Why the obsession with the wide receiver position?

rex karz

Sophomore
Is there a position in football more inflated in importance relative to it's garnering of media and message board attention? Offensive line, gets relatively little attention but is basically the difference between a great year and a bad year. I guess, **** sells.

Advertisement
Every singe thread about the teams success has offensive line mentions throughout it.

O-line is arguably the most important position in football (QB is more important at the pro level). But WR is often talked about because having a bevy of options makes a QB's job much easier.

I'm a harsh critic of Rosier's. But I do buy that his poor showing in the Orange Bowl is partly due to not having a security blanket in Herndon available along with Richards being out. That and we were missing Walton (who missed most of last year), and of course it was a recipe for disaster.

Our WR depth is finally at a respectable level as the unit looks to have upgraded, partly due to the Thomas and Cager's development along with incoming freshmen like Pope and Hightower. And of course returning a healthy Ahmmon is great as well.

WR was a HUGE part of our success last year

Langham won us the FSU & GT games last year.

Having a WR who could go up and get jump balls (Cager, Langham) or be a security blanket (Berrios) or make plays after the catch (Richards) or take the top off the defense (Thomas) shouldn't be underestimated.

I'm interested to see who steps into that "security blanket" role (Berrios/Herndon) this year.

Advertisement
To me it's all the same as the chicken and the egg.

The QB is most important...but what if the WR just keep dropping the ball? WR's are important, but what if no one can throw it to them? The OL is important, but what if they are protecting a crappy QB who can't get the ball out or a RB with lead feet?

I think it's about having the best possible players all over the field and making the best of what you have...trying to fill weaknesses with strength elsewhere. Not sure if one can say what is really the most important position on the field.

Or I could be an idiot.

Is there a position in football more inflated in importance relative to it's garnering of media and message board attention? Offensive line, gets relatively little attention but is basically the difference between a great year and a bad year. I guess, **** sells.
Story of Life...the ones doing all the work ... gets no love

I believe you answered your on question.

The average (****, even the above average) football fan can't begin to tell you what is actually going on in the trenches.

The OP's point about importance is correct but it's kinda obvious why the focus of fan dialogue is on the guys around the ball.

I'll hang up and wait for some hockey or basketball fans to show interest in what goes on away from the puck/ball.

Advertisement
The average (****, even the above average) football fan can't begin to tell you what is actually going on in the trenches.

The OP's point about importance is correct but it's kinda obvious why the focus of fan dialogue is on the guys around the ball.

I'll hang up and wait for some hockey or basketball fans to show interest in what goes on away from the puck/ball.

Man, are you right. Whether watching on TV or sitting in the stadium, unless you're one of those guys that likes to sit in the endzone, and even then you're 100+ yards away from the play for half the game... Anyway, unless reviewing the all 22 on film, it's hard as **** to tell what's going on at the line of scrimmage, especially on the OLine. DLine is more spaced out and generally easier to tell what's going on.

But yeah, even the above average football viewer can tell you if the QB is getting killed, but not usually whether it's one guy on the line, the line communicating poorly or just not understanding the defensive pressure scheme, or sometimes the QB just not making the right reads, checks, or pocket movements.

Most underappreciated position maybe just because it's the least well understood.

The same reason all the fighter pilots get all the ***** and us grunts have to make *** jokes and do oil checks.

It's a Canes thaang....

UM

I'm interested to see who steps into that "security blanket" role (Berrios/Herndon) this year.

This! I was watching a bunch of highlights from last year and Berrios balled out and made a ton of clutch plays. I can’t wait to see someone step up and fill that WR2 role behind AR82.

Whether it’s Cager/Thomas/Harley or one of the talented incoming freshmen of Hightower/Pope, we all can agree we are stacked at the position.

Whether it’s

Advertisement
Here is the order of importance based on NFL pay/position

1. QB
2. WR
3. DE
4. LB
5. LT
6. CB
7. DT
8. RB
9. S
10. G
11. TE
12. C
13. RT
14. P
15. K
16. FB
17. Long Snapper

Most people see the ball, and if you aren't handling the ball they don't notice what you do. If we're being honest, you usually have to look at the OL specifically for anything to jump out. Once in a while somebody does something that is easy to notice, but for the most part (for most people) you only notice those guys when they f up.

This place has a high percentage of hard-core football dorks, so people on here tend to see what the OL does, but most people mostly just watch where the ball goes.

Advertisement
To me it's all the same as the chicken and the egg.

The QB is most important...but what if the WR just keep dropping the ball? WR's are important, but what if no one can throw it to them? The OL is important, but what if they are protecting a crappy QB who can't get the ball out or a RB with lead feet?

I think it's about having the best possible players all over the field and making the best of what you have...trying to fill weaknesses with strength elsewhere. Not sure if one can say what is really the most important position on the field.

Or I could be an idiot.
I agree with you, so that might
make you an idiot. Sorry.

I think a lot of it hits more human nature, instincts, and history.
In general people have always enjoyed witnessing fast guys do their thing. For centuries people who won races were the victors of great prizes and fame.

Even to this day a majority of fans don't go to the Olympics to see the massive shot putters throw heavy objects as far as they can.

They are more willing to see Usain Bolt gallop furiously to glory and claim to be the fastest man on the planet.

Advertisement
Back