Why did King not keep more on RPO?

I think it was quite obvious it was on purpose. It cant be compared to Perry who came in at garbage time and wanted to get some sort of action under his Belt. D'eriq knows when to pull and/or handoff. Anyone who has watched Auburn or SMU knows that lashlee has many wrinkles to that Run/pass offense. He may get a little run happy as shown from his days in Auburn but he has more to his offense than what was shown tonight.

D'eriq has to settle down and hit the easy throws tho. Way too much happy feet tonight.

Advertisement
Why would you purposely neuter your offence?

He keeps it, the drive keeps going, we score more points and get the backups more time. It also opens things up for the RBs as EVERYONE on defence isn't just lining up to take a shot at them.

I'm not buying the argument that we didn't want him to get hurt - he ******* blocked a guy downfield and leapt into the endzone tonight. I'm also not buying that we didn't want to put it on film - it's a simple zone read, we're not going to surprise Louisville next week when King keeps it!
I completely agree with you but I find it hard to believe he's that mentally incompetent and failed to see every D-linemen and linebacker crashing down on the run...i'm just hoping he realizes how many times he f'd up there.

OP is confusing RPO with read-option, but that still brings up another point: anybody concerned we didn’t really run any RPO?

Advertisement
OP is confusing RPO with read-option, but that still brings up another point: anybody concerned we didn’t really run any RPO?

I think the goal was to be as vanilla as possible and just run tempo, which ultimately worked.

King has run the zone read before. He knows what he's doing. The ends were crashing down, and he was still giving.

I suspect he'll be keeping more next week if Louisville crashes that hard.

Game 1. As a defense, you are expecting him to do this also.

This will be better in the long run as well, otherwise all you'd do is key on King. Think back to Vick and Jones... honestly it's the same reason Ingram has been so productive with Jackson as well. You need smoke for the mirrors.

Advertisement
We ran a few.. Even Nkosi ran one and think he pulled it by back exchange and threw it to Redding.. Execution wasnt the best on them tho, think UAB did good job on those

I think the goal was to be as vanilla as possible and just run tempo, which ultimately worked.

King has run the zone read before. He knows what he's doing. The ends were crashing down, and he was still giving.

I suspect he'll be keeping more next week if Louisville crashes that hard.
You sir obviously get what I am saying. Zone read, RPO doesn't matter. The point is that like you said the ends were crashing and if he keeps its big chunk yardage. I'm ok with being vanilla for the 1st game It's just that one thing that bothered me. I do agree that King will look to keep more next game if the UL DEs crash down like UAB.

Advertisement
We were talkin' about this at the Ale House.

I'm saying they kept it very vanilla tonight. We already know that RPO's and Read-Option are a big part of Lashlee's offense. If we didn't see them tonight then there's probably a legit reason why.

That is true but let me tell you brother, if you were even halfway as in the bag as I was then you would have confused the wishbone offense with the air raid! I knew it was a bad idea to drink before the game but I did it anyway lol. I'm going to need the entire weekend to recover. Not as young as I used to be.

Advertisement
It's a long season you don't want him to get hurt. He will get hit enough because our OL is still suspect. Our running backs were constantly being hit in the backfield.

King ran just enough to keep the defense honest.

Go Canes
Thats a reasonable take. I can see that.

We were talkin' about this at the Ale House.

I'm saying they kept it very vanilla tonight. We already know that RPO's and Read-Option are a big part of Lashlee's offense. If we didn't see them tonight then there's probably a legit reason why.

Chess. Not checkers. It's game 1 and it was UAB for crying out loud. Our offense is light years ahead of last years debacle. Buckle up! After watching our D last night. I think we're going to be in some shootouts this year. Thankfully,we can score and for that I say. Hallelujah!!!

Go Canes!!!!!

Why would you purposely neuter your offence?

He keeps it, the drive keeps going, we score more points and get the backups more time. It also opens things up for the RBs as EVERYONE on defence isn't just lining up to take a shot at them.

I'm not buying the argument that we didn't want him to get hurt - he ******* blocked a guy downfield and leapt into the endzone tonight. I'm also not buying that we didn't want to put it on film - it's a simple zone read, we're not going to surprise Louisville next week when King keeps it!
Why aren't you buying what was pretty obvious? You don't think we wanted to highlight how explosive our young backs really are to a future opponent while giving the young bucks the touches they all want?

Don't you think it now makes it tougher for their DC to key in on King? All three guys showed last night all they needed was the slightest crease to break a huge play.

Advertisement
Back