Why Can't Guys Make Plays In This Defense

At franchise some notiable guys from both. Uva had guys like ahmad brooks(49ers), clint sintim(2nd round pick). Chris long(pro bowler with rams) golden had left after his frosh season but same scheme.

At temple junior gallete(saints), some guy adrian robinson(bucs), everybody knows wilkerson.

I'm familiar with all those players. I was asking you to substantiate your factual comment that he regularly had players posting 8-12 sacks per season. Show me the guys who did that under him.
Hush mouth?

They did play under him.

Advertisement
Who'd we have on the DL in 2010 when we were near the top in sacks and TFL's?

Bailey
Smith (too small for golden)
Robinson (way too small for golden)
Ojomo?
Vernon?

Am I missing somebody?

Look at Randy's 4th year defensive production vs Glutton's.

Look at sacks, INTs and TFL. Brace yourself.

At franchise some notiable guys from both. Uva had guys like ahmad brooks(49ers), clint sintim(2nd round pick). Chris long(pro bowler with rams) golden had left after his frosh season but same scheme.

At temple junior gallete(saints), some guy adrian robinson(bucs), everybody knows wilkerson.

I'm familiar with all those players. I was asking you to substantiate your factual comment that he regularly had players posting 8-12 sacks per season. Show me the guys who did that under him.
Hush mouth?

They did play under him.
Talking to franchise

an if that wasn't enough here is Wisconsin's 3-4 defense giving Auburn all they can handle in the 2015 Outback Bowl (Considering Wis was big underdog). An even the announcers commented about how Dave Aranda is a good DC because he doesn't play prevent defense and would rather attack on EVERY PLAY some how (this guy brings pressure getting off the bus).

[video=youtube;YTUPEzrIhqE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTUPEzrIhqE[/video]

Watch tape on Stanford and how they have defended Oregon the last couple of years. Stanford works primarily out of a 3-4 front but they use their parts substantially different. first off, they send an extra rusher or 2 on virtually every play. They're aggressive as ****.

Advertisement
I'm not talking about their performance as a unit or where the defense ranked.

I'm talking about guys who has had individual success and our guys are getting 2-4 sacks a year.

an if that wasn't enough here is Wisconsin's 3-4 defense giving Auburn all they can handle in the 2015 Outback Bowl (Considering Wis was big underdog). An even the announcers commented about how Dave Aranda is a good DC because he doesn't play prevent defense and would rather attack on EVERY PLAY some how (this guy brings pressure getting off the bus).

[video=youtube;YTUPEzrIhqE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTUPEzrIhqE[/video]

Watch tape on Stanford and how they have defended Oregon the last couple of years. Stanford works primarily out of a 3-4 front but they use their parts substantially different. first off, they send an extra rusher or 2 on virtually every play. They're aggressive as ****.

this what wins you games in college now a days, be aggressive on D and score a bunch of points

OP are you talking about watching this 2004 team coached by Al Golden UVA looking better than UM's 2014 defense? AG is running the same **** play book 10 years later and getting the same results UM's defense getting smoked when it counts!

[video=youtube;hYEbgipN0g4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYEbgipN0g4[/video]

same ole crappy Special Teams, same ole TE's exploiting the middle, same ole RB exploiting the scheme....that was Golden then, and this is Golden now.

Advertisement
What is seen was alot of players thinking and when you're thinking you're slow. Defense needs to simplified and allow that athletes to dictate the game.

This is exactly right. If the players are expected to pick which gap is correct in the 2 gap system, the odds of getting it right are at best 50/50.

Paranos is playing chess in this thread. Kudos.

Look at this video. Coach pyrite made Brock Berlin look like an elite college QB. lol

OP are you talking about watching this 2004 team coached by Al Golden UVA looking better than UM's 2014 defense? AG is running the same **** play book 10 years later and getting the same results UM's defense getting smoked when it counts!

Y
Paranos is playing chess in this thread. Kudos.

Look at this video. Coach pyrite made Brock Berlin look like an elite college QB. lol

4th & 4, less than a minute to go, on the 25, easy fg range, up by only 3. And Ol Clappy dials up a bomb to Roscoe Parrish for the TD. LMFAO that Larry Coker had a greater killer instinct than ALfraud Glutton.

Joaquin said dominate and we're not doing it!

It's still true, you can't dominate playing read and react, end of story.

Advertisement
I remember virtually every game one of the announcers would always say "you can't run sideline to sideline against a Miami defense.

Oh my dear lord how the mighty have fallen. We are as slow as I have ever seen a UM team and this was beginning to take shape before Alfraud.

tumblr_inline_n0m1jwA9i41s6c29e.gif

When You say it's more valuable for a guy to just stay in his gap rather than make a play on the ball, that is when you take away guys on defense ability to make plays.
In our current system, our Dline is asked to maintain 2 gaps, and basically just occupy the gaps. They don't want our Dline deeper than a yard or two past the LOS. And frankly that is the reason our Dline and Defense sucks. Dline is the most important position on defense (assuming the DL also has your main pass rushers), If you have a dominant DLine, it honestly doesn't matter too much who your LBs are, and it significanly improves the play of your DB's.
The problem is Miami isn't the type of team that gets these bigger Nose Tackle-like Lineman that this two gap system requires. Miami has always gotten the more undersized, quick and fast but still strong Lineman. These type of lineman do really well in a one gap system, where they are given the opportunity to make a play on the ball, rather than just sit and maintain a gap. This is the problem, the type of lineman we can get, aren't built for the defense we currently run, they are built for the defense that we traditionally used to run.
Quite Frankly it shows just how bad this staff is when they are supposed to be defensive coaches (Golden and Donofrio) and they can't even have an actual top 40 defense at THE U!! Plus they absolutely refuse to adjust their scheme.

This is even more apparent with the line backing core. Miami linebackers are typically the athletic undersized guys who can make plays. But what happens when you have a scheme that doesn't allow for them to do that? You fail, and that's what we have done. Our Linebackers should be attackers, but instead they play 29 yards off the ball when it 3rd and 2. Lastly, we need to do more press man coverage, and let safeties roam and make plays.

It just seems Golden and Donofrio take away what makes Miami defense so successful, and get the guys that aren't built for their system to conform, and it just doesn't work. Golden and his defense were built for the B1G or one of the north/northeast schools; NOT Miami. Give me Chudzinski next year as HC, Dorsey as OC, Butch or someone as DC, and everything will look better. Just Keep Beard, Kehoe, Ice, and Hurlie.

Well, technically they are supposed to read the play, and that dictates which gap they end up taking. So really there should be no guessing.

He is right in that making Dlineman play 2 gap, completely stops them from making impact plays on the game. This really isn't a big deal for some teams, because they can recruit those type of lineman that would be successful in that scheme. One big problem with this defense is that there is zero chance Golden can get the type of players that would perfectly fit his system. The talent Miami gets is and will always be best suited for an attacking 1 gap 43 defense (or 43 Over, which is similar to a 34).

Advertisement
In 2-gap you read the block of the lineman across from you. How that lineman blocks you determines what you do.

It's extremely difficult. Not only does it involve thinking but it involves great physical strength.

Advertisement
Back