Why not kick the ball out of bounds?

The last 2 weeks we have come back in dramatic fashion. We have only a few seconds left and have to kickoff. Given our last play heroics at Duke 2 years ago, why not just kick the ball out of bounds and make the offense take one last heave? At least you can defend that better than a bunch of laterals all across the field. Blows my mind.

Advertisement
Perfectly ok with them trying to beat us with laterals instead of with Jeune. Risks of holding, pass interference just not worth it. Not a great game plan today, but that was the right call.

Advertisement
The last 2 weeks we have come back in dramatic fashion. We have only a few seconds left and have to kickoff. Given our last play heroics at Duke 2 years ago, why not just kick the ball out of bounds and make the offense take one last heave? At least you can defend that better than a bunch of laterals all across the field. Blows my mind.

I think the better question is.....why center up the ball between the hashes and call a timeout with 8 seconds left to kick it. Just call the TO with 3 seconds left and the FG ends the game.

Advertisement
I rather see us defending laterals rather than hail mary pass being defended by Knowles

Is there ANYTHING some posters won't whine about.

Jesus, the chance of a Duke game lateral TD is far less than a Hail Mary

I agree. I’d much rather they get the ball at the 35 with one play. They can’t throw. One crease on the KO or one lateral and it’s over. Would rather rush 3-4 and play prevent than defend the KO.

Advertisement

I think the better question is.....why center up the ball between the hashes and call a timeout with 8 seconds left to kick it. Just call the TO with 3 seconds left and the FG ends the game.

Because it was 3rd down and if you have a bad snap you can get a TO called to do it again..

Only thing I can think is it wasn't on 4th down so you save the time just in case you have a bad snap you have time for another shot.

Advertisement

Common practice to give yourself extra time to attempt another play in case of a bad snap, especially in the rain.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

fg

Only thing I can think is it wasn't on 4th down so you save the time just in case you have a bad snap you have time for another shot.

Yea what I said...lol...^^^^^^

Because you can back them up 5 yards and make them re kick instead of just taking it at the 35. So there goes that idea genius. If you can start a new thread, I’m sure you can google “penalty for kick off out of bounds”. It’s baffling how many of you watch football every week and post on football forums, but don’t know the god **** rules.

Miami didn't have any timeouts left. They called their last timeout with 8 seconds left. If there's a bad snap with 8 seconds left the game is over.

Advertisement
Back