Wide Receiver is our 2nd weakest position by far! (and nobody is talking about it)

Advertisement
If the offense revolves around Jordan and Mallory (as it should) because of their versatility, it lessens the need for an extensive WR rotation.

SMU used a converted WR at TE last year and relied on him heavily. Imagine what Lashlee is envisioning with the double threat.

Miami won't have a ball-hog WR like Proche but Harley, Wiggins, Payton and Pope should play 85% of the WR snaps because everyone else is a true freshman. And we all agree that Jordan should never leave the field and Mallory is really a 'big WR' masquerading as a TE.

We can use 4 "receivers" at a time -- we would need to sub very, very frequently for the freshies to see major time:

1: Jordan, Harley, Wiggins, Mallory

2: Pope, Payton, Hodges, Few

3: Redding, Restrepo, Worsham, Smith

4: Mamarelli, Howard, Lugo, Johnson

Advertisement
If you go position by position we all know that we have massive OL issues (OT, both OGs) but people are talking it. The other major question marks are CB, LB and Striker. However, if you look at some of the players at these positions, they either have guys with upside (guys who have data points that make you excited or ok about them) or their lack of productivity doesn't hurt the team as much.

Our WR performance gets excused for bad play design, poor blocking and shaky QB play. IMO the biggest problem with our WR room is that the guys who are slated to play a lot are our least talented WRs with limited upside and/or serious downside. They do not create separation consistently which is the biggest driver of consistency. While they have made the occasional big play (create the illusion that they have upside), they consistently make mistakes and can't get open or win on their routes against mediocre competition.

WR:
"The starters" / "vets":
1. Mike Harley - by all accounts a hard worker and a good guy, he is just is a rotational WR at best. Does not have any strength or wiggle, doesn't break tackles and doesn't create separation outside of the occasional deeper route (even against bad teams). Not a horrible player, but is small and really has just about maxed out his abilities. Has made countless mistakes leading to TOs over the years and loses in almost any 50/50 ball.

2. Dee Wiggins - People remember the Louisville and FSU games where he was catching long tds creating a false narrative that he has upside and is good. Off memory I can think of at least 3 interceptions (1 weak slant vs FIU, 1 weak 'go' in end zone vs VT, 1 weak out in the end zone vs VT) that were completely his fault for running weak routes, not creating separation. Similar to Harley, just way too easy to cover. Another reason why we weren't scoring points against horrible teams.

3. Mark Pope - I do think Pope has SOME upside in that he has some cutting ability that can make defenders miss in the open field and help him get open. The problem is that he is way too small, weak and not trustworthy! A bad blocker, has BARELY flashed in his first 2 years which does not to make me confident that he is going to take a big step forward. Consistency seems like a long way off.

The issue with these 3 guys is that they played a ton last year and the guys behind them are extremely young with no experience. I worry that the coaching staff uses this dilemma to playing the more experienced guys who won't make as many 'mistakes' but will continue to have us struggling to move the ball and get open.
There is definitely some talent in the young WRs but my biggest concern is size, and playing time cus of the group above.
  • Payton: most important WR on the roster. Need him to step up immediately considering the positive reviews in practice
  • Redding: looks most physically ready to play. Looks strong and decent get off at the line. Will definitely play
  • K Smith: Looks good too with cutting ability but extremely skinny so I don't know how much to trust him to play right away
  • Restrepo: If you watch his film he has good initial burst and get-off. Wouldn't surprise me to see him make plays but he's so small that it also wouldn't surprise me to see him sit in favor of the older group
  • Worsham - if it was based on his junior year I would feel good about him, but his senior year post hip surgery was worrisome and I am not counting on him now
Takeaway: if we don't play the kids we will lose MULTIPLE games because of our WRs inability to get open and make consistent plays.

