Why Richt Could be the GUY

Canecanecane

Freshman
First the guy is 55 years old. That's not too old at all. He makes only $3.2-$3.5mm and is getting a $4 buyout. So I could see him getting $3, which is very much in our range. That gets two things out of the way.

Now on the field and most important from a football standpoint.

- He's has 5th highest win percentage of any active coaches. This is behind Saban, Urban, Patterson, and Stoops. Great company.
- 9-3 this year even when losing his best player, with a huge issue at QB
- 9, 10 win seasons with this season potentially being another.
- 9 -5 in bowl games
- Most players in the NFL since 2002

All this in the SEC.

- The knock is championships but keep in mind this.

Since he started as the coach of Georgia there have been 10 championships won by Urban, Saban, Pete Carroll, and Bob Stoops.

So a few coaches have won a ton of championships while he has been coach.

He's a winner and would right the Miami program immediately.

Keep in mind I like Butch, but Richt actually has a better resume. Would be extremely happy with either.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm all for Richt....coaches in arguably the toughest conference....consistently wins 10+ games. No championships, but neither did JJ when he came over. Great recruiter, has ties to So Fla....think he can kill it here in the ACC. I know a lot of fans are down on him b/c of his perceived under achieving at UGA but I think he will bring a legacy here at Miami. He was always my dark horse.

Still prefer Butch or Herman, but I def wouldn't be mad at a Richt hire

Like i tell a couple of my friends that are Georgia fans....if you are happy with winning 9-10 games a year..then Richt is your guy......If they hire him it just shows that they dont care about competing for championships

Advertisement
Sounding like he may not want to coach right now, but if he does I'd want him here. He would have a much easier time winning at UM in the ACC than at UGA in the SEC. Provided his heart is in it.

Anti-savage, 5-11 vs UF, brings nothing elite to the table

SEC East isn't strong, why do people keep acting like its the SEC West?

Advertisement
Like i tell a couple of my friends that are Georgia fans....if you are happy with winning 9-10 games a year..then Richt is your guy......If they hire him it just shows that they dont care about competing for championships

x10000

Apparently the goal of most of these people on the board isn't National Championships anymore.

9-10 games in the SEC is 11 to 12 in the ACC

Advertisement
What defensive scheme did he run at UGA?

He ran a 4-3 until the last few seasons under DC Pruitt (3-4).

Grantham ran a 3-4 as well before Pruitt. I can't even remember who was before that

I believe it was Willie Martinez and before him the guy who is currently the ND DC, Brian Van Gorder,
or whatever his name is.

They ran 4-3 defenses.
Van Gorder was good, Martinez wasn't and got canned.

With all this Cristobal, Strong, and Schiano nonsense...I'd happily take Richt.

Advertisement
Apparently everyone forgets that Urban was at UF and Saban is on the other side, SEC West. He's been going against two of the top coaches of this generation. Dabo and Jimbo are not that. He won the SEC East 6 times. He's not Saban, but if scraps is 5th highest win pct coach out there then so be it. He's won 10 games 9 times IN SEC but some want a guy who won 10 games in AAC with 11. Guy is more than legit, UGA just wants to bring in new blood.

Richt would kill it in the woeful Coastal Division. He would 10-12 games every year, have us in the top 10 and relevant! Winning championships would be there. It's the ACC!

Advertisement
Back