Will The Media Attack Nebraska Now?

https://twitter.com/ESPNRobertSmith/status/663200688877477888
tweet by Robert Smith:
Gotta feel good for those #Nebraska kids after all their close losses. Way to go big Red!

mind you, this is the same idiot who screamed bloody murder that Duke got shafted and wanted Miami to forfeit their win. he's getting blasted on Twitter for being a hypocrite lol

This is disturbing. Yes disturbing and on a few levels. This whole anti UM bias is to the point of being pathological. The entire thing is bizarre, irrational and completely severed from reality. The fact that dozens and dozens of media personalities chose to embrace something so blatantly dishonest and destructive is frankly beyond my ability to comprehend. What makes this deranged phenomenon even more perplexing is the fact that the vast majority of these people are fully grown and well educated adults. These are professionals that make their living watching, analyzing and discussing sports.

I would have a very difficult time trying to articulate just how overwhelming it is for me to sit here and process how all of these well educated professional adults could consciously chose to take part in such blatantly immature, hypocritical and malicious nonsense. Isn't it about time that this insanity was confronted? I don't have the words to sufficiently describe how appalling and despicable I find this behavior to be. For how much longer are we just going to sit idly by while these self righteous montebanks continue to deficate on all of the hard work these young men put in everyday? For how much longer are we going to sit here and allow these spineless jackals to maliciously slander these kids that proudly represent the University of Miami? These young men have never done anything to any of these media hacks to deserve the onslaught of vile hatred continuously levelled at them yet the attacks persist.

It's about **** time that someone with some intestinal fortitude called these people out for the vicious hate mongers that they are! Isn't it about **** time that someone asked what it is that they are so scared of? Why are they so terrified of confident and talented black athletes playing football with passion and enthusiasm at the highest levels? They seem to be fine with it as long as said African American athletes do so at an establishment institution like Alabama, Notre Dame, or Ohio St. How is it possible that no one has challenged the media's lazy and dishonest stereotyping of these young men that represent the University of Miami? Is it because the good ol boy network of traditional college football still resent the fact that a bunch of outspoken, brash and uber talented inner city kids at a small private school in Miami had a blast running roughshod of the sacred cows of college football? Is this our punishment for running train on their cookie cutter establishment? When exactly did golf etiquette begin to inbue the fabric of college football? When did it become so important to make doubly sure that no ones feelings get hurt? I'm guessing it was probably around the same time that a bunch of hungry and talented inner city kids from South Florida decided to crash the establishment party without an invitation and radically redifine the landscape of modern era college football. Here's to doing it again!

Nicely put. In part it can be explained by our outsider status. Also race certainly plays its role. But when you consider that this hate is not limited to your normally expected sources there must be more to it. Normally your leftist liberal media and academia would not rally around a flag like hating Miami because blacks kids offended the establishment. Yet, they, through Foote and Donna, lead and continue to lead the attack. I think it had to do with the fact that our program success came so much from the players being the primary reason for the dominance. We have no Bear, or massive alumni base, or huge donors funding endless resources. More than any other program, our was of, for and by the kids. Liberals have a violent reaction to blacks making it on their own. They world they live in REQUIRES that blacks, especially black inner city, kids need institutional help to even eat breakfast. Combine that with all those other things and the unique nature of Miami hate is easier to understand. Those kids winning that game with that sandlot play could not be credited to anyone except them -- see?

Advertisement
"Great post. I know many fine people who decry injustice, racism, profiling, and prejudice. Yet, those same people reflexively portray college football players, and most especially Canes, as hoodlums and unintelligent people who don't belong on a college campus. Those well meaning people should do some self-reflection. Why do they criticize college football today? Do they think that Bear Bryant's all white teams of the pre-Civil Rights era were composed of Rhodes Scholars? What is different today? Why do those fine people get so upset when they see self-confident young men performing at a high level in a Cane uniform?"

You assume to much. Always look for intent and for that follow money and power. I suspect the people you describe as well meaning have motives beyond those they profess. Most people do and act in a manner that benefits them in some way. Inconsistent actions frequently are w small window into their true feeling or at least they true objectives. But to see in the window is not easy.

