Why can’t we win the Acc?

imurcane

Banned
Banned
I believe a consensus top 25 recruiting class for the past 3 years would be a completely kosher baseline of talent. The recruiting, including incoming frosh, have flipped to A-1. Could we have a few players get better bc of Mario and staff? Why not? I think we will win 2 out of next 4 college titles. Or once Damon arrives we win 2/3. Can’t put 3/3 on him!!

Advertisement
We will see how much of a difference a top coaching staff makes.

I don’t know much about any of them. I would say Strong is our best coach only based off of his advancement.

This has everything to do with field play and nothing with recruitment.

Advertisement
Hopefully we win 10 plus.

I still need to see how this 2022 team plays tbh.

Just going to reserve strong judgement until I see the Jimmies and joes hit the field.

I still see 8-4 with the current roster. With outside shots at 9-3 and 11-1 if a few bounces go our way.

Hopefully the coaching upgrade has these guys firing on all cylinders and in hopeful. But again until I see these dudes on the field and how they respond to adversity im not all homered out and setting my expectations to fail.

Happy with the QB room, RB room and Safety room. Beyond that I got questions.

Hopefully Ivey,Couch, the LBs, DL, OL and WRs all step up.

If TVD plays out of his mind anything is possible.

Sometimes QBs make the receiver sometimes the WRs make the QBs look better.

Hoping this year it’s TVD making the WRs look all world

Fwiw ESPN's FPI bumped us way up to #9. They give us a 45% chance of winning the coastal, which is better than you'd think. That's the 10th best odds of winning a division for any team in college football, and 7th best for a P5 team. They only give us a 16% chance of winning the division though. We do have the 9th best odds of making the playoffs.

The FPI says it all comes down to what we do against Clemson in the conference championship game. Which.. obviously.

Pitt was lucky we dropped games to lesser teams. Wake was lucky Clemson was not up to par. Luck does have something to do with winning your conference.

Advertisement
This season?

Roster still has too many holes to project us to win the ACC in year 1 of Mario’s tenure.

OL still has questions at RT & RG & there’s a glaring lack of depth in the event of injury to any of the OT’s.

The WR group is still unproven & all reports from Spring & Summer have been that no one has stood out or stepped up yet.

The Defense doesn’t have a premier pass rusher, we added good depth via Portal & the DLine should be improved in certain aspects with the additions, but we haven’t had a dominant pass rusher emerge yet. The LB corps lacks depth as well, aside from Chase Smith & Bissainthe we don’t really have any sure LB talent that has prerequisite speed & playmaking ability. Most of our LB’s are either too slow or converted Safety’s/Rush-Ends who never developed.

The CB group still has question marks as well, we have solid young depth at Corner & some good prospects, but if they don’t get on the field it won’t matter. Stevenson is a very good CB, but the rest have a lot to prove, there’s talent in the group but they have to show it.

Next year, if we’re still in the ACC, then it’s definitely possible; we’ll have to add OL, LB, DT, EDGE, big play WR & possibly another CB from the Portal for next season, but we’ll be in year 2 of the Cristobal era & the roster should start taking the shape of how he wants to be structured. If Gattis is still the OC then we could see Jacurri Brown thrive in his Offense & yes I know Garcia is there but I honestly don’t think he fits best in Gattis’s system, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.

And by year 3 (2024), we likely won’t be in the ACC anymore, so there’s that lol

We can win the Coastal. The only problem is, we play Clemson. So if we lose to them in the regular season, we won't have much of a safety net to make it to Charlotte.

To be fair, if I think we can win the Coastal, then you're really only 1 game away from winning the ACC. So the answer should be, "we can". However, I think if we play Clemson 10 times in Charlotte, we probably lose a decent amount more than we win. That's why I will say the Coastal is attainable, and honestly we shouldn't be happy with anything else even with this being Year 1, although we may need a little bit of help if we do lose to Clemson.

I think 5-1 on the 6 games in the division should be the floor. 2 losses within the coastal are not acceptable, IMO. Even with the holes on the roster. Not like the other teams in this hideous division don't have as many as we do. And not many have TVD, the RB room we have, the TE room we have, the Safety room we have, a Leonard Taylor, a Top 10 OL coach, a top notch DC, and a Broyles Award winning OC.

