Why isn't Butch Davis hot name for other schools?

How do you know no one has contacted him? I've got buddies in Maryland saying they want Butch Davis and they heard rumors that that's who they are going to get, I've heard UCF as a possibility, and I've heard USF before they hired Taggart. I'm sure age is a big factor, UNC scandal as well.

In reality a lot of schools are looking for a young up and coming coach. Miami needs someone established as we can no longer take that chance or we are done. We have struck out 3 times in a row on that route. Most schools of Miami's caliber don't miss 3 times in a row on coaching searches. UF missed on Zook and Muschamp, got it right on Urban and McElwain.

I'm from TN and it's no different than them missing 3 times in a row, and their fans are begging for Fulmer back, yet no one else wants him. UM and UT are the only schools that have traditions of football power that I can think of missing on so many consecutive terrible coaching hires.
Please stop with the safe hire crap. We need a great hire and we need to move this program forward. I'm so tired of the safe Miami guy hire. It's as big of a myth as all we need is a recruiter bro and the rest will take care of itself bro.

Truth is you want this program back to competing then bring in a bold hire that will take us away from the past decade of trying to out talent everyone and bring in a real coach that knows football.

I agree about the recruiter bs, it's so over rated. I'm not saying we need a safe hire, we need someone established. If we need a great hire, do you not put Butch in that category? That's insane. Give me a realistic name, outside of Saban and Urban that we can get that you know is a great hire and no chance he ***** this up? You can't. Butch Davis has done it before and can do it again. I can say that confidently because I know he values a great staff and that's what we will get with Butch.

Like I said, there's plenty of names I would take, I'm not "Butch or nothing". But in reality I just haven't heard that name that is better. Butch should be the standard of this hire. He is the guy we base every other candidates resume on. If we find a better one then **** ya, if not you hire Butch. I'll just start by saying Mario, Chud, Schiano, Pagano, etc worked UNDER Butch. That has to have some value to it. I can't consider any of them better. That's just the way I look at it. I'm not looking for safe or a recruiter or whatever. I'm all in that we need a great coach and nothing else and my opinion is that Butch Davis is that guy that fits the bill. Other names that are intriguing are Herman, Babers, Mullen, etc. But none of them are guaranteed to work like Butch has already proven, but if we take a chance on them then I'm fine with it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
EVERYBODY KNOWS WHERE BUTCH WANTS TO BE!

ADs would hire him with the risk of him leaving for Miami!

Plus, Butch only wants one job............MIAMI!

NO UNC Stigma....he was cleared of scalndal that began in 1993

EVERYBODY KNOWS WHERE BUTCH WANTS TO BE!

ADs would hire him with the risk of him leaving for Miami!

Plus, Butch only wants one job............MIAMI!

NO UNC Stigma....he was cleared of scalndal that began in 1993

BUTCH MUTHA****IN DAVIS *****ES!!

Because he was an avg coach at UNC who got fired for the NCAA bullchit he went thru.

The hope at Miami is that his avg coaching will take a backseat to his ability to recruit the area and his ability to find gems that previous coaches ignored.

You cant argue that previous coaches missed out on so much SFL talent that its the reason we have zero depth.

To me thats the number one thing Butch can bring back to the U. I expect him to be able to hold on to these classes that we have in line now and to fill them up with some other 3 star guys that will be studs.

I also expect him to dumb things down and make things less complicated and rely on Miami speed much more than Golden did.

I dont think he has the contacts in SFL that he once did and he has been out of coaching for some time and many of the coaches around here were not around when he was head coach at UNC.

I pray he will bring in the right coordinators and be as passionate about recruiting as he was back in the day.

I also hope that people (coaches, kids and fans) jump on his bandwagon because he is, what Miami was, when Miami was great.

Miami is a sleeping giant and there are only a few coaches who can wake it quickly.

Chip Kelly simply because of his name.
Charlies Strong because of his ability to recruit SFL.
Butch because of his ability to find the talent and motivate the fan base.

Everyone else will likely need to win before they can impact significant change and that will take time because of our depth issues.

Advertisement
Does anyone know what really happened with him and USF?

