Why Is Our Defense So Passive?

Macho brings up interesting points.

Consistent inconsistency, especially with teams that have average players, making them into superstars is not the way to improve your team. One of our ongoing problems, to which no one has an answer.

Exactly bro!

Like why the **** does FIU's RB get to have over 100 yards against us?
Why does Tutu Atwell go off against us but then get shutdown by Pitt and ND's defense?
Why does Pitt's true Freshman WR get to have 8 catches for 147 yards against us?
Why does Kelly Bryant get to start the game 14-for-14 passing?
Why did we allow the true Freshman WR at Wisconsin have a career day versus us a couple years ago?
Why does VT's TE get to have a career day versus us?
Why does Wisconsin's QB, who couldn't throw the forward pass, get to look like Dan Marino versus us?

Is shutting down inferior opponents/players too much to ask?
Other defenses are doing it.
I bet 8 catches for 147 yards is the best performance that Pitt's WR has ALL YEAR.

Advertisement
I'm not sure what point you are continuing to make, especially after watching college football every Saturday. Week in and week out just about every defense in college football looks like crap against a competent offense. Who is this team beating up on Top 25-40 offenses?

Imo our defense is designed to work exactly as it did in drive one against Pitt. Yes they made a few throws and runs for a couple of first downs. But around mid field they tried to throw on 1st down and one of our playmakers did what they usually to do, beat his man for a sack. Now with down and distance in our favor they forced Yellen into two bad throws under pressure and the drive ended.

That's what we have done consistently well under Diaz for a vast majority of his tenure here very well. So you may see the short passes in front of them but I see that in nearly every possession, our defense makes drive changing play that the vast majority of the time results in a punt.
We're not playing against top-25-40 offense bro. LOL

We pad our stats against bad offenses and generally get shredded by offenses that have a pulse.

I think it's pretty easy to understand what I'm trying to say. WE COULD BE A LOT BETTER.

I explained this already. If you watch any of our games, even Pitt, there's COUNTLESS plays that are preventable.
I don't give a **** that we (supposedly) are okay with teams driving the field on us and settling for field goals. Cause guess what....good offenses ain't kicking field goals when they get down there.

You guys focus on the positive stats, I focus on that **** that doesn't need to happen, the **** that we could change if we played/coached differently...because THOSE are the things that are magnified against good opponents. (which is why we have NEVER played well against a good offense)

Exactly bro!

Why does Tutu Atwell go off against us but then get shutdown by Pitt and ND's defense?
Why does Pitt's true Freshman WR get to have 8 catches for 147 yards against us?
Why did we allow the true Freshman WR at Wisconsin have a career day versus us a couple years ago?
Why does Wisconsin's QB, who couldn't throw the forward pass, get to look like Dan Marino versus us?

I bet 8 catches for 147 yards is the best performance that Pitt's WR has ALL YEAR.
We’re 4-1 and fwiw as much as I agree with what you’re saying, I’m pretty sure the poor play on offense, lousy time of possession and starting field position had a huge hand in most of the specifics you listed here. Georgia just got blow out by 17 and gave up 40+. We’re not elite and everyone knows the myriad of reasons why. We must continue to recruit real four and five star talent. That’s the only thing that’s going to stop what you’re posting about. It’s Miami, we’re finally moving in the right direction. We won’t win them all yet, but it’s headed in the right direction on both sides of the ball. I don’t know what good defense looks like anymore, because the rules are slanted to help the offense. Bodies matter now more than ever.

Like, I don't understand why you guys even measure our success against teams like Pitt. Like why the fvck SHOULDN'T we skull fvck Pitt's offense?! They have like ONE skill kid that was even recruited by a program on our level. IT'S FVCKIN PITT!!!

That's like me measuring the success of my defense based on how we played versus Hallandale instead of measuring it on how we played versus Saint Thomas.

That's setting the bar low.

Like, I don't understand why you guys even measure our success against teams like Pitt. Like why the fvck SHOULDN'T we skull fvck Pitt's offense?! They have like ONE skill kid that was even recruited by a program on our level. IT'S FVCKIN PITT!!!

That's like me measuring the success of my defense based on how we played versus Hallandale instead of measuring it on how we played versus Saint Thomas.

That's setting the bar low.

We did skull **** Pitt's offense. That's the point.

9 points allowed
3-17 on 3rd down
0-2 on 4th down
22 yards rushing
300 total yards
QB completion rate under 50%-QBR of 39
15 TFLS
4 Sacks

That is a dominant performance by any measure.

Advertisement
Obviously, you don't know anything about football. You provided nothing in your arguments except frail attempted insults.

How dumb can you be. We changed our offense to be modern. You think your old school defense is going to work against a modern spread offense? Clemson doesn't even run a 4-3 and they have all the dudes at every position to do it. We don't. At least not with our startering LBs.

