Why can’t Miami be consistently good?

QB play. In today’s CFB, you need a mobile QB who can extend plays with his feet. **** even Aidan Hutchinson on gameday yesterday said the NFL is changing into those types of QB’s.

Advertisement
Orange Bowl gave Miami a home field advantage. We haven't had that since the move. The example you guys pull is just a handful of games in a what in 15 years in Joe Robbie (old skool). Every game at the Orange bowl even the rutgers and temple games was loud in that stadium. We lost that when we made that move to hard rock. Yes, leaving the Orange Bowl is one of the reasons of the Hurricanes downfall.
Sorry but HRS is just as loud w that roof now. And if you look at the attendance numbers, it was just as empty then as it is now.

we have had really bad coaching and quarterback play for over 20 years. not a winning combo

They see everything through the prism of the old glory years of Miami & having been chasing those ghosts for decades.
The same stupidity thinking the way back is to rebuild the wall around Miami recruiting. We are trying to recreate success from 30 years ago.

UF: 93m expenditures
FSU: 78m expenditures
Miami: 59m expenditures

2022 figures.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It's not really coaching. Butch and Coker were terrible coaches and had success despite that because of who was on the roster. I also think we glamorize Schnelly, Jimmy, and Dennis as coaches. Sure, they were very good coaches for the era, but only Jimmy had success elsewhere.

The real truth is that while Miami slept by letting the OB and our facilities rot with Shalala, the landscape of CFB changed radically and the most damning aspect of that is that our local talent pool is by and large full of weak, effeminate, and passive primadonnas who do not want to work or grind like the old school dawgs. Give me a team of guys like Bain and watch what happens.
Erickson did very well for himself at Oregon St after failing in the NFL

QB play. In today’s CFB, you need a mobile QB who can extend plays with his feet. **** even Aidan Hutchinson on gameday yesterday said the NFL is changing into those types of
You need someone that can extend the play, or in the case of a traditional passer, be athletic and aware enough to avoid the first wave of guys. People make these definitive statements, forgetting that there's more than one way to win. Keep in mind, a dude that can pick you apart in the pocket is still valuable, especially considering that you can't maul them like you could 20-30 years ago. They can't be a complete statue, but there are only so many hyper athletic, competent passers out there. People forget that most college QBs in the "Dual Threat" mode are glorified tailbacks, that occasionally pass.

Advertisement
UF: 93m expenditures
FSU: 78m expenditures
Miami: 59m expenditures

2022 figures.
You have the 20+ million to make up for that? We have one of the smallest donor pools in the country(We get larger donations per capita compared to the large state schools), and one of the cheapest fanbases in the country. Why can't our "Fans" get it through their thick skulls that unless the fanbase starts ponying up(Never happening), that Miami will always be stuck in a situation where we are chasing schools with 2-3x the enrollment and alumni bases? Miami has to be aggressive in fundraising and revenue optimization, and even with that, there will always be a gap. Doesn't mean you go completely cheap, but you have to find a way to maximize what you do have. That means: No terrible contracts, being ahead of the curve in regards to hiring guys as they come up, instead of the model where you just throw money at your top choice. Miami athletics is and will always be a startup, you have to view it as that. Miami athletics will NEVER be IBM, but we've shown the ability to beat IBM provided we have the leadership in place to do it.

It’s a myriad of things that starts & trickles down from the people who are responsible for the program.

At first, the money men where dirt cheap & made a ton of bad hires while not allocating funds towards the Football program to keep on us par with the rest of the top programs in the Nation.

Then in the 2 instances in which they finally opened the checkbooks, it was for Richt & Mario.

Also bad Coaching + subpar recruiting = Consistent losing & average seasons

Our struggles stem from the people in charge not knowing or caring about Football & when they finally do they’re very limited in the people they think can actually lead us to being a winning program. They see everything through the prism of the old glory years of Miami & having been chasing those ghosts for decades.

It’s just been a bad combination of the people who control the money making really stupid decisions based on nostalgia.

In short, you usually go with something or someone you know. Stepping outside of your comfort zone is usually a foreign place for most.

Coaching circles are no joke. Coaches also usually go with the familiar face.

Advertisement
****** decision makers that don't give a **** about football hiring corches to coach football and evaluate talent.

The only way to mask this is top-notch coaching. And that brings you to our number 2 issue.

I want to add on to your observation re problem #2. Brad Kaaya broke nearly every school passing record in only 3 seasons. Most teams would have killed to have him at QB. Unfortunately his first HC, Al Golden, refused to fire his butt buddy DC and wasted a quality college QB.

Then Mark Richt got him for a year, and decided he wanted to be the OC even though he'd had his OC duties stripped from him at UGA. Kaaya was getting absolutely murdered by the OL, Richts RPO was causing him to hold the ball too long. It took a 4 game losing streak for Richt to finally make the adjustments to the offense to get the ball out of Kaaya's hands quicker. If he makes the adjustments just a couple weeks earlier, I think we would have beaten a 4 win Notre Dame on the road, and it would have meant a 10 or 11 win season in Richts first year. That would have made 2017 back to back 10 win seasons and we would have been red hot.

I know this won't be popular but it is the truth. Successful college football programs are built when a coach has longevity. What do I mean by that? If you hire a coach, believe in him, you give him five years to fill out the roster. This fan base isn't built for that but it is the truth. When Shannon was fired, he had Teddy Bridgewater lined up to sign here and not with Louisville. But we couldn't be patient. His whole 2008 class (ranked 7th in the nation) basically left when he was fired in 2010. Golden had to start over and he brought in some good players. Gus Edwards is still playing in the league. But he wouldn't fire his friend so he didn't deserve that fifth year. We bring in Richt, a proven head coach. We give him three years and fire him. He doesn't get five years for the players to all be his own. We hire Manny for god knows what reason. We hire Diaz in 2018 and dismiss him by 2021. Again not all of his players were recruited by him. Now I don't think Manny was a great coach by any stretch but we didn't give him five years of recruits where all the players are his own.

The best coaches, Bowden, Schnellenberger, Jimmy Johnson (5 years) Butch Davis (5 years), Ferentz at Iowa, Saban at Alabama, Kirby at Georgia, Harbaugh at Michigan, and this list could go on and on were given, at a minimum 5 years to be fully successful with their own players.

But this fan base wants to fly banners on Mario in year 2. If you want to have a championship program you have to be patient while the coach does the cooking and brings all of his own players into the program. Yes, I know there are guys who win with the portal. Mel Tucker did at Michigan State for a year. Now he is out of work. When coaches take over a team when the previous coach built a foundation in recruiting they often do well at first. Ryan Day at OSU. He walked into a loaded group on talent. He isn't the type of coach to get them over the hump, yet. He may figure it out. I am just saying if you want sustained success in college football, you let the coach recuit all of his players on the team before you even think of firing him. If at the end of year 5 he isn't consistently winning 9 or 10 games a year, you may not have the right guy. But you truly won't know until you give the coach the right amount of time to evaluate him.

I know this fan base doesn't want to hear this truth. But it is the truth. If you can't accept it I am sorry. But this is how sustainable winning football works in college. It is why Mario got the deal he did. He knew he had to do a complete rebuild and needed the administrations support to give him the time to do so. I am glad the school did so. It is what it is, it just takes time.

Advertisement
Back