Why Roster Management Matters

teddywestside

Band
Banned
Richt is right on the cusp of pulling off a brilliant roster management stunt that has been completely overlooked. Ironically enough, this all came about due to missing out on Edwards and Crank Job.

Coming into the 2016-2017 recruiting season, Miami was faced with a massive conundrum: we needed CBs badly for 2017 knowing Elder and Colbertson were gone. Yet, if we grabbed too many, we would cram up the depth chart with a lot of youth in the year prior to 2018 - which has turned out to be the greatest treasure trove of local CB talent in Florida football history.

So how do you attack this problem? First, you realize that you have 2 legit CB options to build your depth chart with in Young and Redwine. Neither are elite but are at least serviceable and Malek still has time to develop. Then you line up a JUCO kid and a FR for your 2018 class to make a 4 man rotation. The great thing about this is that Dean could easily leave early for the NFL with a big year, which opens up a spot for 2018. Then you add the final piece in Dee Delaney. A solid grad transfer that is one and done and will open up yet another spot in 2018 while filling a big need in 2017. Now you have a 5 man rotation with speed, size, and even a decent amount of experience.

The best thing? You've structured it in a way that makes it so when the 2018 class is poring over the school's depth chart, they're gonna see a TON of playing time possibilities. Mayes and Henley will be asked to graduate by then. Michael Jackson moved to safety (and perhaps to another school by then). Dean with a big year could easily be gone. Delaney will go off to the NFL. The only surefire returnees for 2018 are Malek Young, Trajan Bandy, and Sheldrick Redwine. That's 3 bodies for a position group that usually stacks 7 deep.

This is how you create an enticing depth chart. Especially since Young and Bandy might best be suited as the 1-2 punch for the nickelback role, which frees up the boundary and the field cornerback depth charts even more with only Redwine there - and i dont think any of the 2018 CBs are initimidated by Redwine. This depth chart is perfect for big and fast CBs like Blades, Ivey, Jobe, and Campbell to slip right in and see immediate playing time.

Advertisement
This will require / has required a little good fortune. We wanted both CJ and Edwards and really, we needed them. Not just as bodies but as contributors. So when we didn't get them, we did the next best thing and that is seek more help. If we get Delaney that is a patch job. Fortunately, a patch job that could work out immensely. That's what good coaches do! Same thing happened the year before getting Colbert.

2018 will definitely load us up with CB's, but there will still be a gap in classes, so we still need to hope Dean is still here, or we pick up another vet, OR Redwine/Young continue to develop into much greater than serviceable players to give the 2018 class a year to develop.

In the end, that 2018 class could potentially be that class to restore balance to the force.

Sometimes, it's better to be lucky than good. Folden did the same thing at DT when he missed all his first and second targets and had to settle for the studs currently on our roster.

Advertisement
Manny Diaz talked about this with Matt Porter. They didn't want too many young guys because the 2018 is loaded. When recruits see how Delaney and Dean play, they will know that Elder and Colbert weren't one year wonders. Players want to get to the NFL, and we are going to be sending guys there often.

If McWhoppie came like he said, we probably only land one of Lo & Cam. Sometimes its just better to be lucky.

You made good points but Dean, who was dropped by Alabama and has yet to player in a Power 5 CFB game is a candidate to leave early for the NFL?

Advertisement
This will require / has required a little good fortune. We wanted both CJ and Edwards and really, we needed them. Not just as bodies but as contributors. So when we didn't get them, we did the next best thing and that is seek more help. If we get Delaney that is a patch job. Fortunately, a patch job that could work out immensely. That's what good coaches do! Same thing happened the year before getting Colbert.

2018 will definitely load us up with CB's, but there will still be a gap in classes, so we still need to hope Dean is still here, or we pick up another vet, OR Redwine/Young continue to develop into much greater than serviceable players to give the 2018 class a year to develop.

In the end, that 2018 class could potentially be that class to restore balance to the force.

Think Delaney or someone of the sorts was needed either way. Our only worthy CB with any game time was Young, we desperately needed immediate help there regardless of Henderson or Edwards. Dean was a huge pickup but we needed more help and if we get Delaney then we have a functional secondary to go with a stout front 7.

Don't think we "needed" Henderson. Atleast not for this yr considering he is unbelievably raw at CB. I personally don't think he would have beaten out Dean, Young or Bandy this year. Maybe he could have beaten out Redwine on shear athletic ability alone but I still don't think so. Whose better, sophomore yr Henderson or Freshman Frierson, Jobe, Campbell, Blades, etc?? Give me guys that have played the position pretty much there entire lives over an athletic freak (soft btw) who hasn't played the position at all outside of not doing well at a couple allstar events.

You made good points but Dean, who was dropped by Alabama and has yet to player in a Power 5 CFB game is a candidate to leave early for the NFL?

Agree that it's early to pencil this guy into the draft, but I wouldn't hold bama against the him. They're embarrassingly loaded at pretty much every position, so they pass on guys that can do good stuff at this level.

Advertisement

The dropped by Alabaga thing is meaningless, but I agree that it's way too early to start talking about Dean leaving early. My scientific formula on this sort of situation tells us that there's actually only a 7.46% chance of Dean being one and out.

Don't think we "needed" Henderson. Atleast not for this yr considering he is unbelievably raw at CB. I personally don't think he would have beaten out Dean, Young or Bandy this year. Maybe he could have beaten out Redwine on shear athletic ability alone but I still don't think so. Whose better, sophomore yr Henderson or Freshman Frierson, Jobe, Campbell, Blades, etc?? Give me guys that have played the position pretty much there entire lives over an athletic freak (soft btw) who hasn't played the position at all outside of not doing well at a couple allstar events.
Only way BJ Henderson was going to play CB here this year is if we lost a bunch of guys to injury. The guy couldn't even start in a 3rd rate all star game against Canada. He's more raw than Kim Halsey's pvssy after that 620 dude bang out.

Advertisement
Delaney & Dean are better options for this season than Hendo & Edwards...

Henderson wasn't gonna play no matter what day 1 & Edwards could've played, but his delusion that he's a CB would've held him back, he's a SS whether he knows it or not.

Now obviously, they have more potential & upside, but we don't necessarily need that for this upcoming season, Dean & Delaney gives us what we need the most in our secondary, which is experience.

I agree with what you wrote, except for your opinion that Redwine is anything but below average as a CB.
Just a fact that the staff is unimpressed by him to the point where the coaches made a bet where the winner gets Michael Jackson and the loser gets Redwine (which is why Jackson is at S now). I doubt this kid sticks around too long, he's immediately going to get passed up by Dean and Delaney imo. And he can't play the slot. And then once the 2018 class gets here he has absolutely no shot.

As far as overall roster managment is concerned I'm very happy we only took 24 kids this yr, and hopefully wont get more than about 25 this class. When you start signing too many it really ***** everything up for the next yr. And [MENTION=2]DMoney[/MENTION] or whoever really needs to fix the Eligibility chart because right now its trash, but at least you can see the seniors and juniors there and how many of them might be gone after this year. If I had my wish on who would leave early we'd only have Walton, Gauthier, ST Louis, the 4 DL, and Jaquan as seniors next yr (and half them might declare early). that would make 18 seniors in 2 yrs which is pretty ****** and sets us up so that we aren't going to be able to sign full classes in the next few yrs.

Did someone make a thread saying roster management matters? Captain obvious, is that you?

Advertisement
Back