You completely ignored my scenerio of a 4 and 5 WR spread offense. No 4-3 defense can cover let alone "play aggressive " as you say against a spread offense. Tell me how you play aggressive against a 4 or 5 WR spread offense with a 4-3 defense?

You arguing about 3 LBs and the problem is coverage. Even if you play a 4-3, it's what type of coverage you play that makes the defense "aggressive" not tjust the fact that your playing a 4-3. Was D'Onofrio's 4-3 agressive?

I wouldn't let you coach a pee wee league team, but I hear D'Onofrio needs help coaching his kid's team so maybe you have a chance.

Go get you a football 101 book. Study it well before you start popping off cause you just flapping your gums with your drawls down at your ankles.
If I haven't said it before, I'll say it now, STFU and quit talking out yo ***, do you even watch UM games, I'm just gonna give yo ignant *** 2 examples, I'll let you cheat off my paper this time byyyaattcchh, but next time you need to study:

And P.S. Again, STFU Sincerely!

Crazy how easy some of you just completely ignore all of Pitt's costly drops and misthrows to wide open receivers. Only with that selective amnesia can you come away saying Miami put up a dominant performance.

I didn't see the word dominate used. This time in years past Miami would have lost that game coming off that Clemson blowout. A W is a W and they're 4-1 beating Pitt in the exact kind of game Pitt plays.

9 points allowed
3-17 on 3rd down
0-2 on 4th down
22 yards rushing
300 total yards
15 TFLS
4 Sacks

They scored 19 points.
Y'all just can't pull points off the board for your argument.

Pitt did themselves NO FAVORS with the drops and inaccurate throws. Let's not sit here and pretend that the outcome wouldn't have been a little different is they had their starting QB. (it likely would have)

Why couldn't the 10 points they scored off turnovers BE THE ONLY POINTS?
We couldn't have beat Pitt 31-10? That's too much to ask? Or even 31-13?

We didn't skull fvck them. Pitt and ND held Louisville to around 200 yards of offense and their primary playmakers were shut down. That is a skull fvckin'.
You didn't skull fvck an offense if their true freshman WR had 8 catches for 147 yards.

Let's keep it real.
You see a Pitt offense that was "forced" to kick a bunch of field goals. I see a Pitt offense that had to settle for field goals because their garbage offense and back-up QB couldn't capitalize in the redzone.

Advertisement
I don't think you even realize what our Striker is asked to do, cause if you did then you wouldn't want a LB out there.
Even if you put a LB out there, he'd be lined-up outside the box most of the time like the Striker is. So how exactly is that making us more aggressive? 🤔

Nobody uses 3 LB's anymore because all of the offenses are spread these days. Even Saban, who was a 3-4 guy, is now a 4-2-5 guy.

You can't put a LB out there and ask him to cover slot WR's vertical like we do...or ask him to tackle slot WR's in space like our Striker has to.

Furthermore, having an 'LB' next to your name doesn't make you more aggressive. Aggressiveness is a mentality. Smith is more aggressive than any of our LB's, as is Bolden. So having a 6'1" 220lb+ kid out there in space isn't necessarily making us anymore aggressive on defense just because it's a 3rd Linebacker.

This reminds me of the conversations I have with hood cats about the 4-3 defense being better at stopping the run than the 3-4 because "there's more D-lineman on the line dawg!"
Listen man, no disrespect, but find my last post, you guys really need to start doing your homework, you really don't know WTF you're talking about. Im not sure what side you're on with your 4-3 vs 3-4 analysis, but go and look at the video's I just posted for the new moron iniate!​

Exactly bro!

I think it was Herby or someone during the Clemson game who quoted Venebales. Venebales in drawing the gameplan asks first "what is the main thing we have to stop?" That should be 1A, 1B and 1C in the gameplan yet Baker seems content in just running the base and react to whatever the defense is throwing at him and then maybe adjust some things in the 2nd half.

It is beyond me how we let backups torch us, It's the most automatic thing ever against our team. We all KNEW that the pitt backup was gonna have a career day against us and sure enough, he did. Any competent offense torches us.

9 points allowed
3-17 on 3rd down
0-2 on 4th down
22 yards rushing
300 total yards
15 TFLS
4 Sacks

19 points. And check your TFL's and sacks those aint right.

Defense played well but we didn't skull **** anyone. Skull ****ed would be what Clemson's defense did to us.

I didn't see the word dominate used. This time in years past Miami would have lost that game coming off that Clemson blowout. A W is a W and they're 4-1 beating Pitt in the exact kind of game Pitt plays.
I'm more concerned with how we're playing and how that bodes for us down the road. The way the defense is playing is going to have us getting TORCHED by UNC, VT, and Wake. If not for NCST's QB going down you could've added them on the list as well and that would be 4 teams that would get anything they want on us.

4-1 is great, but unless things change we're looking at the same old record come season's end.