Just hope we can get back soon and give them something real to hate on.... like the Cotton Bowl experience!!

tweet by Robert Smith:
Gotta feel good for those #Nebraska kids after all their close losses. Way to go big Red!

mind you, this is the same idiot who screamed bloody murder that Duke got shafted and wanted Miami to forfeit their win. he's getting blasted on Twitter for being a hypocrite lol

This is disturbing. Yes disturbing and on a few levels. This whole anti UM bias is to the point of being pathological. The entire thing is bizarre, irrational and completely severed from reality. The fact that dozens and dozens of media personalities chose to embrace something so blatantly dishonest and destructive is frankly beyond my ability to comprehend. What makes this deranged phenomenon even more perplexing is the fact that the vast majority of these people are fully grown and well educated adults. These are professionals that make their living watching, analyzing and discussing sports.

I would have a very difficult time trying to articulate just how overwhelming it is for me to sit here and process how all of these well educated professional adults could consciously chose to take part in such blatantly immature, hypocritical and malicious nonsense. Isn't it about time that this insanity was confronted? I don't have the words to sufficiently describe how appalling and despicable I find this behavior to be. For how much longer are we just going to sit idly by while these self righteous montebanks continue to deficate on all of the hard work these young men put in everyday? For how much longer are we going to sit here and allow these spineless jackals to maliciously slander these kids that proudly represent the University of Miami? These young men have never done anything to any of these media hacks to deserve the onslaught of vile hatred continuously levelled at them yet the attacks persist.

It's about **** time that someone with some intestinal fortitude called these people out for the vicious hate mongers that they are! Isn't it about **** time that someone asked what it is that they are so scared of? Why are they so terrified of confident and talented black athletes playing football with passion and enthusiasm at the highest levels? They seem to be fine with it as long as said African American athletes do so at an establishment institution like Alabama, Notre Dame, or Ohio St. How is it possible that no one has challenged the media's lazy and dishonest stereotyping of these young men that represent the University of Miami? Is it because the good ol boy network of traditional college football still resent the fact that a bunch of outspoken, brash and uber talented inner city kids at a small private school in Miami had a blast running roughshod of the sacred cows of college football? Is this our punishment for running train on their cookie cutter establishment? When exactly did golf etiquette begin to inbue the fabric of college football? When did it become so important to make doubly sure that no ones feelings get hurt? I'm guessing it was probably around the same time that a bunch of hungry and talented inner city kids from South Florida decided to crash the establishment party without an invitation and radically redifine the landscape of modern era college football. Here's to doing it again!

Great post, but I wholehartedly disagree with the premise of this statement: "I would have a very difficult time trying to articulate just how overwhelming it is for me to sit here and process how all of these well educated professional adults could consciously chose to take part in such blatantly immature, hypocritical and malicious nonsense."

Sorry, I'm a 'Cane Fan only and I admire all the alums and all they have accomplished, especially those in my own family, but being "well-educated" doesn't mean these people aren't STUPID. I come from the "E" side of the US military and have seen some of the stupidest things done in the military by the most over-educated of "Gentleman Officer." The 'Canes critic's education ("Street Wise" persona Wilbon went to a Catholic Prep school, and then on to private Northwestern) is secondary to keeping "the narrative" in a nice tidy box with a bow on top and the ability keep the money coming in without a lot of effort, i.e., they can keep in the echo chamber, repeat what each other says, and not have to a lot of research on the topics they "cover." Does ESPiN have an early Saturday show rehashing all the stupidity they said on Gameday the previous week? Nope. They are in the business of making you believe THEY are right and if you disagree, YOU are wrong.

Go back to '70s college football. It was a nice tidy package with interest mainly in the Midwest, South and West (after area schools such as Fordham and Army declined, the Northeast turned to the NFL) and the characters and concepts they could easily manage: Bear Bryant, Bo and Woody, The Irish, USC Running Backs, Nebraska vs. Oklahoma, "3 yards and a cloud of dust" etc. But it was BORING and not growing beyond it's niche (turning on the TV one Saturday as a child in the early 70s, I asked my New Yorker Dad who was playing; "it's college, " he replied, "its where players in the NFL come from" and he told me to go do my chores, something never enforced on an NFL Sunday). The NFL was getting exciting throughout the 70's and was getting more and more of the attention. College football desperately needed a change agent, a disruptive force to energize the competion with passing and speed, bring in showmanship for marketing purposes and turn on a whole new generation of fans...That Team was The MIAMI HURRICANES and college football has never been the same.

As we all know, disruptive change always creates market losers. How many pay phones to you see? Typing pools? Miami turned the narrative on its head: Private schools were for the privileged elite to be groomed, not for bringing in minority athletes to compete for (GASP!) football titles, especially in the East. Big Publics in the aforementioned parts of the country had dealt with ND and USC being good because they "followed the rules," but Miami? Didn't they know their place and their "betters?!?"

