Why is this so difficult?

Never hire a first time head coach. Find a guy who has experience running a program and isn’t learning on the job. But UM is cheap and utterly incompetent at this.
there are brilliant coaches at all levels who would smoke Manny
Take a chance on a guy at the D2 level who consistently gets it done. Those guys know how to get the most out of players
The problem is these diva south Florida hs players wouldn’t give that type of coach a chance.
We have to stop worrying about south florida culture and find a great coach who does more with less. If the guy and his staff can coach, they’ll come here. No more corporate swag approved Walt Disney worked turnover chain types who ‘get’ it.

maybe a guy with substance and the rest will follow.

Advertisement
Name a university that isn’t liberal. They all are. Conservatives don’t go into academia. School isn’t their thing .
University of YouTube and Parler State are extremely conservative.

All jokes aside, liberals like, prioritize, and covet winning and football as much as anybody else.

Its a lazy trope to think otherwise.

Serious bowel movement flush needed , oh everyone is probably leaving for the NFL bad move but that’s life.

Tough time’s coming TOTAL REBUILDING.

We do it every 3-4 years you’d think we’d learn from history, with all these college degree brainstorming things LMAO

GOCANES

9BB2CF30-DC0A-4C92-88AE-9CE70E8BE6EB.jpeg

You’ll never see players like Tavaris Gooden walking around campus anymore. These are the players that filled up UM rosters. Tough and gritty inner city kids that wanted to be great and hard *** coaches that got them there. That’s why Shannon was hired to so call clean up the image. Golden was hired to neutralize it. Until we get back to the roots of what made this program great we will always fall short. The administration can’t keep running from its past in hopes that a country club style of coaching will get the program back to prominence.

No one....i.e. Blake James....doesn't seem to take his job seriously. If a Fortune 500 company ran CEO searches like Miami conducts HC searches...that entity would fall apart

Advertisement
Come on, my brotha...it’s not just about the CFP; my man, we’re not even getting to the point of winning our division or 10 games. At this point, I’m cool w vying for a top tier bowl game w/ consistency like a Wisconsin or PSU (excluding this yr), or Oregon (excluding this yr).

We’re closer to a G5 school than a P5 school, and I would love to get back to a consistent P5 team that wins 9-10 games yrly (and boy, I’m lowering my standards lately)
Right?

I've lowered my standards to "please don't make me be embarrassed to be a Miami Hurricanes fan". **** winning national titles, just make it so I can post on a Carolina Panthers message board and not just be inundated with "so, 778 yards, huh?" posts. Like I was the ****** calling the plays last night.

View attachment 137677

You’ll never see players like Tavaris Gooden walking around campus anymore. These are the players that filled up UM rosters. Tough and gritty inner city kids that wanted to be great and hard *** coaches that got them there. That’s why Shannon was hired to so call clean up the image. Golden was hired to neutralize it. Until we get back to the roots of what made this program great we will always fall short. The administration can’t keep running from its past in hopes that a country club style of coaching will get the program back to prominence.
Quick question - where are these players now? Those unpolished gems with a rough exterior.

As in, I don't see them going to Alabama, Georgia, LSU et al.

It's simple. We have Manny the Politician. Say the right things on paper and in front of the camera. He's an "everyone" pleaser. That's his problem.

His only focus should be the the win/loss column and everything that drives towards that end product. At the end of the day, all these people he's trying to please (players, coaches, admin, fans), they all gravitate towards the final result.

Jimmy, Butch, Howard. You get the best players, you play the best players. Simple as that. You get coaches and you hold them accountable.

Simply put. Baker, Rumph Patke. These guys are the first that should be shown the door. And why are we suppressing our mismatches by rotating Brevin/Mallory instead of coupling them up?! Those two + Harley should've been on the field 90% of the snaps whenever possible. So Pope/Wiggins provide a better look against the defense? I don't buy that sht. There are so many fundamental things wrong and I believe we skate by moreso because of King not Lashlee.

Manny needs to stop pssy footing or he's just another statistic. The sooner he turns it around or we get an iron-fisted coach, the sooner Miami can go back to becoming The U.

Never hire a first time head coach. Find a guy who has experience running a program and isn’t learning on the job. But UM is cheap and utterly incompetent at this.
there are brilliant coaches at all levels who would smoke Manny
Take a chance on a guy at the D2 level who consistently gets it done. Those guys know how to get the most out of players
The problem is these diva south Florida hs players wouldn’t give that type of coach a chance.

Our great yrs:

-Schnelly 0 HC experience but had previous coaching experience learning under the great Don Shula in The NFL, SB winner

JJ-Previous HC experience at a P5 conference. Turned OK St into a winning program despite being bottom feeders in the Big 8

Erickson-Previous HC experience at a P5 school, turning a **** poor WASU school into a winning program

Butch-0 HC experience, but learned under JJ, came w/ NFL experience as a DC (won a Nat’l Championship here, snd Nat’l title here)

So 2 of the 4 HC had 0 HC coaching experience, but they had successful stints as Coordinators at the NFL level.

