Why not kick the ball out of bounds?

The last 2 weeks we have come back in dramatic fashion. We have only a few seconds left and have to kickoff. Given our last play heroics at Duke 2 years ago, why not just kick the ball out of bounds and make the offense take one last heave? At least you can defend that better than a bunch of laterals all across the field. Blows my mind.

I think the better question is.....why center up the ball between the hashes and call a timeout with 8 seconds left to kick it. Just call the TO with 3 seconds left and the FG ends the game.
Common practice to give yourself extra time to attempt another play in case of a bad snap, especially in the rain.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That was their last TO. There is no "extra play" if there's a bad snap. The game is most likely over.

Advertisement
The last 2 weeks we have come back in dramatic fashion. We have only a few seconds left and have to kickoff. Given our last play heroics at Duke 2 years ago, why not just kick the ball out of bounds and make the offense take one last heave? At least you can defend that better than a bunch of laterals all across the field. Blows my mind.

I think the better question is.....why center up the ball between the hashes and call a timeout with 8 seconds left to kick it. Just call the TO with 3 seconds left and the FG ends the game.

why do something that makes that much sense ?

because it was 2nd down so if it was a bad snap you could have another opportunity
mane by the way just because you kick it out of bounds doesn’t mean the receiving team has to accept it. They can refuse it move kicking team back 5 yards and rekick it.

because it was 2nd down so if it was a bad snap you could have another opportunity
mane by the way just because you kick it out of bounds doesn’t mean the receiving team has to accept it. They can refuse it move kicking team back 5 yards and rekick it.

They didn't have a timeout left, so if it's a bad snap with 8 seconds left the game is over.

They didn't have a timeout left, so if it's a bad snap with 8 seconds left the game is over.

Tech called that last timeout to ice the kicker.

Advertisement

Field was wet. If snap goes bad or Badgely falls, the holder can fall on the ball and we get another change to kick it. It was a good call.

Why start this thread?

Because the last two games I’ve been screaming at the kicker to just kick it out of bounds. If I’m wrong, explain why. I would just hate to give up a KR td after taking the lead.

kicking it out of bounds puts it at the 40 right? then they can run a hail mary or any other type of play and go 60 yards

or kick it off and make a runner go 80 yards demoralized with a td just being scored and 11 men running at him

okay well that was the emotional response,

the statistical response is that more teams score 60 yard touchdowns than teams score kickoff return touchdowns, no need to get fancy just kick

Because you're on a wet sloppy field. If you get a bad snap, the 8 seconds gives you a chance to recover and still try the kick again. With 3 seconds it's game over. It's situational football.

And I'm not worried about a run back TD at the end of a game. There's a reason ESPN hyped our run back against Duke 2 years ago, it just doesn't happen normally. Hail Mary's for TDs on the other hand happen far more often.

Advertisement

Because you're on a wet sloppy field. If you get a bad snap, the 8 seconds gives you a chance to recover and still try the kick again. With 3 seconds it's game over. It's situational football.

And I'm not worried about a run back TD at the end of a game. There's a reason ESPN hyped our run back against Duke 2 years ago, it just doesn't happen normally. Hail Mary's for TDs on the other hand happen far more often.

For the final time. MIAMI called their final timeout with 8 seconds left. The ref called timeout GT then corrected it to Miami. The announcer misspoke and said GT, then corrected it too. Rosier clearly calls the TO as he's getting up. They didn't have any timeouts left. So if a bad snap occurs it's game over anyways.

Field was wet. If snap goes bad or Badgely falls, the holder can fall on the ball and we get another change to kick it. It was a good call.

Miami had zero timeouts. If the snap goes bad who's going to call timeout? Georgia Tech?

Tech called that last timeout to ice the kicker.

The last timeout was called by Miami. The scoreboard had it wrong.

Miami had zero timeouts. If the snap goes bad who's going to call timeout? Georgia Tech?
If it's a bad snap u can spike it or throw it away, u don't necessarily need a timeout. With how wet the field was I have no problem with giving ourselves a few extra ticks.

Advertisement
Because you can back them up 5 yards and make them re kick instead of just taking it at the 35. So there goes that idea genius. If you can start a new thread, I’m sure you can google “penalty for kick off out of bounds”. It’s baffling how many of you watch football every week and post on football forums, but don’t know the god **** rules.

Answer was great. ****ness was unnecessary. Why asking a football question on a football board upsets you is beyond my comprehension. And begging folks to Google instead is begging to take money out of our beloved DMoney's pockets.

Hey I have a question...what happens when miami is the only undefeated team in the ACC, ranked in top 10, and winning?

Answer: some "fans" find something to complain about.

Doesn’t make the clock run out. Also, I’m assuming you meant a touchback, through the end zone.

It’s a fine decision. Miami’s lateral play is a once in a million.

Advertisement
If it's a bad snap, the holder has 8 seconds to sail it out the back of the endzone and try again.

Football 101.

How often laterals work? Plus the clock runs out regardless. I rather that then them throwing it and risking PI. That's just me.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Approved Ruling 6-2-1

I. A kickoff from Team A’s 30-yard line goes out of bounds untouched
by Team B.

RULING: Team B has three options. It may accept a
five-yard penalty from the previous spot with Team A kicking from
the 25-yard line,
or put the ball in play at Team B’s 40-yard line at
the inbounds spot, or put the ball in play at the inbounds spot after a
five-yard penalty from the spot where the ball went out of bounds.
thanks that clears things up

Advertisement
Back