Why don't we love Hard Rock?

1. Did I say anything about obtaining a new stadium?

2. Did I not specifically answer as to y there’s reservation to playing in said stadium?

I said what I said; HRS is closer to a neutral field for a big game vs. a true home field for Miami for everything I listed. For God’s sake man, the grounds crew won’t even change the end zone when they have the Dolphins’ ‘70’s argyle paint.

For the last time, I don’t live in Fl so it’s no never mind where The University plays ball at, but if u’re going to ask why, I’ll tell u why we get negatively recruited for playing there. It’s a place to play ball, nothing more or less. And yes, I know 2017 bro.
I hate that the OP regurgitated this talking point again even tho it's repetitive. it is where we play. there are no other options to play right now. you see the one booster we had even talking about it is about to go into bankruptcy soon enough. no one is gonna fund the stadium for us (Mas doesn't want more than 20-25k in their stadium and it will never have a shred of orange and green in it - it will be all pink and black). it also took them forever to get the county to agree to a site. we haven't even started that process and whatever land we could find isnt close to campus either. you either move to south south dade (30-40 min the other way) or west broward (even further than HRS). as of now, were at HRS until were not. the issue is this county will never build a new football stadium esp for the canes (not a pro team tht can pay for the renovations, upkeep (heat do this)). the fins can't even get public money to make renovations to HRS and they host multiple revenue generating events for miami dade.

Advertisement
there is also a lot more land to build on at those big schools. if UM had land to build on, they'd likely find a way to put an on campus stadium in there IF CG would allow it (they wont so it doesn't matter anyways).
Exactly. When I was at UCF in the late 90's (before they had an on campus stadium) they had dozens and dozens of acres of undeveloped land on campus. Over the years, the campus has expanded exponentially to the point where I don't recognize most of the campus because there was nothing there when I was in school. They had room to build a new football stadium and a new basketball arena. UM doesn't. They're right smack in the middle of a crowded metro area and if you're not paying attention, you might drive right past the school without knowing so.

People hate hard rock because they’re associating it with the past 20 years of lackluster performance, ****** coaching, blow out losses, constant reminder from opponent’s fanbases about attendance, and losing to basketball schools.

If the past 20 seasons were filled with multiple 11 or 10 win seasons, a few orange bowl wins, maybe even just one more national championships. The stadium will be one of the most beloved sites in all of South Florida.

The orange bowl was a total SHT hole. But it was our sht hole!! And we were there for the wide right, the destruction of Notre Dame, national championship victory with a deflected ball at the goal line, it was a horrible stadium with horrible parking and horrible tailgating. But we had a 54 game win streak, and memorable seasons, and moments.

That’s why people hate hard rock.

Advertisement
There were 19,096 students as of fall 2021 and 43% or about 8200 lived on campus. Who should the school cater to more, the 8200 students or the alumni in Broward and Palm Beach who pay full price for tickets and donate to the school?
The percentage of wealthy alumni in Broward/WPB who have enough money to donate to the University and attend games regularly is probably 0.05% of all attendees.

Last edited:
B/c it’s a teal stadium that was built specifically for the Miami Dolphins, which Ross clearly made as evidence & The University of Miami is not profiting from it.

B/c literally nothing about that stadium shows it’s a home field for The University of Miami in any capacity. It’s a neutral field type of stadium just like AT&T Stadium for the Texas Longhorns prime time events or Mercedes Benz for UGA’s prime time events.

Don’t @ me either b/c I have no skin in this, but if u wanna know why, that’s why. Ppl who vouch for the venue is vouching from a convenience standpoint vs. a University of Miami image/business standpoint. The rhetoric of playing in a world class stadium is moot & conjecture. If playing in a “world class” stadium was the ticket, then we would see the likes of UGA, UCLA, LSU etc. all forfeit their venues to play at world renown NFL venues that host multiple events outside of football.

It’s already been posted ad nauseam how other programs have used their stadiums as recruiting tools, advantage tools, financial tools, even if they don’t own the stadium they play in being leasing managers.
10000000000000%

The percentage of wealthy alumni in Broward/WPB who have enough money to donate to the University and attend games regularly is probably 0.05% of all attendees.
the student body doesn't care to attend games. **** our biggest donors empire is literally a mile or so from the county line

People hate hard rock because they’re associating it with the past 20 years of lackluster performance, ****** coaching, blow out losses, constant reminder from opponent’s fanbases about attendance, and losing to basketball schools.

If the past 20 seasons were filled with multiple 11 or 10 win seasons, a few orange bowl wins, maybe even just one more national championships. The stadium will be one of the most beloved sites in all of South Florida.

The orange bowl was a total SHT hole. But it was our sht hole!! And we were there for the wide right, the destruction of Notre Dame, national championship victory with a deflected ball at the goal line, it was a horrible stadium with horrible parking and horrible tailgating. But we had a 54 game win streak, and memorable seasons, and moments.

That’s why people hate hard rock.
The OB was uncomfortable, smelly, and hot. It was even more so for opposing fans. The opposing teams felt uncomfortable. We embraced it. It was real home field advantage.

