Why did Malik Rosier play decline so much last year?

The short answer is that the 2018 season was the cumulative effect of the Richt indoctrination. Another poster touched on this I think it was @The Franchise. Anyway his decline had everything to do with Richt's system of trying to turn every QB into a stiff, mechanical robot who must always throw to the "right" receiver. Consequently these quarterbacks lose all of their ability to use their instincts until they can barely function. Add a porous OL to that and you have the trash heap we witnessed last year.

Advertisement
People figured out that he couldn't throw to all parts of the field and schemed against him. He was done as soon as teams figured him out. I'm just shocked it took teams so darn long.

Boom. This ^^^

Gotta love all the anti-Richt comments; as if Mark wasn't the head coach in 2017 when Rosier had a good season.

Success breeds success and in 2017 the getting was good; the Canes were a lucky-break team the first ten games of the season.

Early pushovers with Bethune-Cookman and Toledo. East first road game at Duke (after Arkansas State cancelled and Florida State postponed.)

Pretty good outing at Florida State, which became great after a miracle final drive and touchdown catch.

Miracle 4th-and-10 grab against Georgia Tech a week later, survived a feisty Syracuse squad and needed to force a late turnover to get out of 1-6 North Carolina with a win.

Benefit of two prime time home games against two toughest foes; Virginia Tech and Notre Dame. Survived sluggish start against Virginia—down 14 twice early—only to roll late.

Exposed at Pittsburgh in the season finale. Destroyed by much better Clemson team in ACC title game. Outlasted by a tougher Wisconsin squad in Orange Bowl. Once beaten and figured out, Rosier was never the same—as the same mistakes in the three-game losing streak were on display in last year's opener against LSU.

Rosier rode the wave as long as he could've. Had Miami lost at Florida State—that 10-0 start probably would've looked more like 6-4, as the mojo and find-a-way vibe wouldn't have been the case in those mid-season ACC games (nor would it have been a #7 versus #3 match-up against the Irish and a non-undefeated UM wouldn't have gotten GameDay or that type of crowd energy against Notre Dame.)

Rosier overachieved tremendously in 2017 and was swiftly brought back down to earth in 2018. He was always an average-at-best kid who was destined to be a back-up at Miami, but depth chart issues put him in a starting role when Brad Kaaya left early.

Oline play. Losing Herndon, losing 82, and the coaches playing QB musical chairs after the Toledo .. but idc what anyone says we played so off schedule on offense last year due to oline play

More than losing Herndon and Richards, the loss of veteran Braxton Berrios absolutely did Rosier in, as well.... that was his go-to.

Film exposed him. He was inaccurate as **** and didn’t go through progressions. Richt sucked as a playcaller but he campflouged him as long as he could.

Last few games of his Jr year is when it all came crashing down.
You think CMR is still here if he rode with Perry the whole season?

Advertisement
He lost his confidence. I think the fact he started messing up and knowing the fans wanted another QB to play started to get in his head. You can tell he was second guessing himself and wasn’t the leader he was in the 2017. As well as the multiple players who bailed him out in 2017 were not there in 2018.

This is what happened. He had no confidence on when to throw and when to take off running, something I thought he did really well in 2017 and horribly in 2018. I don't know how much he was "bailed out" in 2017, the whole team played worse in 2018. Even when Nkosi put it on the money there were a ton of drops. That being said, they were running the exact same plays in 2018 too so defenses knew what was coming pretty much every play.

Advertisement
Back