A whole slew of the college football disenfranchised (of which I include myself) now had a team that reflected what they were about, not what pinky in the air school or big state U was about. Yes friends, Miami may have not sold out the OB, but the fanbase was huge and enjoyed the establishment teams getting beat; the problem was, Miami couldn't eliminate these outmoded teams like pay phones, they just made them mad and revenge minded. Miami brought a BILLION dollars into college football by starting the revolution and making it watchable, heck as enjoyable as the NFL, but was repayed by the old line powers with sabatoge. The media, scared of losing their precious access, became witting accomplices and ten years ago, the ground work they laid, bore fruit for them. It is do or die for the original revolutionaries and no matter what media person appers to be on Miami's side, know that they owe their continued employment just as long as they keep up the "'Canes are Evil" narrative, no matter how untrue or how much it is a diservice to OUR teams student-athletes. Yeah, Student Athletes, these young people DO graduate and are a **** of a lot smarter with one degree then these "well-educated" blowhards whose whole livelihood depends on being on the teat of the people who enforce the narrative.

Oh, BTW it's fair if you negged me earlier if you don't like politics on a sports board, but if you did because you like an establishment person like Hillary who will lie to the family of person in a flag drapped coffin at Dover AFB about who killed them, well you got problems...Remember WHY Obama beat her like a drum in 2008 and remember her lying is worse than Trump's hair, and Fiorina's smile, but those topics are being covered instead. The 'Canes prove the media IS biased, do you think it only happens in sports reporting?

Last edited:
Advertisement
tweet by Robert Smith:

Best post I've seen all year maybe.

tweet by Robert Smith:

You know why: The media bias/hate against Miami is racially motivated.

Advertisement
An ESPiN talking head said "Nebraska deserved get a game like this..."

the jackass who said that was joe tessitore , when miami fired golden he went on a condescending rant on how expectations need to be reset at "the U" in a mocking tone. when maryland fired their coach they were fine with it, the bias is incredible

UM is like a Republican presedential candidate, Nebraska is like Duke, a Hillary...Not a chance.

That's the firs thing I thought of, the obvious double-standard from a biased, sanctimonious, superior media. It's at work in politics, and international politics. For example, one vibrant, pluralistic and tolerant democracy which has become the international whipping boy, subject to a lot of slanders and lies, but I don't want to go any further because that arouses a lot of hate and irrational passions.

By the way, I am a registered Democrat, have been since 1968, but I doubt that the hags on the View would ever treat Hillary with the venom unleashed on Carlie Fiorina. There IS a double-standard.

Media is very very biased. That was obvious on the CNBC debates, where there tons of "gotcha" ambush questions, instead of proper questions on economic policy.

The haughty, supercilious John Harwood still thinks he did nothing wrong. Not surprising he's so arrogant, grew up in the Bethesda area (mine after growing up in Miami) and his father was also a reporter for the Washington Post. He's the type who thinks he knows better, is smarter, and is all around better than anybody else. I think he's a Duke graduate, by the way. Not surprising.

This is what we got ourselves into when we joined the ACC, some of the schools just believe they are superior and that their people are superior.

the jackass who said that was joe tessitore , when miami fired golden he went on a condescending rant on how expectations need to be reset at "the U" in a mocking tone. when maryland fired their coach they were fine with it, the bias is incredible

Name Tessitore sounds familiar, but I don't pay attention anymore to sports talkiing heads. I'm getting old, why waste my limited remaining years on this....I still love Hurricane football, but if I want controversy, I'll get it over something important, like politics and whether our country is going down the tubes (like the rest of the world).

If I could just go back to 1963, WIOD, and Luther Evans and Sonny Hirsch taking calls on the Hurricanes, I'd be OK. I still advocate bringing that show back, digging up the bodies (if they weren't cremated), hiring ventriloquists, and putting a mike between the two cadavers sitting in a broadcast booth. I'll get the same amount of wisdom.

Or if they could just find old tapes of the show, play them over and over. Again, just as informative. So what if the QB is George Mira Sr. instead of Brad Kaaya.

I learned that so many of the media people are jackasses. Back in the '80's, I got really exercised over a hateful column against UM by a Philadelphia sportswriter named, I think, Bill Conlin. It outraged a lot of UM fans and even some who were not.

