Why isn't Butch Davis hot name for other schools?

Advertisement
How do you know no one has contacted him? I've got buddies in Maryland saying they want Butch Davis and they heard rumors that that's who they are going to get, I've heard UCF as a possibility, and I've heard USF before they hired Taggart. I'm sure age is a big factor, UNC scandal as well.

In reality a lot of schools are looking for a young up and coming coach. Miami needs someone established as we can no longer take that chance or we are done. We have struck out 3 times in a row on that route. Most schools of Miami's caliber don't miss 3 times in a row on coaching searches. UF missed on Zook and Muschamp, got it right on Urban and McElwain.

I'm from TN and it's no different than them missing 3 times in a row, and their fans are begging for Fulmer back, yet no one else wants him. UM and UT are the only schools that have traditions of football power that I can think of missing on so many consecutive terrible coaching hires.
Please stop with the safe hire crap. We need a great hire and we need to move this program forward. I'm so tired of the safe Miami guy hire. It's as big of a myth as all we need is a recruiter bro and the rest will take care of itself bro.

Truth is you want this program back to competing then bring in a bold hire that will take us away from the past decade of trying to out talent everyone and bring in a real coach that knows football.

Never seen a group of fans as scared as UM's. They talk this "safe" hire nonsense. There's no such thing. 9 wins isn't a safe hire at UM. 9 wins should get your tail fired at UM.

Here's what the standard should be, and here's what you should be looking for: Either you're a championship level HC, or you should get fired. There should be no in-between here. This ain't Vag Tech or West Virginia or some other middling program where an occasional 10 win season and a bunch of 8 and 9 win seasons gets you a ticker tape parade.

Which is why - even though Im not completely against some of the proposed UM-laced coaching staffs - that I want to go the Brian Billick route and 'blow this whole thing up' and go with new, fresh ideas for the program. Bring in a total outsider, who brings in new ideas, new energy, new concepts - but with the understanding of what the Miami standard is in football. There seems to be a lot of revisionist history as it relates to some of our past coaches(which quite frankly, I get)

Im convinced that whoever the new coach is, they have a nice foundation to work with.

But 'safe' ehhh, f' that. Go bold. My criteria for our new coach is this: does he understand that college football is now a fast-paced game( for the most part) and that in many games it's a race to 50 points and defensively, play a base four man front that attacks and doesn't insist that 3 linebackers have to be on the field at all times

Last edited:
Because nobody wants him many jobs have been open over the past several years butch davis is not interviewed it would be like interviewing lou holtz for a job now

Advertisement
Because nobody wants him many jobs have been open over the past several years butch davis is not interviewed it would be like interviewing lou holtz for a job now

Other than Lou Holtz being 78 and having been out of coaching since 2004 while going 33-37 at South Carolina but yeah other than that.

This has been discussed ad nauseum. Stigma from UNC scandal, age, holding out for UM job.

I do agree though it seems the most talked about candidates for the UM job are people no one wants. Cristobal Butch Chud. That's concerning.

It is. Then you have fans who flip out when legitimate candidates like Herman are mentioned.

This narrative is becoming a little extreme - just like those posters. There are probably 7 very abrasive guys who go around the site(s) going nuts if anyone other than Butch is mentioned. There are dozens of guys (as shown by the preference thread) who just prefer Butch as a fit here, but would be elated with either.

Advertisement
This has been discussed ad nauseum. Stigma from UNC scandal, age, holding out for UM job.

I do agree though it seems the most talked about candidates for the UM job are people no one wants. Cristobal Butch Chud. That's concerning.

It is. Then you have fans who flip out when legitimate candidates like Herman are mentioned.

This narrative is becoming a little extreme - just like those posters. There are probably 7 very abrasive guys who go around the site(s) going nuts if anyone other than Butch is mentioned. There are dozens of guys (as shown by the preference thread) who just prefer Butch as a fit here, but would be elated with either.

Butch Davis is a God.

I'm pretty sure other P5 schools have approached him about their vacancies - there was a hot rumor that Arkansas approached him for their gig before they settled on Bellyleima.

There's a rumor that Cristobal is the leading candidate to be Miami's next HC ... Does that mean it's true?

Butch may have been interested, but there is no way Arkansas would have paid more to hire Bielema if they thought Butch was a legit option.

He may have been given a courtesy interview, which is what I suspect we do ... But there is a reason programs like Arkansas, Texas, and Florida chose to go with someone other than Butch. And 2 of those coaches came from the AAC and Mountain West conference ...

Advertisement
Back