Why is this so difficult?

bornagaincane

Recruit
Is hiring a competent HC this difficult? Why has it appeared so difficult for Miami lately since Butch? What did we do right up to Butch that we are not doing now? I’m baffled to see other schools getting it right and we can’t. I’m tired of starting over every few years. Please get this thing right for once. It can’t be this difficult? Either you are dead serious about football or concentrate on trying to be the best Harvard of the south that you can be. However, remember this. It is football that brought Miami this far. It will be football that will maintain Miami.

Advertisement
Is hiring a competent HC this difficult? Why has it appeared so difficult for Miami lately since Butch? What did we do right up to Butch that we are not doing now? I’m baffled to see other schools getting it right and we can’t. I’m tired of starting over every few years. Please get this thing right for once. It can’t be this difficult? Either you are dead serious about football or concentrate on trying to be the best Harvard of the south that you can be. However, remember this. It is football that brought Miami this far. It will be football that will maintain Miami.
We have an deadly incompetent administration and AD. End. Of. Story.

Lil-help-beach-ball-throw-back.gif

Jokes on us brotha! Nobody gives a ***k about this program except for us. Even Manny is okay with being average like this.

Advertisement
If hiring a good/competent head coach was easy, the same 3-4 coaches wouldn't be in the playoffs year in and year out.

Come on, my brotha...it’s not just about the CFP; my man, we’re not even getting to the point of winning our division or 10 games. At this point, I’m cool w vying for a top tier bowl game w/ consistency like a Wisconsin or PSU (excluding this yr), or Oregon (excluding this yr).

We’re closer to a G5 school than a P5 school, and I would love to get back to a consistent P5 team that wins 9-10 games yrly (and boy, I’m lowering my standards lately)

We have a ****** AD and a University President that could not give two ***** about football. Not trying to make this about politics at all but U Miami is an extremely liberal school. Name me one liberal school that has even sniffed the playoffs in the last 12 years? Notre Dame is the perhaps the closest but its debatable what they are. Sports just aren’t as big of a deal at those types of universities. Go to Bama or even ****** Tennessee and the culture is all about trying to do what it takes to win even when they are not.
Oregon and Washington. And believe it or not OSU is pretty liberal.

Bad take.

Nothing to do with politics.

Come on, my brotha...it’s not just about the CFP; my man, we’re not even getting to the point of winning our division or 10 games. At this point, I’m cool w vying for a top tier bowl game w/ consistency like a Wisconsin or PSU (excluding this yr), or Oregon (excluding this yr).

We’re closer to a G5 school than a P5 school, and I would love to get back to a consistent P5 team that wins 9-10 games yrly (and boy, I’m lowering my standards lately)

That's the thing bro....its not easy. Its the same schools winning their conference every year. Everyone else is just barely staying afloat. Jimbo won a Natty than got ran out the city. Ed O bout to get ran out the city. People laughed when Wisconsin hired Paul Chryst after he won 6, 7, 6 games at Pitt. James Franklin took 3 years to have a successful season at PSU. Manny was getting fired after year 1 by the fans. Al Golden refused to fire his DC. Mark Richt won us our first division title then retired over hiring an OC. Dabo Swinney took 5 years. People LAUGHING at Cristobal even though the man was just toating a rose bowl trophy this off-season. Dudes calling Kirby Smart over rated and UGA fan base is getting "Mark Richt vibes" about him. Like wtf do people expect?

Fire Manny and tell him we can't handle more embarrassment...Then hire who? What championship coach coming here? Bring Butch Back? Greg Schiano? Urban Meyer gonna come out retirement to deal with South Florida kids? We going to get a G5 coach? We going to poach a P5 coach?

This **** is disgusting, disturbing and depressing....and maybe I've been beaten into submission, but I dont think there's a coach available out there that can step into our campus and have us a NY6 bowl winner by year 2.

Advertisement
There are two major factors at play here. First, lazy hires of inexperienced coaches. Second, an unwillingness to open up the wallet.

To the first point, lazy hires. Since Butch, we've hired 5 coaches in 18 years:

1. Larry Coker - promoted in-house coordinator, 0 head coaching experience.

2. Randy Shannon - promoted in-house coordinator, 0 head coaching experience.

3. Al Golden - head coach with a losing record from a small conference.

4. Mark Richt- established head coach with winning record in Power 5 conference.

5. Manny Diaz - coordinator with 0 head coaching experience.

Of all these guys, guess which one was the only coach to win double-digit games in the ACC and win the Coastal division? Exactly. The guy with prior experience running a winning and competitive program at a power 5 school. I don't think that is a coincidence. (yes I know Coker won double digit games but he was exposed as a failure and only did so thanks to Butch leaving him 20 something first rounders).

To the second point, money. According to a quick search, here are the above coaches highest salaries while at Miami.

Larry Coker ~ 2 mil a year
Randy Shannon ~ 1.4 mil a year
Al Golden ~ 2.6 mil a year
Mark Richt ~ 4 mil a year
Manny Diaz ~ 3.1 mil a year

I can't find much info on Coker's time around CFB, but other than that, it appears Mark Richt has been the only guy we've paid our coach an annual salary ranking in the top 32 in the country over the last 20 years.

My takeaway is this: only once have we both ponied up decent money *and* landed a guy with winning experience at a successful, power 5 program. Interestingly, he's the only guy to come in and win 10 games and his division (since the ACC move).