Advertisement
s
The OB was uncomfortable, smelly, and hot. It was even more so for opposing fans. The opposing teams felt uncomfortable. We embraced it. It was real home field advantage.
sure looked like when we couldn't beat a crappy NCSU team or getting smoked by UVA. when we suck, it was empty and dead. when we were good, It was full and loud. no diff than HRS

s

sure looked like when we couldn't beat a crappy NCSU team or getting smoked by UVA. when we suck, it was empty and dead. when we were good, It was full and loud. no diff than HRS
So you are saying that the Orange Bowl didn't have a better home field advantage?

Advertisement
So you are saying that the Orange Bowl didn't have a better home field advantage?
im saying when the team was good, they dominated. when we didnt play big name teams, it was empty as **** and there was no home field adv and when we sucked, it didnt matter where we played, we got blown out either way. the diff now is that we dont have the cool end zones and we haven't been good since that LSU debacle in the peach bowl.

If one had a dollar for every post that lead with ............."where the Canes play football, Hard Rock, stadium should be on Campus, Where can a stadium be built for the Hurricanes, or the advantage or disadvantage of playing off campus"......
I could retire in a Key Biscayne penthouse and never worry another day in my life...
The equivalent of winning the $500 M lottery...........SMH

Advertisement
...... We are actually punching above our weight class considering the size of the school. I actually am against building a right-size stadium in Coral Gables because I just think it cements us into a second tier program. .......
I don't know why people can't see this.

I hope we stay in Hard Rock because the alternative would likely be much worse. Most new stadiums have flat lower bowls (and a lower bowl is probably all we'd get) and the first rows start way too far away from the field. The renovations to HRS made a dramatic difference. The roof/shield makes it feel much more intimate and traps the noise in. I'm fine with it. If we ever want to be a big time program again we don't need a stadium that always looks small time even when a big opponent is in town.

The Orange Bowl was so Miami. It was the first landmark I noticed after landing at MIA while driving to Coral Gables. It left an indelible impression. It was also a major home field advantage.

The OB & the neighborhood it was in were intimidating (starting with the opponent’s drive to the stadium). Fans of the opposing team likely didn’t feel that comfortable heading into the stadium either. It also rocked & was absolutely electric for big games. Will never forget the atmosphere for the ‘89 Catholics vs Convicts game against ND. It was unbelievable the entire night. When you think of Miami football, thoughts immediately go to plays like:

1) Randall Hill converting on 3rd & 44

2) Tiger Clark picking off that Tony Rice throw before the half

3) Shockey catching the winning TD against FSU to signal that we were back

4) Fans storming the field after the UCLA win & Edge nearly collapsing on the ground at the end after a monster performance

5) Wide Right

6) Wide left

7) Highsmith et al at midfield against Oklahoma

8) The deflected pass that sealed our first National Championship

Those are indelible memories that are iconic not just for Miami fans but for all fans of CFB. They are all associated with the OB.

The OB was unquestionably a factor in not losing a home game for about a decade. 58-0. An incredible feat. Losses were unthinkable at the OB while I was at UM. Students wept if we lost one game. It may have been in serious need of renovations but what an amazing place that was.

That being said, Hard Rock is a great stadium. As others have noted, the atmosphere can be electric there too. It is the home for Canes football for the foreseeable future. I’m pretty optimistic that this will be the year that we start making more indelible memories at HRS. Our OL & TVD need to set the tone. Our DL has to realize it’s significant potential & wreak havoc on opponents. Let’s get back to refusing to lose (especially at home). Go Canes!

It's a big teal stadium with Dolphins stuff all over it. There is no Canes history there and it's not our stadium. The Orange Bowl WAS our stadium, maybe our name wasn't on the lease per se, but we had our ring of honor and by squatters rights it was ours.

Miami needs its own stadium, there isn't any sugar coating that fact. Our rivals rip in to us for renting a stadium and they are correct to do that, it's a fair criticism of a cheap administration who hasn't cared about or invested in football since the 80's.

One day we'll get one. Until then, we'll have to continue to play games at the rent-a-stadium.

Without any reservation I miss the Original Orange Bowl BUT, no one can deny the comfort and access plus parking at the Rock. I was shocked the first time I went to the swamp. Parking there is worse then the Original Orange Bowl . I went there on a relatives player pass. My seat was a lined gap on a bleacher bench that was about a foot wide. In the same row was the Pouncey twins parent and since I was on the end of that row I had about 2 inches to sit on. It was hotter than any stadium I've ever been in since there was zero ocean breeze. The facilities were reminiscent of the Orange Bowl, **** every where. .So when I find can park in a lot, sit in a real seat in the shade at the Rock, use clean facilities, I wonder why all the urgency to leave there. I also think recruits love the idea of playing on an NFL field. Since an on-campus cannot happen I can't see any benefit in moving simply to move.
I wonder what others have experienced at other venues. I haven't been to doak and wonder what others have experienced there? I also wonder if recruits know what there family accommodations will be at other facilities compared to the Rock? Now if we can only start winning like we did in the OOB I'll be very happy!
You answered your question with your last sentence. We start winning anywhere close to the way we used to and this stadium issue will vanish.

I've been to The Coliseum, Kenan Stadium (UNC) , Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State and others. None of them come anywhere close to the comfort of HR. Most are what you described - uncomfortable bleachers. We don't need to build (another) off-campus stadium. We just need to WIN.

Advertisement
Back