Why don't we recruit JUCOs more?

Portal is the new juco

I mean a kid who went to Charlotte tark Crawford from Texas is an example... didn’t have the grades yet snuck in there but is now in the portal all good to go on a transfer... high 4 star kid I hope we kick the tires on

Edit: didn’t we get Lou from a JUCO??

Advertisement
There's no good reason. It's a flaw. It's not like we didn't have Cortez Kennedy, Bryant McKinnie, Jeremy Shockey and Jerome McDougle as examples. Maybe the big programs just outbid us. My guess is we're not well set up for juco recruiting and don't put the resources at it.
There were quite a few in the ‘80’s, including Eddie Brown, Geoff Torretta, Scott Provin, Rich Newbill, and quite a few others.

Portal is the new juco

I mean a kid who went to Charlotte tark Crawford from Texas is an example... didn’t have the grades yet snuck in there but is now in the portal all good to go on a transfer... high 4 star kid I hope we kick the tires on

Yes. I think from San Francisco City College. The same JC where O.J. Simpson went before USC.

I used to hear that Jucos were always problematic because kids still often had academic issues when you tried to recruit them.

I think USC was one of the top tier programs in the 2000’s who relied more on Jucos than other major powers around the country. The proximity of the big JUCO system probably made it easier for them to stay on top of the best JUCO talent.

one, our hit rate is awful, like I said. Dean, Traore, Wyche, Sandland, Kayne Farquarason, McMeans, Washington...all JAGs. Our best JUCO kid this millennium was who... Kamalu? Much more success with grad transfers.

two, quality of JUCO depth isn’t there anymore. The top kids will always end up in the SEC due to location, $$ and academics and after the top handful of kids it is really hard to find quality. There’s three total guys ranked above 3 stars in 247’s JUCO rankings, and as we all know by now, star rankings are correlated with success.

Maybe it’s just personal preference but show me a kid’s tape at the FBS or FCS level and I’ll put more stock in it than watching JUCO stuff. I got burned by Beau Sandland!
Beau Sandland burned us all my friend, dude was supposed to the next Shockey instead he was a JAG who was purely a blocker.

Advertisement
Portal is the new juco

Yep; Lou was from JUCO in San Francisco

Beau Sandland burned us all my friend, dude was supposed to the next Shockey instead he was a JAG who was purely a blocker.
sandland didn’t burn us. we had a staph who couldn’t evaluate, and didn’t use him well either.

Advertisement
Back