I submit that if at any point the decision makers have had enough and want to consistently win and put an end to this dark age of mediocrity, their only choice is to cough up the money, pay a top 15 salary and go out and get a guy who's proven he can build and sustain a winning program at high level. Enough coordinator dice rolls and enough bargain bin shopping.

There are no more half measures to be had. If any of them ever get serious about winning, amateur hour is over. Get ready to shell out 6+ million annually and go sign a whale with some big time Ws and recruiting scalps on his wall.

Last edited:
There are two major factors at play here. First, lazy hires of inexperienced coaches. Second, an unwillingness to open up the wallet.

4. Mark Richt- established head coach with winning record in Power 5 conference.

Of all these guys, guess which one was the only coach to win double-digit games in the ACC and win the Coastal division? Exactly. The guy with prior experience running a winning and competitive program at a power 5 school. I don't think that is a coincidence. (yes I know Coker won double digit games but he was exposed as a failure and only did so thanks to Butch leaving him 20 something first rounders).

To the second point, money. According to a quick search, here are the above coaches highest salaries while at Miami.

I can't find much info on Coker's time around CFB, but other than that, it appears Mark Richt has been the only guy we've paid our coach an annual salary ranking in the top 32 in the country over the last 20 years.

My takeaway is this: only once have we both ponied up decent money *and* landed a guy with winning experience at a successful, power 5 program. That's also the only to come in and win 10 games and his division (since the ACC move).

My proposal is this: if at any point the decision makers have had enough and want to consistently win, cough up the money, pay a top 15 salary and go out and get a guy who's proven he can build and sustain a program at high level. Enough coordinator dice rolls and enough bargain bin shopping.

There are no more half measures to be had. If any of them ever get serious about winning, amateur hour is over. Get ready to shell out 6+ million annually and go sign a whale with some big time Ws and recruiting scalps to his name.
Will only happen when we’re fully de-Shalala-ized. I don’t know when that will happen, if ever.

soon there will be a clamor to bring in a female kicker....then a female assistant.

My takeaway is this: only once have we both ponied up decent money *and* landed a guy with winning experience at a successful, power 5 program. Interestingly, he's the only guy to come in and win 10 games and his division (since the ACC move).

I submit that if at any point the decision makers have had enough and want to consistently win and put an end to this dark age of mediocrity, their only choice is to cough up the money, pay a top 15 salary and go out and get a guy who's proven he can build and sustain a winning program at high level. Enough coordinator dice rolls and enough bargain bin shopping.

There are no more half measures to be had. If any of them ever get serious about winning, amateur hour is over. Get ready to shell out 6+ million annually and go sign a whale with some big time Ws and recruiting scalps on his wall.

and to cap off the laziness....3/5 hires where from within the previous regime. 2/3 being promoted after their boss got fired or was on the verge of being fired.

bottom line is we have wiffed.

Advertisement
I dont think any real analysis has been done on hiring since the 90s.

They’ve all been safe hires. Any analysis of Golden and you could have seen that he couldn’t win his conference with the top recruiting budget prior to being here.

Richt was hired like 7-8 years too late and burned out trying to prove he could still call plays.

Díaz we literally had to steal from temple like he was some great prodigy and basically we had no clue if he had the skill set to be a head coach and ignored his political drivel as a ‘Miami’ guy.

Thinking back:

1) imagine if we hire even Schiano before garbage *** Coker leaves? He would have been much better at that time.

2) or imagine if we’d gotten to Butch and patched things up with him before shannon in 2007?

3) think of coaches like Urban Meyer, Matt Campbell, etc. Who have done more with less? Even guys like ryan day etc. We’ve had so many misses it’s shameful.

Advertisement
Never hire a first time head coach. Find a guy who has experience running a program and isn’t learning on the job. But UM is cheap and utterly incompetent at this.
there are brilliant coaches at all levels who would smoke Manny
Take a chance on a guy at the D2 level who consistently gets it done. Those guys know how to get the most out of players
The problem is these diva south Florida hs players wouldn’t give that type of coach a chance.

Soooooo, should we promote Lashlee next? Seems like that is our thing.

if we want a more innovative thinking guy who’s never been head man but always does more with less, might as well go after Jeff Lebby at Ole Miss (assuming he has ceo leadership skills). All he does is raise the level of every offense and program wherever he goes and he’s done it while being super young still. (Southeastern university naia and had number 1 scoring offense, UCF with Milton, coached at baylor under briles, Ole Miss this year).

no to coaches from failed staffs but is one year with diaz really part of him? The skill sets as ceo are so much different than oc (and Lashlee has been above average). Lashlee appears much better than he has because Enos was horrific but we have improved. Who knows if he has hc skill sets but the players seem to respond to him.

It's not difficult, the infiltration of double agents into the program is real. They set out along time ago to try their best to distance Miami from it's past/roots, which directly correlated to the type of players being recruiting, ****'s in here to busy caught up in the nerd recruiting sites and the bullshat "star & class rankings" bullshat.

That's not recruiting, when they didn't want to re-hire butch davis that's all you needed to know. This is not a first time head coach job who especially don't know the lay of the land. When you got cowards and phaggots making decisions you will continue to see soft ****.

Advertisement
Back