Why the O-line will be better.

I think that’s what makes it worse...

With a **** monsoon the game in the trenches should have nullified all gimmicks and came down to talent and want too. Our line should have just been able to lean on theirs creating running lanes.

Fook you searles!!!
Let's not forget the 2 DJ fumbles.

Advertisement
2018 is irrelevant considering Scaife and Donaldson are the only returning contributors. If Gaynor, Herbert, Hillery, Reed, Campbell had been allowed to play in 2018 we'd be in better shape.

Offensive playcalling, I think is the most important variable into why we were terrible last year. I know it's been some time since we saw our canes but I still remember the only 4 plays we ran all year.

I literally cannot stop thinking about you he Duke game last year. Their D-line looked like children compared to our O-line, but they still had their way with our guys with us somehow scoring 12 points.

I think this is emblematic of our offensive struggles last year. We were clearly superior talent wise, but the coaching stifled that. Using easy to read snap counts and a lack of any play diversity to the extent we had makes it almost impossible for any offensive line to have success.

This all goes to say that I don't think we can truly judge our oline yet. There's two advantages to playing offense, the defense doesn't know where the play is going and they don't know when it's starting. Our offense forfeited both of those advantages for last year.

We are not elite on the o-line, but I think it's easy to imagine a huge jump in production from the position similar to the jump the defense made when Manny arrived, just by the virtue of being used in a smarter way that makes their jobs easier.
Those reason, Feeley's training and a OL coach with NFL experience. A few additions and going up against a better conditioned and stronger DL will better prepare the OL as well. Like you I expect the OL to be significantly better.

There comes a time where OL have to win individual matchups. But you can slow down a pass rush when you get a DL moving horizontally and guessing off backfield action and movement in the run game.

Our OL will be more athletic with the S&C program and hopefully make fewer mental errors under Barry. Scheme and positional coaching is not a panacea though. The Bucs (under George Warhop & Barry) had a modern Air Raid/pro hybrid offense that racked up tons of yards but Caleb Benenoch lost an unprecedented amount of 1on1 battles and killed drives. Do we have the depth and consistency to avoid having a weak link or 2 that drag down the offense like an anchor? None of us know the answer to that. To me that's the biggest question going into the season; even more than QB play.

Advertisement
Because they can't possibly get worse.

Right?

Right?

Someone tell me it will be ok.

I'm scurred.

Don’t forget conditioning of Gus was terrible for our O-line. I definitely agree that we are talented on the O-Line than what we saw last year. And I refuse to believe what we saw on the field will have a similar result this year.

Herbert
Hillery
Gaynor
Donaldson
Sciafe

I don’t know the placement, but those five need to be on the field come 8/24. Especially Gaynor.

Take out Herbert and Hillery and out in Reed. Not sure who the other tackle will be.

all above points very valid and good.. but, but he OL was soft as f@#@$ last year.

we need, have to, will be lot better
Well when your soft a$$ corch and clueless oline corch keeps running Mahoney out there, there’s your first problem. After that dude got blown up by a DB against Savannah St I would’ve told him he’s never allowed in the locker room again.

O-line advice: Make yourself a beast during the offseason in the weight room; Work on your footwork; Know the play book and audibles and each Q's cadence timing; start approaching the position like you're a D-Lineman who spits on carpet and talks **** at the line of scrimmage (But be **** sure you did the previous stuff enough that you can back it up, first. One of my favorites, when you get inside the 10 as you break the huddle and are coming up to the line of scrimage you yell to the D " Hey, if you're on this Goaline packge you're getting a lot of playing time tonight, because we're going to be down here all F'n night *******"); Then it's just Mano y Mano - come off the ball like you have a rocket in yo' ****, get where you're supposed to, and beat the guy you're supposed to.

Advertisement
There comes a time where OL have to win individual matchups. But you can slow down a pass rush when you get a DL moving horizontally and guessing off backfield action and movement in the run game.

Our OL will be more athletic with the S&C program and hopefully make fewer mental errors under Barry. Scheme and positional coaching is not a panacea though. The Bucs (under George Warhop & Barry) had a modern Air Raid/pro hybrid offense that racked up tons of yards but Caleb Benenoch lost an unprecedented amount of 1on1 battles and killed drives. Do we have the depth and consistency to avoid having a weak link or 2 that drag down the offense like an anchor? None of us know the answer to that. To me that's the biggest question going into the season; even more than QB play.
The point some of us are trying to make re: scheme and playcalling isn't that it will fix all of the problems, but rather just be an improvement from what we saw last year. We lost a ton of 1 on 1 matchups last year AND played behind the 8-ball because of scheme and playcalling. At least get us to the point where we have a fighting chance.

OL will be better based on them not rotating every other play like a **** hockey team.

Barry is a NFL guy, the best 5 are going to stay out there unless injured.

I concur to an extent, yes O needs to get in sync in battle conditions timing and cohesiveness 👍.

But also if say Zion Or Someone who is on the verge of 1A needs game pressure conditions like 3 quarter type play
GOCANES

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back