Why don't we love Hard Rock?

The stadium itself is top class. Maybe the nicest stadium in the country

It gets heat because it’s too big for our fans to fill unless we’ve got a big name opponent in town and because it’s far from campus.
most of our fans dont come from campus so location is always overrated. our students werent going to the OB when we sucked too and had to be begged to get out of bed for a noon game by their frats

Advertisement
The stadium itself is top class. Maybe the nicest stadium in the country

It gets heat because it’s too big for our fans to fill unless we’ve got a big name opponent in town and because it’s far from campus.
Bro no offense, but you need to get out more LOL. HRS is Mickey Mouse compared to AT&T and SoFi Stadium. Most new stadiums built in the last 10 years are nicer than HRS.

Perfect for broward and west palm.
Exactly... the biggest proponents for Joe Robbie S. live north of the stadium. Parking wasn't a big issue at the OB if you got to know a homeowner and arranged parking. Last time I attended a Canes game at JRS, I parked at a spill-over lot that was much farther than anything I walked at the OB, I have some health issues which limits the distance I can walk... in addition my seats at the OB were a short walk from the road. Also, JRS parking is very expensive.
The OB could have been refurbished on different levels... but beisbol was a corrupt project that had local government involvement, so it was bye-bye for the U's real home field.

Honestly, it's weird to play in a stadium that is specifically not themed for you and obviously not yours. It's hard to create baseline atmosphere when you can always tell it's the Dolphins stadium because teal is EVERYWHERE. When we play in a big game the fans create the atmosphere and it's perfectly fine. But when it's not a big game you very much feel like you're borrowing something and an interloper.

Advertisement
Well the seats are teal instead of orange/green so I’ll start there. Parking hasn’t been easy ever since they moved/built all the Dolphins facilities over there. Sure it’s nice to be closer to fans in Broward and Palm Beach but it’s a bit unfair to students in Coral Gables who drop big $$$ to go there.

It’s not ours and never will be. Almost every FBS program has their own stadium. Soon we’ll be the only FBS program in the state of Florida without one. Facilities and program image matter to recruits just as much as anything else. Find a way to get an ideal venue for Hurricanes Football or continue to lag behind all the other programs.

Advertisement
Real question bc I don’t know. I’m here in southwest Louisiana. How many more fans would a “on campus” stadium bring honestly? 3k? 5k?

The only part of hard rock I have an issue with is revenue bc I feel we getting hosed on that end.

Well the seats are teal instead of orange/green so I’ll start there. Parking hasn’t been easy ever since they moved/built all the Dolphins facilities over there. Sure it’s nice to be closer to fans in Broward and Palm Beach but it’s a bit unfair to students in Coral Gables who drop big $$$ to go there.

It’s not ours and never will be. Almost every FBS program has their own stadium. Soon we’ll be the only FBS program in the state of Florida without one. Facilities and program image matter to recruits just as much as anything else. Find a way to get an ideal venue for Hurricanes Football or continue to lag behind all the other programs.
There were 19,096 students as of fall 2021 and 43% or about 8200 lived on campus. Who should the school cater to more, the 8200 students or the alumni in Broward and Palm Beach who pay full price for tickets and donate to the school?

College stadiums aren’t built the same. Most are program landmarks nobody wants to fully renovate. It’s less about skyboxes and suites and more about character, grit, and tradition.
So leave an NFL stadium because it's not as nice as AT&T or SoFi and build a college stadium with character, grit, and tradition?

Advertisement
I love Hard Rock. Not a bad seat in the place. The renovations are a vast improvement. Miss the Orange Bowl and the neighborhood but will see UM play wherever they decide to play. For now it’s Hard Rock so I’ll go there. I drive two and half hours to Hard Rock, use to drive three hours to the OB. Anyone only driving 45 minutes or less to see UM will always find something to complain about. If the Canes were a nasty dominant team, this would be a non-issue.

OP is the Orange Bowl of this forum

Old, crumbling infrastructure, dangerous when unmonitored but still just has that charm about it that lets us overlook the obvious negatives

Lots of good memories and probably something we will love even more in retrospect

The locker rooms in the OB were small for an NFL team. Can't imagine how bad it was for college teams.

Advertisement
B/c it’s a teal stadium that was built specifically for the Miami Dolphins, which Ross clearly made as evidence & The University of Miami is not profiting from it.

B/c literally nothing about that stadium shows it’s a home field for The University of Miami in any capacity. It’s a neutral field type of stadium just like AT&T Stadium for the Texas Longhorns prime time events or Mercedes Benz for UGA’s prime time events.

Don’t @ me either b/c I have no skin in this, but if u wanna know why, that’s why. Ppl who vouch for the venue is vouching from a convenience standpoint vs. a University of Miami image/business standpoint. The rhetoric of playing in a world class stadium is moot & conjecture. If playing in a “world class” stadium was the ticket, then we would see the likes of UGA, UCLA, LSU etc. all forfeit their venues to play at world renown NFL venues that host multiple events outside of football.

It’s already been posted ad nauseam how other programs have used their stadiums as recruiting tools, advantage tools, financial tools, even if they don’t own the stadium they play in being leasing managers.

Here is a factor that I don't think I have seen discussed clearly.

We compare ourselves to major college programs but it is rarely noted that almost all of those colleges have 3-4 times the enrollment that we have.

On a ratio basis, our stadium is much bigger than schools of a similar size. I was wondering if anyone had done any kind of analysis of that ratio of enrollment/seating and found this

We are 7th at a ratio of 4.82 and the only serious school above us is Notre Dame. SEC and Big 10 are under 2,5. Of course that has a follow-on affect on our alumni base.

I just think it is worth noting when people complain about not filling the stadium. We are actually punching above our weight class considering the size of the school. I actually am against building a right-size stadium in Coral Gables because I just think it cements us into a second tier program. I would rather win at a high level where we are so that people will be motivated to show up.

Hard Rock is a good stadium for our purposes but just inconvenient from the campus. That makes it hard to get a true collegiate experience generated there since it is so disconnected from campus life. It is what it is. Just win and it won't be a question anymore.

Advertisement
Back