I think the guy died a few years ago. It came out that he had been a longtime child molester:

Disgraced Philadelphia sports columnist Bill Conlin is dead | NJ.com

The Last Days of Bill Conlin - Articles

Now, just look at the kind of trash this man was, yet he caused us considerable consternation back in the late '80's with his widely circulated column trashing UM. Little did we know of the true character of the man who sat on his perch of superiority and dialed up the hate and spread it around the country. His column went everywhere, and that is before there was a web and stuff went viral.

Now, that is not to say that every one of the media critics is a child-molester, but we have to consider the character of the critics. (That's not to say that none of the remaining media critics is a child-molester or brawling drunk, like Conlin, but we have no way of knowing, right now).

Just don't get too exercised over these people, there's a reason they're doing what they are doing, instead of real work at real jobs. It's just a **** shame they get paid so much for what they do.

Name Tessitore sounds familiar, but I don't pay attention anymore to sports talkiing heads. I'm getting old, why waste my limited remaining years on this....I still love Hurricane football, but if I want controversy, I'll get it over something important, like politics and whether our country is going down the tubes (like the rest of the world).

If I could just go back to 1963, WIOD, and Luther Evans and Sonny Hirsch taking calls on the Hurricanes, I'd be OK. I still advocate bringing that show back, digging up the bodies (if they weren't cremated), hiring ventriloquists, and putting a mike between the two cadavers sitting in a broadcast booth. I'll get the same amount of wisdom.

Or if they could just find old tapes of the show, play them over and over. Again, just as informative. So what if the QB is George Mira Sr. instead of Brad Kaaya.

I learned that so many of the media people are jackasses. Back in the '80's, I got really exercised over a hateful column against UM by a Philadelphia sportswriter named, I think, Bill Conlin. It outraged a lot of UM fans and even some who were not.

I think the guy died a few years ago. It came out that he had been a longtime child molester:

Now, just look at the kind of trash this man was, yet he caused us considerable consternation back in the late '80's with his widely circulated column trashing UM. Little did we know of the true character of the man who sat on his perch of superiority and dialed up the hate and spread it around the country. His column went everywhere, and that is before there was a web and stuff went viral.

Now, that is not to say that every one of the media critics is a child-molester, but we have to consider the character of the critics. (That's not to say that none of the remaining media critics is a child-molester or brawling drunk, like Conlin, but we have no way of knowing, right now).

Just don't get too exercised over these people, there's a reason they're doing what they are doing, instead of real work at real jobs. It's just a **** shame they get paid so much for what they do.

Yeah, I remember Conlin, looked a lot like ole' Jer and perfectly epitomized the Philly sports culture at the time...I always think in real life Rocky would have never made it to Rocky II, Philly would have hated him for losing and wanted Dave Schultz to fight Creed.

Ah, Dave Schultz...

[video=youtube;9kApcM6fAVg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kApcM6fAVg[/video]

Advertisement

Bill Conlin was always a scumbag. He was widely hated, and ignored, by Philly sports fans.

It will always be there. They will ALWAYS hate us.

Which is why I became doubly angry at Shalala, bc her solution was to give our haters what they want. Instead of stepping up and slamming our haters to the ground by dominating on the field, she wanted us neutered and irrelevant. It was shameful and made the school, players, and alumni look weak.

It's time for Miami to embrace what we are. The Duke backlash should be a reminder that the only way to shut up the haters is to kick the **** out of them.

Advertisement
tweet by Robert Smith:

Great post, but I wholehartedly disagree with the premise of this statement: "I would have a very difficult time trying to articulate just how overwhelming it is for me to sit here and process how all of these well educated professional adults could consciously chose to take part in such blatantly immature, hypocritical and malicious nonsense."

Sorry, I'm a 'Cane Fan only and I admire all the alums and all they have accomplished, especially those in my own family, but being "well-educated" doesn't mean these people aren't STUPID. I come from the "E" side of the US military and have seen some of the stupidest things done in the military by the most over-educated of "Gentleman Officer." The 'Canes critic's education ("Street Wise" persona Wilbon went to a Catholic Prep school, and then on to private Northwestern) is secondary to keeping "the narrative" in a nice tidy box with a bow on top and the ability keep the money coming in without a lot of effort, i.e., they can keep in the echo chamber, repeat what each other says, and not have to a lot of research on the topics they "cover." Does ESPiN have an early Saturday show rehashing all the stupidity they said on Gameday the previous week? Nope. They are in the business of making you believe THEY are right and if you disagree, YOU are wrong.

