Why is Herman a home run?

Look at Ohio State's offense last year vs. this year. Guy has taken a middle-of-the-road Houston ball club and turned them into a top 20 program. Oh, and he happens to come from a pretty darn good coaching tree.

Advertisement
Not necessarily a concern with Herman, and a head coaching decision should not be based on one player, but I question how effective Kaaya would be in Herman's offense. In a sense, hiring Herman means moving away from the kinds of QBs we have signed and targeted (Kaaya, Shirreffs, Allison). The fact that Fuente is able to oversee explosive offenses using pocket passers makes him a more intriguing candidate based on what we already have on our roster.

He's not and we shouldn't settle for him before going after names like Patterson, Pinkel, and Strong first.

Mario took a terrible fiu program and made them somewhat relevant. Why is that different?

TY Hilton made them somewhat relevant. When he left so did FIU's winning record. Mario was 3-8 in his final year without Hilton (with losses to ULM, WKU, Troy, Middle Tenn, Ark St and Louisianna -- not to be confused with LSU). Straight up - You hire Mario and we truly may never recover.

Advertisement
Stop with Mario. He's never achieved anything like being a coordinator of a NC team primarily responsible for their run, taking three QBs and grooming them each to win at the highest levels (4th now at Houston) and taken a Houston team and improved on their record over some previously fine coaches records there (Briles, Sumlin, etc.).

Mario is never mentioned at any other job opening (USCe, USCw, Maryland) for good reason. He's not a high level coach. He belongs in the Sun Belt as a HC or coordinator.

barring hiring mike danontio, urban, saban or miles you aint hitting a home run.

butch would be a triple. everyone else is double except mario who is a strikeout

There is no can't miss candidate, but plenty of definite miss candidates, Mario heads that list.

Advertisement
If Mario Cristobal, his tie, and his stellar track record as a football CEO gets your **** hard or your ***** wet, you are an enemy of UM football.

Passing on Herman is equal to the Gators passing on McElwain...

At first I disagreed with you, but I see the similarities.

Mcelwain was under Saban and hard to tell how much he was responsible for any success they're especially since it was a defense defensive team

Herman was under Meyer, arguably sabans counterpart.

Both of those head coaches have been successful multiple places no matter who the coordinators are so it's hard to tell if Herman is the real deal. I'll give Florida another year to see if Mcelwain is the real deal.

I don't necessarily trust coaching trees too much but I would much rather have someone out of sabans camp than Meyers

Last edited:
No Miami ties, very little head coaching experience, not in a power 5 conference. Not saying I'm against the hire, but why is he different from cristobal?

Cristobal got hired by Golden and ran out 3 weeks later NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Advertisement

Nope
It is early. But Meyer does give Herman a lot of accolades for helping him win the Natty last year. Herman's team is 7-0 and looking good. Yes, they could lose the last 3 or 4, but so far, he seems like an aggressive young up and coming coach. Definitely not a home run hire, but better than anything Mario or Chud have accomplished.

Nope
It is early. But Meyer does give Herman a lot of accolades for helping him win the Natty last year. Herman's team is 7-0 and looking good. Yes, they could lose the last 3 or 4, but so far, he seems like an aggressive young up and coming coach. Definitely not a home run hire, but better than anything Mario or Chud have accomplished.

Yeah I thought about it some more and can see that side of it. I agree, just think that there's better options out there personally

Nope

thHDBJ333S.jpg

Advertisement
No Miami ties, very little head coaching experience, not in a power 5 conference. Not saying I'm against the hire, but why is he different from cristobal?

he is a member of mensa and runs a 2015 offense, not a 1980s offense or the triangle from phil jackson

Advertisement
Back