Why Is Our Defense So Passive?

CanesFootball

Recruit
I could see if we didn't have the athletes... but at times it seems like we are more of a read react team like D'Onofrio was coaching

Miami should be a multiple look...one gap, playing up the field .. taking advantage of our athletes... similar to what Clemson does

We let a 2nd string QB from Pitt, have so much time in the pocket he could cook, clean and pick up the kids from school before we could get to him😂

Advertisement
I could see if we didn't have the athletes... but at times it seems like we are more of a read react team like D'Onofrio was coaching

Miami should be a multiple look...one gap, playing up the field .. taking advantage of our athletes... similar to what Clemson does

We let a 2nd string QB from Pitt, have so much time in the pocket he could cook, clean and pick up the kids from school before we could get to him😂
5 sacks was pretty good. That wasn't what I would worry about with out defense.

First of all, I'm not a huge fan of Baker but comparing him to D'Onofrio is a sin. People complain about Enos but D'OhNo in my opinion is EASILY the worst coordinator we have ever had here. Like, ever.

Secondly, Bolden is the only ball hawk back there. Normally I'd agree with you - Miami defense is about taking away the run and letting our DBs play man because "our guys are better than yours 1 on 1." We don't have the personnel back there to do that right now.

Also the LB play isn't doing anyone any favors. I mean do you think we have Vilma in there or something? McCloud is completely lost on pass plays.

It's simple, because coach diaz and coach baker's defensive philosophies and defensive tendecies is to keep everything in front of you and not giving up "the big play" so they are zone guys at heart, which directly takes away from the techniques and the style of play that coach rumph and coach banda teach. I'm not sure what the purpose of going with that striker **** was for, but we were a more aggressive defense when we played with 3 linebackers.

First of all, I'm not a huge fan of Baker but comparing him to D'Onofrio is a sin. People complain about Enos but D'OhNo in my opinion is EASILY the worst coordinator we have ever had here. Like, ever.

Secondly, Bolden is the only ball hawk back there. Normally I'd agree with you - Miami defense is about taking away the run and letting our DBs play man because "our guys are better than yours 1 on 1." We don't have the personnel back there to do that right now.

Also the LB play isn't doing anyone any favors. I mean do you think we have Vilma in there or something? McCloud is completely lost on pass plays.

our weaknesses are LB and secondary. it seems more than ever that were trying to protect our corners knowing theyre going to get burned

Advertisement

We sacked him 5 times

5 sacks was pretty good. That wasn't what I would worry about with out defense.
Stat whoring is a problem with Baker's defense because he generates numbers that don't tell the true story that it was feast or famine and, aside from a few "coverage sacks", their QB looked very comfortable in the pocket throughout the game.

Last edited:
Stat whoring is a problem with Baker's defense because he generates numbers, but it was feast or famine and their QB looked very comfortable in the pocket throughout the game.
Waaaay too comfortable in the pocket....no mixing up fronts...and when did send pressure it was from 7 yards away and couldn't get there in time

Our defense is not passive. They play aggressive in the front 7 but play off on the back end because if the pressure doesnt get home and players get beat it's a big play.

Advertisement

We are actually overly aggressive in our front and overly pussified in our secondary.

It’s why when teams exploit our front we cant stop anyone. Any good to elite OL and we are screwed.

How dare you accuse Baker of being passive, look at this 3rd and 4 alignment.
D80E55C1-EED2-4759-9D3C-3567E391DA21.png

ryan howard what GIF

Advertisement

We are 5th in the country in tackles for loss per game This D and strategy has exactly zero similarity to no D.

I’d rather get beat deep than let teams nickel and dime us all the way down the field. Also, we stunt the DL to much and leave lanes for the quarterback to step up and throw.

Advertisement
I’d rather get beat deep than let teams nickel and dime us all the way down the field. Also, we stunt the DL to much and leave lanes for the quarterback to step up and throw.
I dont agree with this at all. If they get yards and no points fine UGA all world defense just gave up 500 plus to Bama. Stop the run and dont let them score. With how many plays teams are playing u have to just be tricked out with NFL DL to stop them.

y’all know how hard it is to play lights out in this new college football. Even bama gets their heads bust sometimes. As long as we hold em to 3 I’m cool at this point because it just is what it is. I just get mad at the amount of snaps I see Mccloud and Jennings get because there are plays sometimes where it’s like they’re wearing cement cleats

Advertisement
Back