Go back to '70s college football. It was a nice tidy package with interest mainly in the Midwest, South and West (after area schools such as Fordham and Army declined, the Northeast turned to the NFL) and the characters and concepts they could easily manage: Bear Bryant, Bo and Woody, The Irish, USC Running Backs, Nebraska vs. Oklahoma, "3 yards and a cloud of dust" etc. But it was BORING and not growing beyond it's niche (turning on the TV one Saturday as a child in the early 70s, I asked my New Yorker Dad who was playing; "it's college, " he replied, "its where players in the NFL come from" and he told me to go do my chores, something never enforced on an NFL Sunday). The NFL was getting exciting throughout the 70's and was getting more and more of the attention. College football desperately needed a change agent, a disruptive force to energize the competion with passing and speed, bring in showmanship for marketing purposes and turn on a whole new generation of fans...That Team was The MIAMI HURRICANES and college football has never been the same.

As we all know, disruptive change always creates market losers. How many pay phones to you see? Typing pools? Miami turned the narrative on its head: Private schools were for the privileged elite to be groomed, not for bringing in minority athletes to compete for (GASP!) football titles, especially in the East. Big Publics in the aforementioned parts of the country had dealt with ND and USC being good because they "followed the rules," but Miami? Didn't they know their place and their "betters?!?"

A whole slew of the college football disenfranchised (of which I include myself) now had a team that reflected what they were about, not what pinky in the air school or big state U was about. Yes friends, Miami may have not sold out the OB, but the fanbase was huge and enjoyed the establishment teams getting beat; the problem was, Miami couldn't eliminate these outmoded teams like pay phones, they just made them mad and revenge minded. Miami brought a BILLION dollars into college football by starting the revolution and making it watchable, heck as enjoyable as the NFL, but was repayed by the old line powers with sabatoge. The media, scared of losing their precious access, became witting accomplices and ten years ago, the ground work they laid, bore fruit for them. It is do or die for the original revolutionaries and no matter what media person appers to be on Miami's side, know that they owe their continued employment just as long as they keep up the "'Canes are Evil" narrative, no matter how untrue or how much it is a diservice to OUR teams student-athletes. Yeah, Student Athletes, these young people DO graduate and are a **** of a lot smarter with one degree then these "well-educated" blowhards whose whole livelihood depends on being on the teat of the people who enforce the narrative.

Oh, BTW it's fair if you negged me earlier if you don't like politics on a sports board, but if you did because you like an establishment person like Hillary who will lie to the family of person in a flag drapped coffin at Dover AFB about who killed them, well you got problems...Remember WHY Obama beat her like a drum in 2008 and remember her lying is worse than Trump's hair, and Fiorina's smile, but those topics are being covered instead. The 'Canes prove the media IS biased, do you think it only happens in sports reporting?

I don't say this often but that was a remarkable post! Well done! I agree wholeheartedly but I must point out that I emphasized the academic background of these media types not because I think that all Ivy league grads are intelligent but to imply that which you so articulately just stated.

As far as negging you, I don't recall ever doing so. I'm no fan of Hillary Clinton. That is for sure.

Last edited:
Nah, I meant everyone else who had negged me on the Republican UM comment; my bad, this was a reply to your post and the last para should have been a separate post.

Thanks for the kudos, I think we might be writing some Sociology papers in this thread, but younger fans, students and alums need to understand why there is animosity to what should be embraced as an institution and team who broke the mold.

tweet by Robert Smith:

I don't say this often but that was a remarkable post! Well done! I agree wholeheartedly but I must point out that I emphasized the academic background of these media types not because I think that all Ivy league grads are intelligent but to imply that which you so articulately just stated.

As far as negging you, I don't recall ever doing so. I'm no fan of Hillary Clinton. That is for sure.

tweet by Robert Smith:

Nicely put. In part it can be explained by our outsider status. Also race certainly plays its role. But when you consider that this hate is not limited to your normally expected sources there must be more to it. Normally your leftist liberal media and academia would not rally around a flag like hating Miami because blacks kids offended the establishment. Yet, they, through Foote and Donna, lead and continue to lead the attack. I think it had to do with the fact that our program success came so much from the players being the primary reason for the dominance. We have no Bear, or massive alumni base, or huge donors funding endless resources. More than any other program, our was of, for and by the kids. Liberals have a violent reaction to blacks making it on their own. They world they live in REQUIRES that blacks, especially black inner city, kids need institutional help to even eat breakfast. Combine that with all those other things and the unique nature of Miami hate is easier to understand. Those kids winning that game with that sandlot play could not be credited to anyone except them -- see?

Very well said!

Advertisement
Back