Why can't these kids just stay home

Advertisement
Its frustrating to see my guy Herbert Waters (#6 being one of the most prodcutive WR's through the first 3 games) being set back as the number 4 wide out. It kind of makes me wonder.... I take nothing away from Coley and Dorsett, these guys are explosive when the ball is in their hands, but to be pushed from #2 on the depth chart to #4, makes all down south high school WR's wonder.

Are the 3 guys ahead of him on the depth chart not from SoFla, too?

I was staying on the point of production of a Wide Receiver, not focusing on the area that they're from (down south). Herb was leading the WR's and was listed number 2 on the depth before the Savannah State game... It makes Rudolph, Johnson, Lane, Worton wonder whats going over there for a Wideout to be so productive and be pushed back?

The point is kind of erroneous because Coley was balling out and looking like the best WR in the state while Dorsett got injured and Herb was immediately back on the field..

Its not like he got benched...

Its frustrating to see my guy Herbert Waters (#6 being one of the most prodcutive WR's through the first 3 games) being set back as the number 4 wide out. It kind of makes me wonder.... I take nothing away from Coley and Dorsett, these guys are explosive when the ball is in their hands, but to be pushed from #2 on the depth chart to #4, makes all down south high school WR's wonder.

I was staying on the point of production of a Wide Receiver, not focusing on the area that they're from (down south). Herb was leading the WR's and was listed number 2 on the depth before the Savannah State game... It makes Rudolph, Johnson, Lane, Worton wonder whats going over there for a Wideout to be so productive and be pushed back?

Well, except that you're the one who brought where they're from into it. In any case, I would think that Coley emerging is a sign to these kids that if they work hard, they'll get a shot to play early. I have no clue if Waters did something to get demoted, or if it was just a case of getting passed by those behind him...only the coaching staff knows the answer to that. I think you're searching too hard for something negative to say.

Herb disappeared a little bit after the FSU and VTech games. His drops didn't help and they said he was a little banged up, too. I think Herb is going to be a big weapon for us next year. ****, he was a big weapon for us this year, too. Herb will be alright IMO.

Kids grew up with dreams of playing in the Orange Bowl....nobody grows up dreaming of playing at Sun Life Stadium.....our stadium hurts recruiting because it's awful

Advertisement

The VT game was rough for Herb. I am a big fan of his but maybe that has something to do with it.

We havent won a post season game of any kind since Dec 31, 2006. Most 2014 recruits were about 11 years old then. Think about that.

But we are back to recruiting at a high level now so as long as we start winning some meaningful games, more and more elite kids will want to stay home.

and we won't win another chipper if they keep splitting. Have some vision and pride. This program was built on kids that bucked the trend, grabbed their sack and controlled their own destiny.

This is exactly why many of them bolt, because your morals/values don't line up with their entitled ways. Kids wants don't add up to crazy fanbase's. Our motto is we don't care about anything but this U, but when 15-18 yr olds are treated like royalty by fanatics its hard for them to not think about I versus we...

Johnnie Dixon ‏@JDStandAlone 3h
If you think my mom is making me stay in Florida you're wrong she wants what's best for me

I think it's just that a lot of these kids haven't seen Miami when they were on top. The last time Miami played in a title game was in 02', most of these kids were 7-8 at the time. So for the most part all they've seen is bad Miami teams.

I think for the most part that is what has contributed to UF's success recruiting. We were really good during the teen years of these kids. I remember Spurrier talking about something similar when he was at UF competing against FSU. And the same was true early in Meyer's tenure. All those kids had seen was FSU being good so they won a majority of the head to head battles. Now if UF and Miami continue to struggle FSU will gain that advantage for the next generation watching them dominate now. It's the 'now' generation, that's all recruits care about is now. **** UF won a title in 08' and that's now a distant memory for most of these kids.