Advertisement
Crazy how easy some of you just completely ignore all of Pitt's costly drops and misthrows to wide open receivers. Only with that selective amnesia can you come away saying Miami put up a dominant performance.

Man if you’re counting on drops and misthrows to make a case you’re totally reaching.

If that’s the case start counting the missed PI call and Payton losing his shoe.

I just wish we would put our hands up on the DL, we allow perfect passing lanes. We almost never tip passes anymore. And to be honest I think it is the only way to slow a kid like Lawrence down. He moves the ball so quick you will never get there even blitzing.

I think there's a fair argument to be made both ways in regards to this Pitt game anyway.

I think they were content to see if the young QBs could beat them so they focused on the run. However, it was way too passive of an attempt at doing so, and yes its not the first time we have made a mediocre QB look great. But we did do a heck of a good job shutting the run down, and you can't ignore that just to point out the negative. Though, I get it, its kind of the point of this thread.

Macho, what you say the at the end of your comment is just your lens for looking at the situation. I saw really good Redzone D, you saw Pitt failing to get out of their own way. That's basically just personal opinion. And everyone is allowed to have an opinion.

As for your reference to Hallandale and St Thomas. Well, if your not beating Hallandale, I would say to stop comparing your performance to St Thomas. And we have been losing to mediocre teams like Pitt of late so this is a solid performance, not perfect, but solid.

Like for me, I was super disappointed by the offense against Pitt. But to see us put together that last long drive to really put it away, made me feel like we were more in control than maybe I felt like we were. We imposed ourselves on them when they were trying to mount a comeback. And that alone is a huge improvement. In the past we gave up a TD late, did nothing with the ensuing possession and held on with them throwing bombs at the end because we couldn't get a first down to save our lives. We actually put it away! So that was a positive.

I'm more concerned with how we're playing and how that bodes for us down the road. The way the defense is playing is going to have us getting TORCHED by UNC, VT, and Wake. If not for NCST's QB going down you could've added them on the list as well and that would be 4 teams that would get anything they want on us.

4-1 is great, but unless things change we're looking at the same old record come season's end.

I don't believe Miami would have used the same defensive philosophy vs Pickett than Yellen. Manny said they had two game plans going in to the game because Pickett was doubtful. I don't think this defense is good enough to dominate offenses like the Miami of old simply because how the offense has changed. They play a two deep safety and try to take the big play away but give up the 10-15 yard plays at a terrible rate. Until the LB problem is perma-fixed and they keep Bolden and Hall together on the field more and stop giving Amari Carter 50+ snaps a game then things will continue to be bend but don't break.

Advertisement
Listen man, no disrespect, but find my last post, you guys really need to start doing your homework, you really don't know WTF you're talking about. Im not sure what side you're on with your 4-3 vs 3-4 analysis, but go and look at the video's I just posted for the new moron iniate!​
I don't need to watch any videos. I'm telling what I know as fact.

How many years you been coaching?
How many coaching clinics you been to?
You name a coach, I've seen him speak.

And NONE OF THEM leave a LB out there when they're facing 10/11 personnel weekly.
It...doesn't...make...sense.
There's no advantage to it.
THAT LINEBACKER IS GOING TO BE REMOVED FROM THE BOX ANYWAY.

If you put a 3rd LB out there...in space...near my slot WR's...I'm going to pick on him. I'm going to make that LB cover my little slot WR in space and tackle him in space.

THERE IS A REASON THAT NOBODY EMPLOYS 3 LINEBACKERS ANYMORE.

And NONE OF THEM leave a LB out there when they're facing 10/11 personnel weekly.

If you put a 3rd LB out there...in space...near my slot WR's...I'm going to pick on him. I'm going to make that LB cover my little slot WR in space and tackle him in space.

Bro we rarely play 3 LB on the field at any time..unless u count gil and smith as LB..I don’t. From what I’ve followed idk If this week is the week to bash the D. Yea Pitt scored 19..but they were gift wrapped those drives off a 2 TO and one pick 6..u reaching a lil bit on this one. Your opinion is certainly respected by me on here. But I think the Henny got too u pregame and might’ve skewed your view on this one
1603214097668.gif

If you want to stay in the blind and keep going to coaching clinics and listening to ****'s that still don't understand football at an elite level, keep going, cause you'd rather somebody tell you lies than to actually look at the Truth, don't waste your time or breath, coaching clinics these days like society keeps creating nothing but cookie cutter coaches following each other to losses, if your serious, see the video's, if not, carry on. Obviously you think the slot receiver is something new to as well, lol, question for you, where do spread offenses come from or what is their real purpose.

9 points allowed
3-17 on 3rd down
0-2 on 4th down
22 yards rushing
300 total yards
15 TFLS
4 Sacks

HUH, did somebody call me, trevor got it too, SHOUTS OUT to carter & keontra smith:

Advertisement
Back