Why is it taking this long

Advertisement
I’m not the one demanding things get done right away without knowing any of the behind the scenes information. Right now, most of us have no idea exactly what the plan is for the defensive coordinator position. We do know for a fact that we have replaced our cornerbacks coach. That’s a done deal and in the books. Now, if they knew they were going to replace Rumph, why didn’t they immediately fire him as soon as the bowl game ended? Because there’s lots of dominoes involved with the coaching carousel and you have to see how some of them fall before you make your moves. It’s not as easy as “fire this guy, hire this guy”.
I would've fired him the day after the bowl game

I would've fired him the day after the bowl game
I would have liked to also. Still if you’re a boss, you don’t let your emotions make your decisions. You make sure you have a replacement lined up before you make your move.

Advertisement
That's fine, I'm not trying to argue.

But if anyone can tell me when, in the history of college football, a Head Coach has ever ACCELERATED the process of firing a coordinator SOLELY BECAUSE OF INTERWEBZ PRESSURE, I would really like to hear that story.

Sometimes head coaches have personality clashes and can't live with a coordinator for another day longer. Other times, they want to make sure that they have the successor lined up before publicly executing a guy.

I don't think that some porsters have taken into account recent disastrous corching searches (cough, cough, most recent F$U and Auburn HC searches) that give off the stench of desperation when the head coach is first fired, and then a few of the top choices turn them down.

And, look, I realize there is a difference between HC searches and coordinator searches. But from some of the chatter in prior years, I think it is fair to say that Manny has been turned down by a couple of coordinators in past years. So I can understand his personal preference to have a successor DC in place before he shows all of his cards.
It shouldn't be for internet pressure. But after the performance of the defense, I will say some coaches should have already been relieved of their duties. Alot of the heartburn, that I see, isn't the fact that a new DC hasn't been named, but the fact the current DC is still employed. The current DC can be let go now, and still get a new DC in the not too distant future.

Should have been fired the day after the bowl given the UNC game but here we are.
Exactly. What we’re seeing is further evidence of a coach, athletic department and administration that aren’t committed to winning. The difference between our program and programs that actually prioritize winning is massive. At a school that cares about winning you wouldn’t still have your incompetent DC on staff a month after a national embarrassment like the UNC game and the follow on performance in the bowl game. At real programs Baker would’ve been out the night of the bowl game.

After watching that game you still think defense wins championships?
Yes. When you absolutely need at least one stop I would say it becomes critical. Suckeyes played our defense it looked like and Bama was laughing all the way to the end zone.

Bama got the first stop and then scored meaning they could now at least trade scores with garbage program I cheered for as a kid but stopped in 2001. My mom was from Cleveland and even she hated them after that.

Advertisement
Let's pretend Miami replaced the $uckeyes in the playoffs and that we completely swapped the onfield coaching staffs with Bama since the Bama-ND game, would a Saban coached Miami beat a Diaz-coached Bama?

I'm not sure we would due to things like the off-field analysts, players, etc. Bama has

the delay could be (a) waiting for the CFB season to end because they have someone in mind who is involved in the title game or (b) waiting for a certain team to lose in the NFL playoffs because they have someone in mind whose team is still playing.

Let's pretend Miami replaced the $uckeyes in the playoffs and that we completely swapped the onfield coaching staffs with Bama since the Bama-ND game, would a Saban coached Miami beat a Diaz-coached Bama?

I'm not sure we would due to things like the off-field analysts, players, etc. Bama has
NO

Advertisement
Exactly. What we’re seeing is further evidence of a coach, athletic department and administration that aren’t committed to winning. The difference between our program and programs that actually prioritize winning is massive. At a school that cares about winning you wouldn’t still have your incompetent DC on staff a month after a national embarrassment like the UNC game and the follow on performance in the bowl game. At real programs Baker would’ve been out the night of the bowl game.
So is Ohio State firing their defensive coordinator today or what?

Plenty of hires have been announced while big games are happening, what the **** does that matter. Especially if it is a college coach? I'm not rushing the hire but I think that notion is off

Advertisement
You all need to come to terms that Baker is coming back as DC. I don’t like it but it’s what is happening. Patke stays as well. We’ll get a new DL coach, and promote DVD.
Promote DVD to do what exactly? Be T-Rob's shadow? What a waste of a position.

Manny has pledged to fire Baker once porsters start 1 million CIS threads about the subject.
If we merged all the threads, we would be at a million. Unfortunately the mods have a day job, and the small pittance that I provide to this site as a period sponsor cannot underwrite such a massive endeavor.

Advertisement
Back