Why Is Our Defense So Passive?

One could argue that Pitt's backup QB had as good or better a game than our starting QB did.

He threw for more yards than King and no INT's.

Without the 2 long TD's that were schemed wide open by Lashlee then King's stats look MUCH worse.

And that's Pitt BACKUP.
Tell me why their backup can throw for 277 and no INT's against our defense. If N'Kosi threw for 277 with no INT's next Saturday we'd be singing his praises and saying that he did enough for us to win.

And honestly, fvck all the statistics. Use your eyes. What I see on Saturdays is not an all-around good defensive unit. It's aggressive and gimmicky up-front so it creates a bunch of TFL's/sacks versus bad opponents but there's severe fundamental issues on the back-end. (which is why we get nickel-and-dimed to death)
This is what I'm saying. If the Pitt game was just an outlier, I wouldn't say a thing but we do the same thing every week no matter the opponent. What defense doesn't even try to take away the other team's best weapon? We leave Tutu Atwell one on one with a safety playing 10+ yards off lol How many times did we leave Etienne wide open in the flat? Just stupid.

Advertisement
I’d rather get beat deep than let teams nickel and dime us all the way down the field. Also, we stunt the DL to much and leave lanes for the quarterback to step up and throw.
Did you just say, I'd rather get beat deep?

Oy Vey.......... This place...

Go Canes!!!!!!

our weaknesses are LB and secondary. it seems more than ever that were trying to protect our corners knowing theyre going to get burned
Bingo. After UAB we went to prevent coverage wise to nit give up the long ball. Been that way all year.

Did you just say, I'd rather get beat deep?

Oy Vey.......... This place...

Go Canes!!!!!!
What are you talking about?

Absolutely!

Anything deep is a lower percentage throw. There's no offense on this level that can beat you the entire game just throwing deep. They can however beat you throwing short/intermediate all game because those are easier/high percentage throws that even a backup QB can complete to mediocre WR's.

Hello! Look at OUR OFFENSE for proof. Look how badly we struggle because we can't threaten defenses deep, so DC's simply focus on taking away the middle of the field while daring us to take the deep shots.

Last edited:
Advertisement
What are you talking about?

Absolutely!

Anything deep is a lower percentage throw. There's no offense on this level that can beat you the entire game just throwing deep. They can however beat you throwing short/intermediate all game because those are easier/high percentage throws that even a backup QB can complete to mediocre WR's.

Hello! Look at OUR OFFENSE for proof. Look how badly we struggle because we can't threaten defenses deep, so DC's simply focus on taking away the middle of the field while daring us to take the deep shots.
Nobody in their right mind would rather get beat deep. That's laughable to say the least. If we were consistently getting beat deep. You would probably ***** about that too. There is nothing more demoralizing to a defense than to have them consistently get beat deep. Begging to get beat deep is fools gold. So stop acting like our defense is giving up 40 points a game.
Pitt only scored 19 because they got the ball first and goal at our inch line. The young guns are coming along and will and are becoming a welcomed addition to that side of the ball. We're going to be fine on D moving forward.

As for our struggles on offense. We're no offensive juggernaut, that's for sure. But we're light years ahead of where we were last season and I'm good with that. If you call an offense that has won 4 games by scoring 31, 47 , 52 and 31 struggling, then you and I just might have a difference of opinion on the word , struggle.

Go Canes!!!!!

Is it possible to think that our defense is performing well, but has plenty of room for improvement in the backfield?

The big question is whether that will improve next year.

We gave up so many uncontested catches Saturday. It's insane that we aren't within 5 yards of these guys..

One could argue that Pitt's backup QB had as good or better a game than our starting QB did.

Without the 2 long TD's that were schemed wide open by Lashlee then King's stats look MUCH worse.

And that's Pitt BACKUP.
Tell me why their backup can throw for 277 and no INT's against our defense. If N'Kosi threw for 277 with no INT's next Saturday we'd be singing his praises and saying that he did enough for us to win.

And honestly, fvck all the statistics. Use your eyes. What I see on Saturdays is not an all-around good defensive unit. It's aggressive and gimmicky up-front so it creates a bunch of TFL's/sacks versus bad opponents but there's severe fundamental issues on the back-end. (which is why we get nickel-and-dimed to death)

He had to throwe the ball nearly 50 times to get to those 277 yards. He didn't even complete half his passes and ended up with a QBR of 39.

You throw around the term padded stats a lot. Well if that 277 isn't one, you should never throw that term around again.

Advertisement
It's simple, because coach diaz and coach baker's defensive philosophies and defensive tendecies is to keep everything in front of you and not giving up "the big play" so they are zone guys at heart, which directly takes away from the techniques and the style of play that coach rumph and coach banda teach. I'm not sure what the purpose of going with that striker **** was for, but we were a more aggressive defense when we played with 3 linebackers.
The striker position is for the modern pass game. A guy that can cover and takle in space. He's that dude that covers Travis Etienne in the 2nd half of the Clemson game (Frierson) that should have been the game plan from the start.

So, adding 3rd LB makes things worse given our 2 starters can't cover in space.

Running a 4-3 doesn't make you more aggressive. The coverages you play determine the aggressiveness regardless of formation.

The problem with their cover 2 scheme is that they play it like a prevent defense. These guys give up too much space that it's nearly impossible to break up a pass. It appears as thogh they're coached that way. Otherwise, you'd expect the coaches to adjust the player alignment and drops.

If they're going to play cover 2, I'd prefer it be a more agressive cover 2 - man under concept where the the two safeties are in zone and the CBs are in man coverage. Even an aggressive "Tampa 2" coverage would better, but we need the right middle LB in the game for that.

Last edited:
I could see if we didn't have the athletes... but at times it seems like we are more of a read react team like D'Onofrio was coaching

Miami should be a multiple look...one gap, playing up the field .. taking advantage of our athletes... similar to what Clemson does

We let a 2nd string QB from Pitt, have so much time in the pocket he could cook, clean and pick up the kids from school before we could get to him😂
Ask Blake
I could see if we didn't have the athletes... but at times it seems like we are more of a read react team like D'Onofrio was coaching

Miami should be a multiple look...one gap, playing up the field .. taking advantage of our athletes... similar to what Clemson does

We let a 2nd string QB from Pitt, have so much time in the pocket he could cook, clean and pick up the kids from school before we could get to him😂Blaker

we would have to ask Blaker Faker. U know what I don’t understand, receivers catch the ball and the nearest defender is at least 5 yards away from the ball. Also, our linebackers are suspect. Is bad.

Advertisement

We let a 2nd string QB from Pitt, have so much time in the pocket he could cook, clean and pick up the kids from school before we could get to him😂
Because our coaches are passive. Guaranteed if the goat was our dc we would be aggressive, because he is.

And that's Pitt BACKUP.

You're not praising Perry if he threw for 277 yards on 46 passes and under 50% and only generating 9 points without the help of picks. Two picks that started drives inside the 15 and the 5. You got problems with Baker's defense? Fine. But that QB didn't have a good day and neither did Pitt's offense.

Advertisement
Because College football today is largely spread offenses scoring on 20+ yard passes. Baker is trying to keep those big plays to a minimum. They stiffen in the red zone, where there’s less room for an O to work. We all complain about the D, but it hasn’t failed us yet this season.

And that's Pitt BACKUP.

Their QB was below 50% completions I believe, and he threw the ball 45 or 50 times.... so wouldn’t his stats be in large part to the fact that they were playing from behind all game, and abandoned the run?

Advertisement
Back