Why does our RB screen game...

A few screens have been blown up (happens to all teams). Our screen game has actually been fairly good from recall. They typically are called at good times and go for good yardage. Our screen game has been greatly improved since the last to regimes.

If you need to pick at something, pick at qb play. Kayaa was mediocre at UVA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk

Advertisement
I dont know for sure, but it seems like our screens on early downs(1st and 2nd) work much better than they do on 3rd. Or maybe that's just selective memory on my part. But one of the ways you subdue good pass rushes ( and when you have an Oline that isn't that great) is to use screens. Im glad they are at least being incorporated now into the game plans

...look like such garbage? Is Kaaya terrible at it? Is the play design bad?

Kaaya throws the WR screens beautifully. But those RB screens look about as bad as any I've seen in college football this year. Very clunky and awkward even when they work.

They stopped us on what? 2 out of the 5 screens we ran. The other 3 were successful. Gus run was called back which was 60 yards
Don't be an insipid **** and point to stats or try to emphasize how a hold on a screen was OK.

I'm talking about how the RB screen game looks, not about a RB making something out of nothing. It's a clunky awkward looking screen game that will get destroyed by decent teams. I'm looking for reasons it looks so ****** compared to other teams.

Definitely more important that it LOOK sweet than that it works.

Advertisement

Kaaya throws the WR screens beautifully. But those RB screens look about as bad as any I've seen in college football this year. Very clunky and awkward even when they work.

They stopped us on what? 2 out of the 5 screens we ran. The other 3 were successful. Gus run was called back which was 60 yards
Don't be an insipid **** and point to stats or try to emphasize how a hold on a screen was OK.

I'm talking about how the RB screen game looks, not about a RB making something out of nothing. It's a clunky awkward looking screen game that will get destroyed by decent teams. I'm looking for reasons it looks so ****** compared to other teams.

Don't be a cute little snarky fcking maggot. The fact that it's awkward and disjointed stops it from working a lot better. It almost always requires several broken tackles to be even remotely effective because the timing is off.

Don't be a cute little snarky fcking maggot. The fact that it's awkward and disjointed stops it from working a lot better. It almost always requires several broken tackles to be even remotely effective because the timing is off.

Sooooo...we do care if it works now?

Advertisement
They take way too long to develop. They do look awfully weird to me as well. But when we complete them they are executed pretty **** well.

Gave me McGahee flashbacks.

You're so smart. You and broke teamed up and got me. Put that **** in your signature to memorialize it.

Our RB screen game is run perfectly because Walton broke 50 tackles on one and Gus broke one that he wouldn't have but for a holding penalty that brought it back anyway.

You guys are right. We're running it to perfection.

You're so smart. You and broke teamed up and got me. Put that **** in your signature to memorialize it.

Our RB screen game is run perfectly because Walton broke 50 tackles on one and Gus broke one that he wouldn't have but for a holding penalty that brought it back anyway.

Jeez, calm down. I didn't say they were perfect, I'm just trying to say that results are more important than prettiness.

Advertisement

Not teaming up with anybody man just a discussion. We had some success at it this game and some bad as well. Need to clean it up

Kaaya looks robotic running them. He does the same motion regardless of where the pass rush is. He takes a deep drop, then kinda sidesteps as if a D-lineman is bearing down on him (even when he has a clean pocket).
Perhaps it's a tell for a safety to fly down before the OL can pull.

The screen game has bore fruit a few times, but I'd like to see us mix in a middle screen to a RB.

Jeez, calm down. I didn't say they were perfect, I'm just trying to say that results are more important than prettiness.

Your lame attempt at a gotcha moment revealed your lack of understanding of the RB screen game. It's based on deception and timing. When either or both of those elements are off you're not maximizing the potential of the play.

For some reason, we're not running that play as sharply and crisply as a lot of other teams run it.

So while you're patting yourself on the back after Walton broke 50 tackles to make something out of nothing I'm wondering why the plays are breaking down and requiring a super human effort from the RB to be effective.

Advertisement
Problem with Screen Game:
1. Timing -- Either our backs are not patient enough (Walton) or our Oline needs to do a better job of getting out in front, but we are to far outside of our blockers when the ball is caught 50% of the time. I have a feeling this is due to 3 factors
a. RBs are leaking out to early and drifting to far
b. OL are blocking to much at LOS and not releasing
c. QB is floating ball to make sure it doesn't get batted and a little late with the throw.

2. The last few games we've run the same screen play a few times. I'd like to see a middle screen like the one that would've went for big yards against sorry school up north if Kaaya and walton good have connected. Would also like to see a swing screen into the boundry where the WRs crack and the tackle takes out the corner. However we have run only 1 variation of the screen the last couple of plays

3. A poster said it earlier that we haven't utilized the screen game in over a decade. We used to be one of the better teams out there and probably practiced it hundred of times in practice before we used it in the games. Not so much for the last decade. It's not the easiest play to time up perfectly, but man it looks great when you can.

Chise is right, something is not clicking very well on our screen game and it need to be cleaned up. However at least were calling them again.

You need athletic lineman to run a good screen game. All of our lineman run with cement in their shoes. They are so slow they struggle making it to their spot on time.

Most of the time on a screen in college or Pros, the RB has to make someone miss for it to be a big gain unless its called to the same side a blitz is coming from.

It wasn't a holding penalty, it was a flag for an illegal block low and from behind on Gauthier. Like the Clemson call against FSU, it was far enough from the play where Gus would have blown by the guy Gauthier blocked. A dumb unnecessary penalty.

It wasn't a holding penalty, it was a flag for an illegal block low and from behind on Gauthier. Like the Clemson call against FSU, it was far enough from the play where Gus would have blown by the guy Gauthier blocked. A dumb unnecessary penalty.

It was a very obvious penalty pretty close to the play.

Advertisement
Back