Williams "fired up" to be at UM, details recruiting philosophy

View as article
Travis Williams has spent the vast majority of his football career at Auburn as both a player and a coach, but will be switching things up to a South Florida lifestyle after accepting the inside linebackers coach job at the University of Miami yesterday.

"Man, I’m blessed to be here,” Williams said. “I’m at ‘The U’. Growing up, understanding what this place is about, I’m blessed to be here. I’m excited. I’m so fired up to be here.”

A big factor in Williams ending up at UM was DB coach Travaris Robinson, as the two have been close friends and colleagues over the years.

“That’s my guy, my brother,” Williams said. “I’ve been knowing him 20 years, a great, great friend of mine. Someone I respect, a really good football coach. A really good recruiter but a really good football coach. His son is named Travis, so that goes to show you how close we are.”

Williams takes over a linebacker group that really struggled in 2020 and is desperate for a talent infusion moving forward.

“Before we even got into X’s and O’s, I wanted them to understand we are at ‘The U’,” Williams said. “Linebacker U, we went over all the linebackers that came through here. They have to understand these guys that laid the foundation, the bricks around here, these guys really take this serious.

“When it comes to playing football, especially linebacker at Miami, they have to understand that. My whole deal was making sure they understood. I said write down a great linebacker that came through here, so every day in a meeting (they see that). It’s that extra layer, that extra fire in you understanding the linebacker that came before you. And you have to be coachable. I’m here to coach you, get you better fundamentally, teach you football.”

Williams’ thoughts after meeting his current group?

“They are bright-eyed, ready to learn,” Williams said. “We are up for the challenge, this is Linebacker U. I told the guys we have an All-Conference linebacker in this room. It all starts with the mental side, it’s all about your mentality. You have to love being physical, love coming to work every day playing linebacker at ‘The U’, love the pressure week in and week out. I’m up for the challenge, the guys are up for the challenge... As a group we have to have the mindset `We are the best.'"

Williams will certainly have his hands full right out of the gate to start his Miami career, as the Canes' will take on defending champion Alabama in the 2021 season opener.

“The good thing is there’s a long time before the first game,” Williams said. “Right now, we need to chop wood, get better and better. Alabama is returning national champions, great team, great coach. If we just focus on ourselves, as we get better, that game will take care of itself. They are the giant, that team in college football. We’re going to respect them and the first game we’ll give it our best shot and see how it goes.”

Williams has been known for his recruiting success at Auburn, and he is excited to start mining the very fertile territory that comes with coaching in South Florida.

“It’s loaded down here,” Williams said. “What I’m looking for - you have to love football. You have to make sure the student-athlete you’re recruiting is not just a camp guy. And you need a skillset. A guy that’s explosive, can bend, can run sideline to sideline, and also a football IQ. Can he pick up the system? Those are things you look for. Leadership is very important because you are the quarterback of the defense. For me, you have to be a great leader.”

What does he see as his greatest recruiting victory at Auburn?

“All my guys are victories in their own right,” Williams said. “I have my own star ranking. If I’m recruiting you, I think you have the skillset to win a championship.”
I gotta say I love that this dude SEEMS to see the bigger picture here. I haven't met him yet and I look forward to it. Just PRAYING manny don't get in these boys way recruiting wise or from a development perspective. Seems like he could potentially be a good under the radar hire. My one concern is previously his units never impressed me. Maybe now being that he's in a more fertile recruiting ground he can pick and develop some gems.(he needs to handle entire unit not just mike backer though. I'd love to see how he does with Sam because I think Sam has a TON of potential if he just gets the coaching reinforced he came in with. Lost alot of that aggression since he got here.

Advertisement
He is. Just look at the offers he’s putting out. We haven’t offered any of these studs prior to his arrival. Maybe because they didn’t fit Manny’s criteria, or it wasn’t a priority. But every single one of them are UM type backers and highly rated/sought.
What’s Diaz criteria under sized and must be able to get ran over 😂 Diaz needs to step away all together and manage his team not control it

LoL, I guess they did not show him the linebacker breakout room. Aren't the greats already on the wall?

What’s Diaz criteria under sized and must be able to get ran over 😂 Diaz needs to step away all together and manage his team not control it
Absolutely. Because clearly they have different perspectives on prospects. Almost like Manny has a inferior complex to elite prospects. The 1st set of offers by T-Will would probably start with our current rooster right now. Lol

I gotta say I love that this dude SEEMS to see the bigger picture here. I haven't met him yet and I look forward to it. Just PRAYING manny don't get in these boys way recruiting wise or from a development perspective. Seems like he could potentially be a good under the radar hire. My one concern is previously his units never impressed me. Maybe now being that he's in a more fertile recruiting ground he can pick and develop some gems.(he needs to handle entire unit not just mike backer though. I'd love to see how he does with Sam because I think Sam has a TON of potential if he just gets the coaching reinforced he came in with. Lost alot of that aggression since he got here.
Why would he not have both linebackers? Btw, he needed to get out of Auburn or his career was going to stagnant. Same with recruiting. I think this hurt Randy. Played at Miami, a couple of years as a player in Dallas, then UM, Dolphins, back to UM. Limited his recruiting, his contacts, etc.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back