Will anybody try to make an argument that this Clemson team is the best ever?

15-0 - First time ever.... Beat the #3 and #1 team in the nation in consecutive weeks.... They belong in the conversation...

Advertisement
15-0 - First time ever.... Beat the #3 and #1 team in the nation in consecutive weeks.... They belong in the conversation...

You can take the best players from #2-4 ranked teams, combined, in 2001 and they still wouldn't beat those Canes

The team bama had that one year where they blew out Notre Dame was really good. This Clemson team is the best since Urban Meyer Florida gators teams. I never would have thought Clemson would ever be this good.

No they aren’t. Really good team, great scheme. Their WRs benefited greatly from guys falling in coverage. Clemson has a bunch of long and fast WR. Doubt they could get open vs us in 01. Also Bama moved the ball at Will. They had some questionable red zone calls that doomed them.

Clemson played well to finish but bama pretty much dominated in every category other then score to start that game. They were just out coached and on the 50/50 plays(plays that can go either way) none went bamas way. With that said I was pretty young but I don’t remember Nebraska being close in any stat line.

Clemson played well to finish but bama pretty much dominated in every category other then score to start that game. They were just out coached and on the 50/50 plays(plays that can go either way) none went bamas way. With that said I was pretty young but I don’t remember Nebraska being close in any stat line.

Are there that many dumdums on here that you had to explain what 50/50 plays meant?

Advertisement
I started thinking about this late in the game. It felt like Clemson was playing for the legacy of the 2001 Canes, just like the 2007 Giants played that Super Bowl against New England for the ongoing legend of the 1972 Dolphins. My worst fear was a lopsided Alabama win and the certainty that Alabama would be proclaimed greatest ever. But suddenly I was saying to myself...hey don't overdo it. I remembered Clemson was unbeaten also. I was hoping Alabama would cut into the margin late.

Nebraska 1995 was only a 3.5 point favorite over Florida in the title game. But once that game turned into a massacre all of a sudden the Cornhuskers were being touted as perhaps the best ever. I thought it was telling that Herbstreit and Co. were not mentioning that type of thing regarding Clemson tonight. You don't go from touchdown underdog to best ever within 3 and a half hours.

Agreed. Very strange game for that margin. I can't remember an example of a team that was gaining 8 yards on basic running plays and then gets nothing on the scoreboard.

IMO, Alabama this season went too far astray from its heritage of power formations and it cost them at the end. The offensive line was big and powerful. Nobody pushes Clemson around like that but they were doing it with ease. Put some I formation out there and run a Wisconsin type offense with creative shifts and play action, then blend in the spread concepts. That's the type of 50/50 mixture they needed. For the bulk of the game Clemson had no chance to stop the straight ahead stuff but once Alabama resorted to a weaving sideways runs out of the shotgun then Clemson could penetrate and shut it down.

The softer offensive approach caused the defense and overall team mentality to take a hit. Even Nick Saban was not as intense as normal. Not close. It was like the cupcake style on offense had already served to eat away at Alabama heritage, like grub worms on a root.

Obviously the real answer is 01 Canes all day everyday and twice on Sunday but they did go 15-0 and had two blowout wins in the playoffs and a blowout acc championship win. Bamas biggest margin of defeat in the saban era was 14 before this game, blowing out bama literally never happens. Going into the game it was bama that people were thinking could make a case for greatest of all time, but now is it Clemson’s time for fun in the sun in that debate? Do you guys think this will be a question asked on the talk shows tomorrow and for the rest of time? I hope not cause imo it’s not even close 01 Canes beat them by 21+

What made the 01 squad the best ever assembled wasn't so much their domination/margin of victory vs opponents (although we put it on em that year), as much as it was the collection of talent on the field. Absolute domination at virtually every position that carried on into the next level.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not ever (01 Canes). But this may be one of the best modern champions. This might be Clemson’s best team during Lawrence’s run due to how strong their defense was this year.

Lawrence is mature beyond his age. Trained and mentored for games like last night. Bad thing is ACC has him for two more years. ACC Championship goes thru him. He is so smooth, great arm always under control.

Just keep in mind Coker could’ve run Nebraska off the planet but stopped our offense second half of rose bowl.

But I can’t think of three teams more dominating than Clemson this year

Advertisement
We won’t know if they’re the “greatest” until we see where they’re all drafted but how they played tonight **** sure puts them in the conversation.

Advertisement
I'm going to try to make an argument that I'm the one for Gisele Bundchen and that she should dump Brady for me.

Pretty darn good but truth be truth, major down year in cfb this year. Lawrence puts them in the convo. Bama with frosh all over the field in the secondary was their undoing.

I think both teams are in the discussion. Clemson, their DL and specifically Venables gives them a ahot against any team from anytime. The real surprise of their defense is their secondary, them boys rangy as ****. Their offense is only going to get better, but their DL will take a big hit this year. They will reload, but what they did when it got down to crunch time (Bama on 4th downs), winning like they did by whatever it was and smashing the Domers....they real.

Bama, I feel like they got comfortable. I feel like they thought it was in the bag after Georgia. They are missing the usual dogs on the DL. That offense though was stymied like never before even though they are loaded everywhere.

Probably see them both again next year.
Bama looked like we did against them in the Sugar Bowl. Over confident and mistake prone.

Advertisement
Back