Why top prospects continue to leave the state of Texas

The cotton bowl is always 1/2 OU fans because they consider it a neutral site game like UF and UGA

I agree with you on everything else...

Fair point, they do an allotment for tickets probably. You’re right. Just an anecdote because I live in Dallas, though, and most people here don’t like either OU or UT, but for those that do like one team, it’s about 50/50, maybe UT being slightly, marginally ahead.

Advertisement
Lots of excuses .

Its the flagship school for the state and they are a flop.

For as big in land mass the state it is...they arent or shouldnt be in the conversation with the state of florida when it comes to Football

LOL why would I make excuses for a team I don’t even like? I’m just answering the OP question on why UT doesn’t pull all the 5 stars in Texas.

In a nutshell, Austin is a small part of a huge state, that’s why. There’s probably more people in Texas who hate UT than root for it.

Texas is about the same as Florida in terms of talent and high school football. In Florida it’s more concentrated in a few schools and in Texas it’s more spread out. Some years Texas is better, other years Florida. I was very impressed back in ‘08 I think it was, when that team from Miami came to DFW and whooped the Southlake Carroll Dragons. Still remember that. It was the Miami team that had Jacory Harris, Tommy Streeter etc.

Every year there is a new "generational" QB, which always makes me laugh. Guess it depends on how you define a generation.
Strong arm? New generational QB. Omg. He can throw the ball 55 yards off platform.

He cant hit receivers in simple QB drills? ***** that, LOOK AT HIS ARM

My goodness; I’ve been trying to tell u guys for yrs that the bag theory is a bull chit excuse.

Some of u live in this O&G glass house & r absolutely fixated that the big, bad boogie man carrying a brown paper bag is the reason y we can’t consistently get top recruits. Now U’re seeing what a known big booster school in UT is going through; why? B/c they ain’t producing on the field or in the draft. Guess what? USC is going through the same chit, bleeding So Cal kids & WC kids to Bama, Oregon, Washington, OSU.

Kids flocked to us not b/c of some over analyzed Pell-grant bull chit or that bytch *** Nevin Shapiro. They flocked to us b/c we were winning. We were winning & absolutely flooding The NFL w/ top rated talent. Those r the facts.

U have 3-4 yrs to provide tape to NFL scouts. Most teams will automatically give u a higher grade once u play for a top tier school. These guys r not going to risk their careers to play for home teams IF home teams ain’t producing.

fwiw, I don’t know that kids “flocked” to us when we were winning. In fact, one insider for the program back in the 00s said that top kids were hesitant to come here because they didn’t think they could start and would have too much comp. tifwiw

Advertisement
Austin is a **** of a town. S
Texas maybe a football hot bed, but it also is full of Quacks, especially up the street in Austin.
Austin is a **** of a town and a great place to be a young person with so many things to do. It's not the city, it's the program.

LOL why would I make excuses for a team I don’t even like? I’m just answering the OP question on why UT doesn’t pull all the 5 stars in Texas.

In a nutshell, Austin is a small part of a huge state, that’s why. There’s probably more people in Texas who hate UT than root for it.

Texas is about the same as Florida in terms of talent and high school football. In Florida it’s more concentrated in a few schools and in Texas it’s more spread out. Some years Texas is better, other years Florida. I was very impressed back in ‘08 I think it was, when that team from Miami came to DFW and whooped the Southlake Carroll Dragons. Still remember that. It was the Miami team that had Jacory Harris, Tommy Streeter etc.
I doubt it. (More ppl hating tx)

Again they are texas flagship.school.

I'm speaking on college football. In florida there is the Big 3. Where all 3 schools ar any given time could go for. Mncs....not the same for tx.

On the high school level..fla has opened up a gap talent wise honestly

I doubt it. (More ppl hating tx)

Again they are texas flagship.school.

I'm speaking on college football. In florida there is the Big 3. Where all 3 schools ar any given time could go for. Mncs....not the same for tx.

On the high school level..fla has opened up a gap talent wise honestly

Believe whatever you want. I live here.

College football in general isn’t that big in Texas. Here in Dallas, it’s all about the Dallas Cowboys, period. And in the rural parts of the state and even in Dallas, with older folks and in some parts of the city, it’s all about high school ball. Friday night lights.

To the extent that people do care, they normally root for the college they went to. And more people didn’t go to UT than did. I don’t know what you mean by a “flagship school” but it doesn’t apply to UT. There is no flagship.

Football in the state of Texas is like we’re living in a bubble and you guys living outside it barely exist. The whole mentality is about rivalries of one part of texas against another, or one Texas school against another. The football culture here is old and goes back generations, and it goes back to the days when you went to the local high school game on a Friday night, and it’s your boys against some other school from some other part of Texas. We are living in our own world, for better or worse.

There is no “flagship school” mentality here. UT doesn’t represent the state. Nobody thinks they do. Even they don’t call themselves that. They represent Austin and all the alumni that school has produced.

fwiw, I don’t know that kids “flocked” to us when we were winning. In fact, one insider for the program back in the 00s said that top kids were hesitant to come here because they didn’t think they could start and would have too much comp. tifwiw

What I mean by that is we were constantly in the top 5 in recruiting & an attractive program not only to So Fla kids, but highly rated national kids. Of course we would have some recruits that would go to school A, b/c school A is easier to get on the field. It’s no different today; Bama, OSU, Clemson ain’t getting all the top kids, they are just getting majority of them. That was us, as well, b/c most top kids want to play for a winning team & have the easiest path to the NFL or NBA.

Advertisement
He is an expert on all things Texas as well as many other things.

Omg. **** this man thought the island would tip and capsize. have no idea how the general kept his composure. I would had lol so hard at that point

Last edited:
Omg. **** this man thought the island would tip and capsize. have no idea how the general kept his composure. I would had lol so hard at that point
It’s not funny. It’s true. It’s a real risk. Have you been to college?

If you’re from the Dallas area or North Texas in general, then Oklahoma is pretty much “in state.”

Norman is probably closer than Austin....it’s about a 2 hr drive and DFW is full of OU grads.

Check out the red river rivalry game sometime, played at the cotton bowl in dallas. It’s at least 1/2 OU fans.

Another issue for UT is that the rest of the state has a love/hate relationship with Austin. Trying to get a kid from Permian to go to UT is like trying to get a kid from Pensacola to go to Miami. Austin is liberal and artsy, but most of the state is rural and red.

Final point is that Texas is huge. You could probably fit five Floridas in the landmass of Texas. It used to be its own country...it’s almost laughable to call it a state at all. It’s massive and very diverse. So needless to say, not everyone loves UT, or gives a **** about Austin.
When it was its own country was it in the UN?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back