Why we will beat the gators in the regionals...

@Gooner#44 assuming there's a mass exodus following this season, how do you gauge next year's rooster?

Pitching should be improved with most everyone coming back but does this look like a contender?

1B Kayfus
2B Izarra
SS Pitelli
3B Morales
C Perez
DH Thomas
LF Born
CF Long
RF Frank
A lot of guys would have to get a lot better for that starting 9 to make the tournament

Advertisement
@Gooner#44 assuming there's a mass exodus following this season, how do you gauge next year's rooster?

Pitching should be improved with most everyone coming back but does this look like a contender?

1B Kayfus
2B Izarra
SS Pitelli
3B Morales
C Perez
DH Thomas
LF Born
CF Long
RF Frank
This roster looks like one that’s gets another streak started.... not the good kind of streak either 🤣

I don't honestly know but I have seen lesser "athletes" put out there. I needed his bat in the lineup, so that's where I stuck him. IF I were trying this he would take a lot of fly balls in practice to find out.
True, it's not a terribly tough position to play. Only slight changes to your lineup I'd make would be to switch ADC and Gil (too many lefties in a row) and sub Lala out for anybody. I cannot watch him play another game of college baseball.

This roster looks like one that’s gets another streak started.... not the good kind of streak either 🤣
So hard to even attempt to put a 2022 lineup together right now with incoming freshman and transfers playing a large role. But yes, that would not be a great opening night lineup

1B Kayfus
2B Izarra
SS Pitelli
3B Morales
C Perez
DH Thomas
LF Born
CF Long
RF Frank
That looks like the kind of lineup that Rosario, Mederos, AMac and company better not give up more than 3 runs or it's game over. Those 6 ERAs will have us in trouble otherwise.

I actually don't think we see the mass exodus, I think guys like Vilar and Gil are back with the shortened draft and # of draft eligible players.

Advertisement
That looks like the kind of lineup that Rosario, Mederos, AMac and company better not give up more than 3 runs or it's game over. Those 6 ERAs will have us in trouble otherwise.

I actually don't think we see the mass exodus, I think guys like Vilar and Gil are back with the shortened draft and # of draft eligible players.
Good with Vilar and Gil returning. However, I simply cannot take another season of Toral. Kayfus has shown enough to take 1b full time next season regardless of what Toral decides to do.

Off topic, but jumping on an active thread... What is Gates status? Is he injured or did they just give up on him? I know he struggled batting last season, but '19, he batted well.

Off topic, but jumping on an active thread... What is Gates status? Is he injured or did they just give up on him? I know he struggled batting last season, but '19, he batted well.

Advertisement
Keep in mind when looking at next year’s roster that baseball got relaxed transfer rules too. The deadline to enter the portal is July 1.

I mean he’s not wrong. It’s a weak regional. We could win it, but we could also be gone on Saturday. Its a down year for UF and it’ll be a real shame if we don’t take advantage of that.
I don't know if he is wrong or not, was just posting an article I found.

That said Sullivan vs Gino is a mismatch and we have no SP depth. Could we beat them? For sure it is possible. I would give us a 33% chance to advance.

Advertisement
Gates should be able to hit next season, right?

Edit: just found this

Professional position players begin swinging at 150 days (approximately 5 months) after UCLR, while they do not hit in batting practice until 195 days (approximately 6.5 months) and do not hit in a real game until 323 days (approximately 10.7 months) after UCLR. Players see a decrease in hitting utilization after UCLR. On average, players hit in a real game 20 days before fielding in a real game.

Gates should be able to hit next season, right?

Edit: just found this

Professional position players begin swinging at 150 days (approximately 5 months) after UCLR, while they do not hit in batting practice until 195 days (approximately 6.5 months) and do not hit in a real game until 323 days (approximately 10.7 months) after UCLR. Players see a decrease in hitting utilization after UCLR. On average, players hit in a real game 20 days before fielding in a real game.
I have thought from his first days here Gates should hit only, I know he was prized as a recruit as both but 2 years ago the ball had that "jump" off his bat, he was solid at the plate.

Advertisement
I don't know if he is wrong or not, was just posting an article I found.

That said Sullivan vs Gino is a mismatch and we have no SP depth. Could we beat them? For sure it is possible. I would give us a 33% chance to advance.
Oh I know I was just giving my two cents on his opinion. I’d give us around those same odds

He may have been sucking up to Zagacki, but Kendall Rogers says he’s been going back and forth between Florida and us as the winner of the Gainesville Regional.

He may have been sucking up to Zagacki, but Kendall Rogers says he’s been going back and forth between Florida and us as the winner of the Gainesville Regional.
He was a little higher on UF today on D1’s podcast, but he definitely thinks its a toss up. He likes Florida’s performance of late better, but he’s way more optimistic about Miami than anyone on this board.

It’s baseball. Anything can happen. But you and I both know the likely outcome of this regional. And no, it does not shine a nice light on this program.

Advertisement
Back