Advertisement
The SEC and these small college towns are able to showcase the entitlement and the "god" stature of their players within that community. You just saw that in FSU. Don't know if Winston raped her or not but the police make sure to remind the girl where she was and who he is/was. At 18 kids eat that stuff up. Miami is a big place and even some kids from here want to go to a place where the pace is slower and they are the end all be all.

I agree there was a time when it was all about your home. But these new generation of kids don't know what the word "Rep" means. You can't be a "hurricanes forever" and play at LSU. You cant "Rep Miami at Bama" if your are in a Bama jersey u reping Bama.

Also every kid says he wants to compete. But most kids only means that to an extent. They want to compete against guys who they are better than at their best. Not to compete with kids within 1 class of them that are just as good or better (referring to highe rated kids. 3* expect to face better comp) They want to be the man, that is what make what yearby and cook did so special and what would make it even more special if they do it in college.

Last edited:
Kids grew up with dreams of playing in the Orange Bowl....nobody grows up dreaming of playing at Sun Life Stadium.....our stadium hurts recruiting because it's awful

maybe if people actually went to the games regardless of who we played, and what our record would be then the atmosphere might be a little better

Advertisement
I got in this argument the other day with my wife (a huge Tennessee fan) about the tradition of her school and the "lack of tradition" of our school. What I kind of stumbled upon is the fact that our tradition is winning. Sure, it sounds like a copout, but hear me out. When we win, we are Miami: we have huge games, great players that are super stars, a huge city behind us and we take over the airwaves of the nation. No one talks about our crowds or our stadium or whatever because we are winning. When we are not winning, what do we have? We don't have a 100K person stadium, or 100 years of history or a conference with a ton of traditional powerhouses or anything like that. The truth is we have to win to be relevant. There are a lot of great things about Miami which is why I'm a huge fan, but this program jumped into the stratosphere suddenly in the 80s without any prior history of success and not a lot of tradition to speak of. When we don't win, we aren't Miami. Period.

I got in this argument the other day with my wife (a huge Tennessee fan) about the tradition of her school and the "lack of tradition" of our school. What I kind of stumbled upon is the fact that our tradition is winning. Sure, it sounds like a copout, but hear me out. When we win, we are Miami: we have huge games, great players that are super stars, a huge city behind us and we take over the airwaves of the nation. No one talks about our crowds or our stadium or whatever because we are winning. When we are not winning, what do we have? We don't have a 100K person stadium, or 100 years of history or a conference with a ton of traditional powerhouses or anything like that. The truth is we have to win to be relevant. There are a lot of great things about Miami which is why I'm a huge fan, but this program jumped into the stratosphere suddenly in the 80s without any prior history of success and not a lot of tradition to speak of. When we don't win, we aren't Miami. Period.

You are on to something. But I think she and maybe you too, might be confusing tradition with pageantry. We started running through the smoke. We started holding up four fingers. The cannon fire after TDs. Celebrating big plays (which the ncaa killed) and then above all else winning and playing for national titles.

When it comes to stadium environment, huge bands, women and men dressing up for games, Or wearing service uniforms, having a special song. We don't have those things.

You are on to something. But I think she and maybe you too, might be confusing tradition with pageantry. We started running through the smoke. We started holding up four fingers. The cannon fire after TDs. Celebrating big plays (which the ncaa killed) and then above all else winning and playing for national titles.

When it comes to stadium environment, huge bands, women and men dressing up for games, Or wearing service uniforms, having a special song. We don't have those things.

You might be right. I just think it's funny that we get blasted for our home field, but yet had a 58-Game winning streak at a broken down mad house in the OB. I know SLS in NOT the OB, but my point is when we win, we win anywhere. That **** only matters when we are not winning. I guess the point I'm trying to make is we aren't going out do other team's atmosphere, resources, pageantry, etc., so that means we have to win to be in consideration. Posters ask why bad teams like Tennessee, Ole Miss, Michigan etc can recruit in the top 10...they have all the bells and whistles to help them when their team is down. We don't.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back