Why don't we recruit JUCOs more?

Goulds Cane

Senior
The last 3 JUCO kids I remember us recruiting were Ousman Traore, Jhavonte Dean & Jerome Washington. I could be wrong but those are the last 3 I remember. Why don't we recruit them more? At the positions we've been weak at (OL & CB) we could've EASILY found help at those positions in the last few cycles.

Advertisement
The last 3 JUCO kids I remember us recruiting were Ousman Traore, Jhavonte Dean & Jerome Washington. I could be wrong but those are the last 3 I remember. Why don't we recruit them more? At the positions we've been weak at (OL & CB) we could've EASILY found help at those positions in the last few cycles.

Jhavonte Dean, Figs are two more i can remember. I believe there was a white TE from the Golden era too. Can't remember his name now.\

Edit. Beau Sandland

Advertisement
Jucos are really hurt with this new transfer rule. That will basically eliminate all the FBS bouncebacks
Was going to say this - JUCOs were a place for teams to fill open spots with kids that generally had a few more years of weight training and experience than high school kids so they could potentially help right away; now they can just do that through the portal with kids who are more likely to qualify.

There's no good reason. It's a flaw. It's not like we didn't have Cortez Kennedy, Bryant McKinnie, Jeremy Shockey and Jerome McDougle as examples. Maybe the big programs just outbid us. My guess is we're not well set up for juco recruiting and don't put the resources at it.

Advertisement
First of all, it’s been what, twenty years since we got a good player out of JUCO? There’s a handful of linemen every year that go to the SEC or Big 12 a at and then everything else is pretty meh. Portal has replaced JUCOs, as noted.

Also, don’t have numbers to back this up, but seems like a growing trend of plucking kids from FCS that want a shot with the big boys before the big payday. This year it’s Zappe (though WKU isn’t exactly the bright lights), Toure, etc. Last year it was Jabril Cox from North Dakota State. Oregon got a QB from Eastern Washington a few years back. Obviously we tried and failed with Tommy Kennedy and, to a lesser extent, Dee Delaney. Personally, I’d rather try a transfer from that level than a JUCO.

First of all, it’s been what, twenty years since we got a good player out of JUCO? There’s a handful of linemen every year that go to the SEC or Big 12 a at and then everything else is pretty meh. Portal has replaced JUCOs, as noted.

Also, don’t have numbers to back this up, but seems like a growing trend of plucking kids from FCS that want a shot with the big boys before the big payday. This year it’s Zappe (though WKU isn’t exactly the bright lights), Toure, etc. Last year it was Jabril Cox from North Dakota State. Oregon got a QB from Eastern Washington a few years back. Obviously we tried and failed with Tommy Kennedy and, to a lesser extent, Dee Delaney. Personally, I’d rather try a transfer from that level than a JUCO.
why?

Juco should give you a player with 2-3 years eligibility. That’s worth more, assuming you can evaluate them.

The idea the portal has replaced juco makes no sense to me. The portal is just a centralized transfer bureau. The question is whether you can find talent in the juco ranks. We used to. SEC schools still do.

I don’t see why we don’t recruit juco much more. I suspect as noted above its resources. We’re just not set up to identify them early, communicate with them enough to win the battles for sought after kids. Maybe we don’t have their coach’s mother’s brother on payroll like Auburn does. But some talented kids end up in junior colleges and we should be looking for them if they’re logical recruits for us.

Our all american punter is juco if Im not mistaken

Advertisement
why?

Juco should give you a player with 2-3 years eligibility. That’s worth more, assuming you can evaluate them.

The idea the portal has replaced juco makes no sense to me. The portal is just a centralized transfer bureau. The question is whether you can find talent in the juco ranks. We used to. SEC schools still do.

I don’t see why we don’t recruit juco much more. I suspect as noted above its resources. We’re just not set up to identify them early, communicate with them enough to win the battles for sought after kids. Maybe we don’t have their coach’s mother’s brother on payroll like Auburn does. But some talented kids end up in junior colleges and we should be looking for them if they’re logical recruits for us.
one, our hit rate is awful, like I said. Dean, Traore, Wyche, Sandland, Kayne Farquarason, McMeans, Washington...all JAGs. Our best JUCO kid this millennium was who... Kamalu? Much more success with grad transfers.

two, quality of JUCO depth isn’t there anymore. The top kids will always end up in the SEC due to location, $$ and academics and after the top handful of kids it is really hard to find quality. There’s three total guys ranked above 3 stars in 247’s JUCO rankings, and as we all know by now, star rankings are correlated with success.

Maybe it’s just personal preference but show me a kid’s tape at the FBS or FCS level and I’ll put more stock in it than watching JUCO stuff. I got burned by Beau Sandland!

one, our hit rate is awful, like I said. Dean, Traore, Wyche, Sandland, Kayne Farquarason, McMeans, Washington...all JAGs. Our best JUCO kid this millennium was who... Kamalu? Much more success with grad transfers.

two, quality of JUCO depth isn’t there anymore. The top kids will always end up in the SEC due to location, $$ and academics and after the top handful of kids it is really hard to find quality. There’s three total guys ranked above 3 stars in 247’s JUCO rankings, and as we all know by now, star rankings are correlated with success.

Maybe it’s just personal preference but show me a kid’s tape at the FBS or FCS level and I’ll put more stock in it than watching JUCO stuff. I got burned by Beau Sandland!
none of this makes sense to me. our staff is supposed to be able to evaluate and we should be able to competitively recruit, when the kid fits us. there’s nothing so different about transfers.

Advertisement
none of this makes sense to me. our staff is supposed to be able to evaluate and we should be able to competitively recruit, when the kid fits us. there’s nothing so different about transfers.

I believe you answered your own question. It's easier to use camps to compare kids out of HS or watch game film of quality transfer kids out of the portal than do proper evals on Juco kids. And our staff is only mediocre at evaluations to begin with.

OP; u just answered ur own question. Lol.

We have absolutely sucked at recruiting the JUCO ranks. Our eye has been wide shut.

Most of our JUCOs recently have sucked, JAGs at best. The very good prospects get snatched up by “local” state schools or the national programs. In most instances, the juice wouldn’t be worth the squeeze.

Advertisement
Back