Why is Herman a home run?

canes41590

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
No Miami ties, very little head coaching experience, not in a power 5 conference. Not saying I'm against the hire, but why is he different from cristobal?

Advertisement
No Miami ties, very little head coaching experience, not in a power 5 conference. Not saying I'm against the hire, but why is he different from cristobal?
Homerun or different than Mario? big difference

He is a proven coordinator Mario is recruiter and failed coach
He is the hottest thing going right now, coaches to kill and reminds us of old school Miami football

Homerun no, Butch is a homerun

people are carried away about Fuente too, but of the 2 Herman looks 100x ready for big time, while Fuente looks like Mario less the recruiting

Mario took a terrible fiu program and made them somewhat relevant. Why is that different?

Advertisement
you won't know if it's a home run unless you swing the bat.

and swinging the bat = 3 year commitment typically.

honestly, if i were UM i would go butch 100%. but since that seems politically dicey for reasons i don't know, then unless you want to pay 6-7M like michigan did you have to find a less-proven coach.

you have to take a risk.

herman makes 1.35 and no one would criticize UM for taking him. you could prob get him for 2.75/3 and he's the hottest thing right now.

OP, you start your case against Herman by saying he has "no Miami ties" as if that actually matters. It doesn't.

Cristobal went 27-47 at FIU, got fired, and is technically a position coach who serves mostly as a recruiter under Saban. Bama fans are very frustrated with how their OL is underperforming despite having a unit filled with highly-rated recruits. All he has as a candidate is South Florida recruiting ties, which is laughable. No one points to coaching acumen when trying to make a case for him because it's impossible.

Herman was the co-OC, playcaller, and QB coach for last year's National Champions. Did a masterful job of development and playcalling to the point where their offense didn't skip a beat when down to their third-string QB in the conference title game and CFB playoff. Houston's offense has improved dramatically with his arrival. OSU's offense has regressed significantly without him and Cardale Jones has been benched. Noticeable impact felt at both programs. Coaching and development are the first things mentioned when making a case for Herman.

What if he loses the next 2 or 3 games would everyone still want

Wouldn't affect my view of him at all. A win over Vandy this weekend, which won't be easy against such a stout defense, would bring them to 8-0 and match that program's win total from the previous two seasons. Before the season, Vegas set Houston's over/under win total at 8.5. He's well on his way to exceeding Year 1 expectations at UH.

Certain people are going to overreact like crazy when Herman loses a game or two down the stretch. They will be exposing themselves as spectacular morons.

Ok, but isn't Herman another risky hire? Another up and comer with little experience. Mario had a great year at fiu, Herman is having a great year at Houston. Mario is learning under saban, Herman learned under Meyer. I'm sorry but the risk seems the same to me. Golden was an up and comer also. I really believe Miami needs to go with someone with experience, butch or strong imo.

Advertisement
We all have not seen a good coach at the U for a while, ONE COULD WALK RIGHT UP TO US AND WE WOULDN'T KNOW IT.... joke but maybe true

Ok, but isn't Herman another risky hire? Another up and comer with little experience. Mario had a great year at fiu, Herman is having a great year at Houston. Mario is learning under saban, Herman learned under Meyer. I'm sorry but the risk seems the same to me. Golden was an up and comer also. I really believe Miami needs to go with someone with experience, butch or strong imo.

was that great year his 7-6 or 8-5 season

Advertisement
I would be a fan of the Herman hire IF we pass on Butch or some other proven coach (Pinkel, Gundy). That said, Herman has the perfect QB to run his offense now. What will his record be without him? Just speculation, but it is a valid question. I think he'd find another athletic type, but who knows. Herman isn't PROVEN yet. I feel that's what we need. If all other options are exhausted, then we go up and comer.

I can't believe posters are actually comparing Mario to Tom Herman.

Mario is a slick recruiter. That's it. His OL units have underperformed at Alabama and our OL sucked when he was UM's OL coach in 2006. Mario recruited the most talented team in the Sun Belt conference, and his team still struggled.

Herman, on the other hand, has had unparalleled success as an OC. Urban Meyer put Herman through a hellacious 12 hour interview and was ultimately blown away y Herman's intelligence.

Watch some interviews of Herman Herman's has a larger than life personality. He's extremely ambitious, he's alpha personality, and he demands greatness from his players.

If Miami is too cowardly to hire Butch, then they should hire Herman. If UM ends up hiring someone like Chud, we're going to be deeply regret it because while Herman is kicking royal *** in some major Div I school in the near futre, Miami is going to continue to wallow in mediocre filth for the next decade or so.

Advertisement

"Are you kidding me?"

Who cares about Miami ties? He's a proven coordinator and in his first season as HC, he has a mid major undefeated. That's already an infinitely better resume than Cuban Alf.

"Are you kidding me?"

Who cares about Miami ties? He's a proven coordinator and in his first season as HC, he has a mid major undefeated. That's already an infinitely better resume than Cuban Alf.

Who cares about Miami ties?

A P-O-T-A-T-O

Who cares about "Miami ties?"

Exactly, Miami ties as of late isn't a good thing and shouldn't be a required check box on the application.

TBH, I didn't like the idea of the Butch hire a few weeks ago. After his interview, some deep thought, and seeing some of the other names being thrown around I'm for it now although it probably won't happen. The guy loves to recruit and seems determined to turn this thing around. The fact that he's been here before in a similar scenario and turned it around may be the biggest recruiting tool the university could have right now.

Herman on the other hand, I'm not sold - yet. How much of an influence did he really have on the offense at OSU under Urban? He's coached 7 games at Houston and that's not enough to really base a "homerun" hire on. We haven't even had time to see what his recruits look like and how he develops the program over a 3-4 year period.

Advertisement
Back