If we go 6-2 in the league, with losses to Clemson and 1 Coastal team, and finish the season 9-3, I think that's a good year. That's acceptable for Year 1. I won't be convinced that an elite staff from top to bottom loses to more than 1 Coastal team with the talent we do have, although it's certainly not nearly good enough to compete nationally yet.

We don’t have the OL or front 7 depth to win the conference imo. 10-2 with a chance at a NY6 bowl and we fuccin.
I agree that this roster has some holes, and I see us likely going 8-4 or 9-3 in the regular season. That said, if we are 10-2, that means we are in the ACC Championship game, and we can absolutely win the conference -- just need to win 1 game.

Advertisement
Hopefully we win 10 plus.

I still need to see how this 2022 team plays tbh.

Just going to reserve strong judgement until I see the Jimmies and joes hit the field.

I still see 8-4 with the current roster. With outside shots at 9-3 and 11-1 if a few bounces go our way.

Hopefully the coaching upgrade has these guys firing on all cylinders and in hopeful. But again until I see these dudes on the field and how they respond to adversity im not all homered out and setting my expectations to fail.

Happy with the QB room, RB room and Safety room. Beyond that I got questions.

Hopefully Ivey,Couch, the LBs, DL, OL and WRs all step up.

If TVD plays out of his mind anything is possible.

Sometimes QBs make the receiver sometimes the WRs make the QBs look better.

Hoping this year it’s TVD making the WRs look all world
Don’t forget the TE room. It’s really good.

This season?

Roster still has too many holes to project us to win the ACC in year 1 of Mario’s tenure.

OL still has questions at RT & RG & there’s a glaring lack of depth in the event of injury to any of the OT’s.

The WR group is still unproven & all reports from Spring & Summer have been that no one has stood out or stepped up yet.

The Defense doesn’t have a premier pass rusher, we added good depth via Portal & the DLine should be improved in certain aspects with the additions, but we haven’t had a dominant pass rusher emerge yet. The LB corps lacks depth as well, aside from Chase Smith & Bissainthe we don’t really have any sure LB talent that has prerequisite speed & playmaking ability. Most of our LB’s are either too slow or converted Safety’s/Rush-Ends who never developed.

The CB group still has question marks as well, we have solid young depth at Corner & some good prospects, but if they don’t get on the field it won’t matter. Stevenson is a very good CB, but the rest have a lot to prove, there’s talent in the group but they have to show it.

Next year, if we’re still in the ACC, then it’s definitely possible; we’ll have to add OL, LB, DT, EDGE, big play WR & possibly another CB from the Portal for next season, but we’ll be in year 2 of the Cristobal era & the roster should start taking the shape of how he wants to be structured. If Gattis is still the OC then we could see Jacurri Brown thrive in his Offense & yes I know Garcia is there but I honestly don’t think he fits best in Gattis’s system, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.

And by year 3 (2024), we likely won’t be in the ACC anymore, so there’s that lol

This is a good post.

DL with the additions while not elite or prolific with a pass rush I feel are good enough for our schedule

LB Chase, Keontra et al while young are probably adequate, again, for our schedule

WR is my biggest concern honestly. I think someone will step up there are just so many unknowns. Would've loved to have Rambo just one more year. His chemistry with TVD was amazing

OL they were good enough last year for the ACC. Pass blocking is fine and hopefully Mirabal/Mario and Gattis's new run schemes help us out here

At the end of the day we probably have the best or top 2 QB in the ACC which in and of itself will get us a number of Ws with a good chance at the division and an ACCC appearance.

Advertisement
I believe a consensus top 25 recruiting class for the past 3 years would be a completely kosher baseline of talent. The recruiting, including incoming frosh, have flipped to A-1. Could we have a few players get better bc of Mario and staff? Why not? I think we will win 2 out of next 4 college titles. Or once Damon arrives we win 2/3. Can’t put 3/3 on him!!

40201F36-0FE1-4766-A74B-363D269CFC39.jpeg

Advertisement
Back