Our Poor yrs:

I can see why we hired Coker, being that Coker was under Butch, but after how discombobulated Miami became, the Shannon hire made no sense, since he was on staff during this era.

2 of the other 4 coaches had previous HC experience turning around bottom feeding programs, but they had winning records from P5 conferences and were trending up before being offered our gig. That brings us to Golden. Golden not only struggled at the G5 level w/ no P5 experience, but at the time of his hiring, he was trending down as a HC. Again, this hire made no sense.

I can see the appeal w/ Richt; maybe they thought he could revive his career. Maybe they looked at JJ getting his *** kicked by big brother OU and then w/ Miami, became a juggernaut. The thing is, JJ was much younger, AND he did not get fired from OK St! OK St wanted JJ b/c they experienced their most sustained success in 30 yrs. Richt wanted to retire & was fired. Not a smart hire.

That brings us to Diaz, who not only had zero experience as a HC, but was a journeymen DC who was oft the whipping boy as a DC. He came from a failed regime, where there was locker room issues, like his predecessor Shannon. Again, this hire had zero sense.

For whatever reason, we decided to go down a dark tunnel. We stopped hiring successful assistants w/ NFL or P5 experience & we stopped hiring trending P5 coaches. We’ve been enamored w/ coaches w/ 0 experience that are from failed regimes, & guys who are trending down as HCs. I’m not sure what has happened, but we’ve strayed a long way from where we were.

Also; can we stop the Dabo comparison w/ Manny. He was an interim coach first, and his first full season, won the Atlantic. Plus he’s the exception, not the rule.

Advertisement
The truth is that in none of our past 5 coaching searches was UM ever concerned in getting the best coach possible.

Mayybee Golden was Miami thinking this is objectively the best coaching candidate out there, but in none of the others was that Miami’s top priority. It’s always about “culture” and “connection” and that all but guarantees we’re getting an absolute dud.

Name a university that isn’t liberal. They all are. Conservatives don’t go into academia. School isn’t their thing .
I would argue many well educated liberals become successful conservatives once they matriculate through their path in academia.

Difference is that the successful athletic programs are not run by these liberal, emasculating SJWs.
Most of those schools, they are relegated to pumping up women's field hockey and soccer etc..

There are two major factors at play here. First, lazy hires of inexperienced coaches. Second, an unwillingness to open up the wallet.

To the first point, lazy hires. Since Butch, we've hired 5 coaches in 18 years:

1. Larry Coker - promoted in-house coordinator, 0 head coaching experience.

2. Randy Shannon - promoted in-house coordinator, 0 head coaching experience.

3. Al Golden - head coach with a losing record from a small conference.

4. Mark Richt- established head coach with winning record in Power 5 conference.

5. Manny Diaz - coordinator with 0 head coaching experience.

Of all these guys, guess which one was the only coach to win double-digit games in the ACC and win the Coastal division? Exactly. The guy with prior experience running a winning and competitive program at a power 5 school. I don't think that is a coincidence. (yes I know Coker won double digit games but he was exposed as a failure and only did so thanks to Butch leaving him 20 something first rounders).

To the second point, money. According to a quick search, here are the above coaches highest salaries while at Miami.

Larry Coker ~ 2 mil a year
Randy Shannon ~ 1.4 mil a year
Al Golden ~ 2.6 mil a year
Mark Richt ~ 4 mil a year
Manny Diaz ~ 3.1 mil a year

I can't find much info on Coker's time around CFB, but other than that, it appears Mark Richt has been the only guy we've paid our coach an annual salary ranking in the top 32 in the country over the last 20 years.

My takeaway is this: only once have we both ponied up decent money *and* landed a guy with winning experience at a successful, power 5 program. Interestingly, he's the only guy to come in and win 10 games and his division (since the ACC move).

I submit that if at any point the decision makers have had enough and want to consistently win and put an end to this dark age of mediocrity, their only choice is to cough up the money, pay a top 15 salary and go out and get a guy who's proven he can build and sustain a winning program at high level. Enough coordinator dice rolls and enough bargain bin shopping.

There are no more half measures to be had. If any of them ever get serious about winning, amateur hour is over. Get ready to shell out 6+ million annually and go sign a whale with some big time Ws and recruiting scalps on his wall.

Exactamundo.

We're a boiler room operation trying to compete against Merrill Lynch.

We're JT Marlin.

We hired Manny Diaz in 22 hours.

We have no vision.

We have no will to be great.

We have no chance of sniffing a title again unless we fall ***-backwards into the next Jimmy Johnson somehow.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back