Why we should win out

Advertisement
That is a fair point, but advanced rating systems take that opponent quality into account. FPI has our defense at 29 and SP+ has it at 16. Traditional stats have it in the same range.

So yes, maybe our defense is playoff-caliber, but it's still quite good.
its good but all this clamoring about Louisville is what i am dispelling. basically the best offense we played all year. people *****ing about giving up yards and points.

cant the OB take ND also

Not for the ACC slot. Per the reports, the OB must take 1 ACC team to face 1 team from the Big 10, SEC, or ND.

So if the OB takes ND, they would still need to take an ACC team.

If ND qualifies for a NY6 bowl, you have to assume the OB would be interested in a Miami-ND matchup, no? Historical rivalry, rematch from the beatdown 2 years ago, red-hot up-and-coming Canes vs. a proud ND team looking to finally break through on the big stage, etc.

Have you read what it would take for us to make the Orange Bowl? Or you're just seeing the words "Orange Bowl" and are assuming we can't make it?

I'll assume the latter, so let me summarize the Herald and PBP reports for you. It's actually extremely realistic.

1) The OB has to take the ACC champion, unless the ACC champion goes to the CFP.
-> Clemson is almost certainly going to the CFP

2) The OB then has to take the highest ranked ACC team, per the CFP top 25.
-> There likely won't be any. Currently there aren't any, and the only teams that still have a shot (Wake, UVA, Pitt, and VT) will either all play each other, meaning they will lose another game to a mediocre team, or still have to play Clemson (regular season or ACCCG), meaning their last game will be a blowout loss. UVA, Pitt, and VT are all locks to end up with 4+ losses, and Wake is looking like a coin flip between a 3-loss season or a 4-loss season. Without any big Ws, Wake will probably be unranked in either scenario.

3) In the case that there is no ranked ACC team besides a CFP-bound ACC champion, the OB can take whichever team they want. I believe the team they choose needs to be within 1 game of the team with the best record that does not get selected, although I'm not positive about this
-> Per SP+, Miami has a 65% chance of winning its last two games. I think most of us would be upset if Miami lost to either FIU or a slumping Duke team. It is reasonable to expect Miami to win its last two games and finish 8-4
-> In that case, Miami would be at 8-4, with every other team either 9-3 (Wake), 9-4 (loser of ACCG), or worse. This makes Miami eligible for the OB
-> I don't know which team the OB would prefer (9-3 Wake, 9-4 or 8-4 VT/UVA/Pitt, or 8-4 Miami), but I think we would have a good shot

Which part of that seems unreasonable to you? It hadn't even crossed my mind as a possibility until last night, but once I read the details it seems extremely plausible.

I read it. Don't think we would be the first pick. Just my opinion.

That is a fair point, but advanced rating systems take that opponent quality into account. FPI has our defense at 29 and SP+ has it at 16. Traditional stats have it in the same range.

So yes, maybe our defense is playoff-caliber, but it's still quite good.

A #29 defense is not a good defense by Miami standards. That’s not much better than the middle of the Power 5.

Advertisement
A #29 defense is not a good defense by Miami standards. That’s not much better than the middle of the Power 5.

Yeah I think you're definitely that troll that got banned a couple of days ago. That guy was really bad with numbers, and so are you.

I gave you a range of estimates for the quality of our defense, and you blindly took the lowest to make your point - and even the worst possible interpretation is that we are an above average P5 defense!

On the other hand, SP+ has us at 16, and we're top 10 or 25 in most/all of the conventional stats (I won't post them all here but you can Google them). Seems like a clear-cut top 25 defense, probably in the top 20 or so. Is a clearly top-25 defense, that is playing its best ball at the end of the year, while led by 2nd-year players, not good enough for this team?

BTW, assuming you are that troll, did you see that our win over Lville was 0% lucky (per Connelly)? LOL. I think I posted that after you got banned. So you were way off on that, too.

I read it. Don't think we would be the first pick. Just my opinion.

I understand it's your opinion. You're entitled to think whatever you want.

But why do you think that? I'm just wondering. This board is no fun if it's just people saying "this is my opinion, take it or leave it!".

I assume we will draw higher ratings and bring more fans to the game than any of the other schools I mentioned - with the possible exception of VT maybe? They travel well as far as I know. But I also think they will lose 2 more times.

Advertisement
I understand it's your opinion. You're entitled to think whatever you want.

But why do you think that? I'm just wondering. This board is no fun if it's just people saying "this is my opinion, take it or leave it!".

I assume we will draw higher ratings and bring more fans to the game than any of the other schools I mentioned - with the possible exception of VT maybe? They travel well as far as I know. But I also think they will lose 2 more times.

I know bowls look at teams and who will draw the most ratings ($$$$) but we don't deserve an OB bid from the way we have played collectively. Yes, the past few weeks are great but just don't see the OB committee taking us if it gets to that point.

I know bowls look at teams and who will draw the most ratings ($$$$) but we don't deserve an OB bid from the way we have played collectively. Yes, the past few weeks are great but just don't see the OB committee taking us if it gets to that point.
Eh if their choices are vt pitt wake us or uva it will be vt or us.

GT was a fluke.Defensive TD. Fake punt TD. Three missed FGs.One of those in a game, ok. Two is crazy. Three is a Wtf.But five things?That’s not happening again.

Go count Florida's, muffed punt, dropped TD pass, missed 27 yd FG it can reach six when you consider some of the horrendous penalties we also took.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back