Why Is Our Defense So Passive?

I could see if we didn't have the athletes... but at times it seems like we are more of a read react team like D'Onofrio was coaching

Miami should be a multiple look...one gap, playing up the field .. taking advantage of our athletes... similar to what Clemson does

We let a 2nd string QB from Pitt, have so much time in the pocket he could cook, clean and pick up the kids from school before we could get to him😂
Their offense scored 9 points off actual drives...10 points gifted by TOS...you literally have no clue.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It's simple, because coach diaz and coach baker's defensive philosophies and defensive tendecies is to keep everything in front of you and not giving up "the big play" so they are zone guys at heart, which directly takes away from the techniques and the style of play that coach rumph and coach banda teach. I'm not sure what the purpose of going with that striker **** was for, but we were a more aggressive defense when we played with 3 linebackers.
Aggression has nothing to do with how many LB's we have on the field. We weren't any more aggressive. Matter of fact, one could argue that are Strikers are our most aggressive guys.

We have a Striker out there because we play against mostly spread offenses. (10 & 11 personnel)

It doesn't benefit us to have 3 LB's out there versus the spread.

First of all, I'm not a huge fan of Baker but comparing him to D'Onofrio is a sin. People complain about Enos but D'OhNo in my opinion is EASILY the worst coordinator we have ever had here. Like, ever.

Secondly, Bolden is the only ball hawk back there. Normally I'd agree with you - Miami defense is about taking away the run and letting our DBs play man because "our guys are better than yours 1 on 1." We don't have the personnel back there to do that right now.

Also the LB play isn't doing anyone any favors. I mean do you think we have Vilma in there or something? McCloud is completely lost on pass plays.

McCloud so far - is a spectator.

Watching offenses flying around.

Advertisement
What was Clemson?

Coe on dude, be better than that response. Clemson is going to do that or far worse to almost everyone, if not everyone. There is no college defense that is going to stop Lawrence and Etienne this season.

Oh yeah, he “torched” us... 39 QBR and led the offense to a whopping 10 points....wish he played for us.

mmm kay, buh bye
Ok, defense was "good enough". Long-term that's not good defense. It's why it's not even a contest when we play teams like Clemson because "good enough" against Pitt's backup QB turns into a laugher against real teams. I'm happy we won but it's stupid and short sighted to ignore the constant issues we see every week that are 100% scheme issues.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Their offense scored 9 points off actual drives...10 points gifted by TOS...you literally have no clue.
But Pitt's offense is atrocious and were playing with their backup QB.
These are the games that our defense pads their stats on.

When people on here reference our TFL's, sacks and other **** stats to defend the defense, it's from games like this...because we **** sure don't excel versus any offense with a pulse. Louisville is a terrible team and we allowed their QB, RB and primary WR to have a field day. Nobody on their schedule has done that for them except us. Pitt and ND skull fvcked their offense.

Coe on dude, be better than that response. Clemson is going to do that or far worse to almost everyone, if not everyone. There is no college defense that is going to stop Lawrence and Etienne this season.
But is it too much to ask from our coaches to put our guys in better position to make plays? In what world is it ok to cover Tutu, Rodgers and Addison with a safety from 10+ yards off?

Ok, defense was "good enough". Long-term that's not good defense. It's way it's not even a contest when we play teams like Clemson because "good enough" against Pitt's backup QB turns into a laugher against real teams. I'm happy we won but it's stupid and short sighted to ignore the constant issues we see every week that are 100% scheme issues.

We’re talking about Pitt, not Clemson.

I’m not saying we have an elite defense that can hold Clemson. There’s may be only two or three teams in the entire country that would even come close to that.

Let’s just get our facts straight.

Advertisement
If anybody thinks our defense couldn't have played MUCH better against Pitt then they're just being a Baker/Manny homer. Their WR' dropped a ton of balls and their backup QB missed wide open guys on several occasions. Addison had a field day versus our secondary. (8 catches for 147)
There were plenty of times where they marched right down the field with uncontested throws.

We’re talking about Pitt, not Clemson.

I’m not saying we have an elite defense that can hold Clemson. There’s may be only two or three teams in the entire country that would even come close to that.

Let’s just get our facts straight.
I'm thinking long term, not just Pitt and we have same game plan defensively no matter what team we play. The current scheme has our players beat before the ball is even snapped. Clemson was a big test and that's why I brought them up.

If anybody thinks our defense couldn't have played MUCH better against Pitt then they're just being a Baker/Manny homer. Their WR' dropped a ton of balls and their backup QB missed wide open guys on several occasions. Addison had a field day versus our secondary. (8 catches for 147)
There were plenty of times where they marched right down the field with uncontested throws.

Nobody is saying our defense couldn’t have played better. For one, on most passing downs, our ends were not getting much push or pressure, one of the main reasons he had time to throw on several occasions. We had some below average play, just like on offense King had some really bad throws, irrespective of the 4 TD’s

But 10 points is ten points.

One could argue that Pitt's backup QB had as good or better a game than our starting QB did.

He threw for more yards than King and no INT's.

Without the 2 long TD's that were schemed wide open by Lashlee then King's stats look MUCH worse.

And that's Pitt BACKUP.
Tell me why their backup can throw for 277 and no INT's against our defense. If N'Kosi threw for 277 with no INT's next Saturday we'd be singing his praises and saying that he did enough for us to win.

And honestly, fvck all the statistics. Use your eyes. What I see on Saturdays is not an all-around good defensive unit. It's aggressive and gimmicky up-front so it creates a bunch of TFL's/sacks versus bad opponents but there's severe fundamental issues on the back-end. (which is why we get nickel-and-dimed to death)

Advertisement
Back