He wanted the job when Skip Holtz got fired from there.
He was already in Tampa acting as a football consultant to Greg Schiano when he was the head coach of the Bucs.

USF ended up hiring Willy Taggart from Western Kentucky as head coach.

This has been discussed ad nauseum. Stigma from UNC scandal, age, holding out for UM job.

I do agree though it seems the most talked about candidates for the UM job are people no one wants. Cristobal Butch Chud. That's concerning.

That wouldn't stop a program from pursuing.

This has been discussed ad nauseum. Stigma from UNC scandal, age, holding out for UM job.

I do agree though it seems the most talked about candidates for the UM job are people no one wants. Cristobal Butch Chud. That's concerning.

Nfl teams are interested in chud as a oc.

And the point remains that not a single college program is even uttering the name Chud.

That's because Chud is viewed as an NFL guy and been out of the college game for 12 years. Miami might be the only school that he might return for if offered. Chud is a very smart guy but I don't think he's a good fit for the college grind. As I recall he hated the recruiting game. That's a big part of the job description

Does anyone know what really happened with him and USF?

He wanted the job when Skip Holtz got fired from there. He was already in Tampa acting as a football consultant to Greg Schiano when he was the head coach of the Bucs. USF ended up hiring Willy Taggart from Western Kentucky as head coach.

So they chose Taggart over Butch? Couldn't remembered how it all transpired. Crazy.

Advertisement
The reality is that Chud may not be interested in this job. He's going to get HC interviews again this offseason, and we also don't know the dynamic with Davis wanting the job. Guys like Chud and Pagano may not be pursuing this because Butch is.

I'm pretty sure other P5 schools have approached him about their vacancies - there was a hot rumor that Arkansas approached him for their gig before they settled on Bellyleima.

I really think it's because Butch for the past couple of years has pretty much made it apparent that it's Miami or nothing for him to return to a coaching capacity. I personally want Butch or Chud but I believe Chud will stay in the NFL. It doesn't look like he has a desire to turn back to the college game yet.

Advertisement
How do you know no one has contacted him? I've got buddies in Maryland saying they want Butch Davis and they heard rumors that that's who they are going to get, I've heard UCF as a possibility, and I've heard USF before they hired Taggart. I'm sure age is a big factor, UNC scandal as well.

In reality a lot of schools are looking for a young up and coming coach. Miami needs someone established as we can no longer take that chance or we are done. We have struck out 3 times in a row on that route. Most schools of Miami's caliber don't miss 3 times in a row on coaching searches. UF missed on Zook and Muschamp, got it right on Urban and McElwain.

I'm from TN and it's no different than them missing 3 times in a row, and their fans are begging for Fulmer back, yet no one else wants him. UM and UT are the only schools that have traditions of football power that I can think of missing on so many consecutive terrible coaching hires.
Please stop with the safe hire crap. We need a great hire and we need to move this program forward. I'm so tired of the safe Miami guy hire. It's as big of a myth as all we need is a recruiter bro and the rest will take care of itself bro.

Truth is you want this program back to competing then bring in a bold hire that will take us away from the past decade of trying to out talent everyone and bring in a real coach that knows football.

Never seen a group of fans as scared as UM's. They talk this "safe" hire nonsense. There's no such thing. 9 wins isn't a safe hire at UM. 9 wins should get your tail fired at UM.

Here's what the standard should be, and here's what you should be looking for: Either you're a championship level HC, or you should get fired. There should be no in-between here. This ain't Vag Tech or West Virginia or some other middling program where an occasional 10 win season and a bunch of 8 and 9 win seasons gets you a ticker tape parade.

Never seen a group of fans as scared as UM's. They talk this "safe" hire nonsense. There's no such thing. 9 wins isn't a safe hire at UM. 9 wins should get your tail fired at UM.

Here's what the standard should be, and here's what you should be looking for: Either you're a championship level HC, or you should get fired. There should be no in-between here. This ain't Vag Tech or West Virginia or some other middling program where an occasional 10 win season and a bunch of 8 and 9 win seasons gets you a ticker tape parade.

Which is exactly what Clappy was, after he ran out of Butch's players.

Who is after any of those guys...?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back