Will We Ever Be Back?

TCU and Baylor are private schools that probably have the same financial situation as UM in regard to facilities. Stanford probably has more money, but it's higher academic standards present a recruiting obstacle. None of those schools has the local high-school talent of South Florida. Yet, they are fielding some powerhouses while UM languishes. The prime suspects have to be the AD and coaches. My only solice is that USC and Notre Dame are not doing much better.

Advertisement
Charlie strong would do great things here. He could bring us back, we need to keep updating the facilities

Charlie strong would do great things here. He could bring us back, we need to keep updating the facilities

I like Charlie but there are a dozen coaches who I'd rather have. Dude is good but overrated. Gary Patterson wipes his **** with Charlie Strong as a coach, as evidenced by yesterday's blowout win for TCU.

LOL at calling Strong overrated.

What a clown.

Charlie Strong would murder CFB down here and it's not even close.

All we need is a head coach with the proper philosophy for our program (and area). It should be attack on offense, defense (especially on defense) and special teams. This plays to the (south Florida) players' strengths and background (which is what good coaches do anyway) and forces the opponent to adjust.

During all the great Canes years I always watched the defense much more even though we had some superb offenses some years. It's difficult for a QB to convert a throw if he's on his back (I think Buddy Ryan said something to this effect, but of course he said it far more colorfully than I just did).

Recruiting is of course important, but as we all know we have so much talent in our backyard, if we have the right philosophy, we'll get the big-time DTs and DEs, etc. to come.

As we've seen the last few years, improper coaching philosophy causes you to regularly lose to inferior opponents. We should be undefeated right now. We have a number of difference makers on this team. If we attacked more on defense, we would "magically" see more difference makers on that side of the ball, too.

Many (or most / all) on this forum can see that the current philosophy is amiss. Golden has some good attributes as a head coach; however, philosophy is most certainly NOT one of them. As with Coker and Shannon, it comes down to wins. Golden clearly hasn't gotten it done.

To wrap up, we'll be back when we get a coach and staff who have the philosophy that matches the area.

The popular conversation every time Miami wins about 3 games in a row is "Are they back?"

Well this season is in the ****ter again, so I'm wondering do any of you think we will be back? Ever?

I honestly don't think we will ever see a 83-94 type stretch run of dominance, but I do think we can get back to a 2 out of every 5 year type of playoff contender. Its just going to take the right type of coaching staff. One that is aggressive on both sides of the ball, one that recruits South Florida 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Or do you think Miami as we once knew it will never be back, but a 9-3 best case type team?

Advertisement
TCU and Baylor are private schools that probably have the same financial situation as UM in regard to facilities. Stanford probably has more money, but it's higher academic standards present a recruiting obstacle. None of those schools has the local high-school talent of South Florida. Yet, they are fielding some powerhouses while UM languishes. The prime suspects have to be the AD and coaches. My only solice is that USC and Notre Dame are not doing much better.

Briles recruits well in high schools since he started as a winning Texas high school coach. Beyond the thrust from RGIII, the major donation from Drayton McLane to build the new jewel of a stadium just across the river from campus is also working as a serious recruiting tool. UM would indeed be the 3rd private school in the conference where the private schools are beginning to turn the tables. I agree UCF would be a good add with great upside but we really need several high profile teams with good history. UM will be back.

Advertisement
Back