Other concerns overrated:
CB: like upside of Couch, Williams, Dunson and think Ivey (who sucked last year) has tools to be serviceable if not good. With blades this group should be ok against everyone but top wrs (UNC worries me) and we have the DL who hopefully can manufacture pressure.
Striker: If Frierson plays too much we are in trouble. Slow and bad angles! I love Keonta and think he needs to be the guy who can help improve team speed, tackling and play making
LB: Brooks looked fast late in the year so hopefully he can be at least serviceable. If not we have Huff, and other young LBs. As long as RAGONE doesn't sniff the field and McCloud stays health it shouldn't hurt us too much

A couple of obvious notes:

1. Much of our fanbase thinks ballyhooed recruits that haven't proven anything yet on the field are already all-Americans, especially at wide out, and

2. New system, new WR coach going for a muscle memory type approach versus elaborate schemes and routes. Let's just say if this type approach doesn't bring out the best in the route challenged, nothing is going to do it.

Last edited:
Personally, I’m MORE worried about WR than OL. Harley cannot be a number one receiver on any winning team.

Brevin and Mallory need to carry the load.

I’m also hoping that Lashlee sees these limitations and adjusts his offense accordingly, something Enos could never figure out.

ROFL, will mallory has done about as much in college as transfer tate, both have been trash *** players as, why invoke his name, in fact mallory has been worst than transfer tate when you factor in the ridiculous penalties mallory received.

Advertisement
A couple of obvious notes:

1. Much of our fanbase thinks ballyhooed recruits that haven't proven anything yet on the field are already all-Americans, especially at wide out, and

2. New system, new WR coach going for a muscle memory type approach versus elaborate schemes and routes. Let's just say if this type approach doesn't bring out the best in the route challenged, nothing is going to do it.
… or Busts.

Hands down one of the worst post i've seen on here. OP has no idea what he's talking about. Harley, Pope, WIggins, and Payton have no problem getting separation. All 4 have elite traits. All 4 have the potential being starters in the league. If the Oline can be average you'll see this season. You could have put Jerry Juedy and Henry Ruggs in our offense and they would have done nothing.
O-U-C-H

Advertisement
I disagree the air raid, spread, uptempo alone will up there stats! Anyone with a brain who watched our offence last year cant tell me those kids were put in position to succeed.

My senior year in HS our HC left and they brought in a guy running power option lol before we won 30 games the previous 3 years we ran a spread that was built around a sweeper an 2 rbs we had 3 1000 yard rushers an a 1000 yard receiver **** year every year just off the offence. Senior year only 1 1000 year rusher the FB an he earned that lmao the other 2 didnt break 300 yards. Scheme is everything living proof!
Last year was a **** show. I believe the talent is there just who gonna shine. Pope? Wiggins? Peyton? Harley? Brevin? Mallory? Hmmm I guess I get what you're saying too all those question Mark's speak for there self but I believe this offence we'll get the answers!
Well this aged but certainly not well.

Advertisement
Nah our WR just aren’t that good as I’ve stated before but as soon as you say it the board starts crying. It’s facts. We have zero elite WR on this roster as of now. These dudes last year couldn’t create separation from anyone. Blame the scheme all you want, but at some point you just have to be better than then man in front of you and we weren’t 90% of the time

shoot your shot. So funny looking back on these threads. So many really thought Wiggins, Pope and Harley we’re going to explode this year. Now the scheme is getting them open more, they still can’t separate on their own and catch the ball.

at least Harley and Pope caught the ball yesterday. Wiggins just flat out sucks and has lost all confidence.

give Smith all his reps.

the other major major concern I have is Payton. Dude hasn’t even caught a pass this year. Something isn’t right there

Hands down one of the worst post i've seen on here. OP has no idea what he's talking about. Harley, Pope, WIggins, and Payton have no problem getting separation. All 4 have elite traits. All 4 have the potential being starters in the league. If the Oline can be average you'll see this season. You could have put Jerry Juedy and Henry Ruggs in our offense and they would have done nothing.

hahah elite traits!!!!!

Advertisement
Back