is starting him
Have more faith in him than that. If he values leadership, he ain’t going to disrespect it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
**** I’m fired up and ready to Go..put me in the Game Coach..I’m Loving the Energy..them Boyz better get there minds right..this is a different LB Coach then that last guy that was friends with CMD..can’t remember his name for some reason..🤣..it’s all about the U baby

Leadership means nothing if you can't diagnose a play.

Advertisement
Im not expecting this guy to turn Huff and TAC into Armstead and DSmith over night..so ill give him time for those two. Im looking to see what he can get out of guys like Jennings and Brooks in the short term.

Also interested to see if he takes a look around at the LB room post-Spring and tells Manny he needs re-enforcements at the position. Need a GT at LB to give the room a short term boost. Something to keep an eye on as well.

Advertisement
Im not expecting this guy to turn Huff and TAC into Armstead and DSmith over night..so ill give him time for those two. Im looking to see what he can get out of guys like Jennings and Brooks in the short term.

Also interested to see if he takes a look around at the LB room post-Spring and tells Manny he needs re-enforcements at the position. Need a GT at LB to give the room a short term boost. Something to keep an eye on as well.
I think that’s a must. If the right player is there I’m sure we will bring in a GT. T-Will certainly will give LBs something to think about as they go through spring and may not like their situation. Hopefully Owen Pappoe is one of them. Going from a 4-3 to 3-4 ILB might not be to his liking and we may benefit from it.

Love this guy’s energy and passion. He’s **** right - this is Linebacker U, you don’t have the goods to play hard,fast, and physical then you’re not playing. Can’t wait to see what he transforms this group into this season. I agree on a GT LB, someone that can show the others the levels they need to reach to be a true linebacker at tha U!!!

In a matter of weeks this staff went from an embarrassment to potentially a strength. Even with the hints being dropped on here I wasn't getting my hopes up. And now...feeling like Pacino in Godfather III lol

Advertisement
Back