Why the O-line will be better.

I literally cannot stop thinking about you he Duke game last year. Their D-line looked like children compared to our O-line, but they still had their way with our guys with us somehow scoring 12 points.

I think this is emblematic of our offensive struggles last year. We were clearly superior talent wise, but the coaching stifled that. Using easy to read snap counts and a lack of any play diversity to the extent we had makes it almost impossible for any offensive line to have success.

This all goes to say that I don't think we can truly judge our oline yet. There's two advantages to playing offense, the defense doesn't know where the play is going and they don't know when it's starting. Our offense forfeited both of those advantages for last year.

We are not elite on the o-line, but I think it's easy to imagine a huge jump in production from the position similar to the jump the defense made when Manny arrived, just by the virtue of being used in a smarter way that makes their jobs easier.

Advertisement

Advertisement
The o-line was never put in a position to succeed schematically. Playing multiple guys out of position for large parts of the season trying to “fix” that only compounded the problem.

Running a non-prehistoric offense will solve a lot of what’s ailed that unit.

Don’t forget conditioning of Gus was terrible for our O-line. I definitely agree that we are talented on the O-Line than what we saw last year. And I refuse to believe what we saw on the field will have a similar result this year.

Herbert
Hillery
Gaynor
Donaldson
Sciafe

I don’t know the placement, but those five need to be on the field come 8/24. Especially Gaynor.

Pretty decent look at some OL in action

Last edited:
I literally cannot stop thinking about you he Duke game last year. Their D-line looked like children compared to our O-line, but they still had their way with our guys with us somehow scoring 12 points.

I think this is emblematic of our offensive struggles last year. We were clearly superior talent wise, but the coaching stifled that. Using easy to read snap counts and a lack of any play diversity to the extent we had makes it almost impossible for any offensive line to have success.

This all goes to say that I don't think we can truly judge our oline yet. There's two advantages to playing offense, the defense doesn't know where the play is going and they don't know when it's starting. Our offense forfeited both of those advantages for last year.

We are not elite on the o-line, but I think it's easy to imagine a huge jump in production from the position similar to the jump the defense made when Manny arrived, just by the virtue of being used in a smarter way that makes their jobs easier.
There's little doubt they should be better. Even if there were no upgrades in players, and none of the players developed from last year to now, it would still function better because it's highly unlikely that the offensive scheme and playcalling will be as bad as last year. The oline was not helped out one bit by the offensive playcalling.

Advertisement
Personally, I still don't get it. If you recall, in 2005, an LSU o-line aided one Joseph Adai in gain 4.9 yards per carry. The OL coach? Stacy Searels. LSU dominated us, only previously getting crushed by Mark Richt at Georgia. Sometimes past success does not dictate future success.

I rewatched duke recently. Jahair Jones was in at LG and was getting consistently abused. Mahoney and boulware must have been out for at least a large portion of the game.

Advertisement
Like I mentioned in another thread earlier today, run game diversity alone might catapult us 50 spots in some offensive rankings. People were on here last few years like "we shouldn't need to trick defenses with concepts!" And, I sat here and wondered what would happen if you faced someone and knew the likely play, the cadence, etc.

Advertisement
all above points very valid and good.. but, but he OL was soft as f@#@$ last year.

we need, have to, will be lot better

In 2017, I told one my fishing buddies (Noel fan in Tally) that it would take a couple years.
This team was talented but just too much youth across the board.
I also told him that this team would be a real contender by 2019 and that was b4 Manny.
11 wins wouldn’t shock me with any offense and this schedule.

Advertisement
Back