Why are we doing this

Why is this controversial? Weren't there a rash of articles recently about how many of the players spent more time on weed and partying than football? Clearly stricter rules need to be in place.

Advertisement
They aren't being forced to be there. But I agree athletes should be allowed to get paid by colleges.
They are forced to be there as much as employees are. Sure, they could quit football, just like employees could quit their jobs.

Wasn’t one of the NCAA’s issues with Miami back in the Erickson era a lack of enforcement of the school’s own drug testing policy? Sapp allegedly failed multiple tests but was not suspended as required by school policy, if I recall. Could be wrong.
In any audit situation making any rule that you fail to follow is major mistake. Failing audits start with you. The less rules you have, the less wrong they can find. Heavy handed administrations of any kind will hurt frequently hurt themselves by think books of rules. To avoid failing to enforce failed test results, don't require so many drug tests. I would try to avoid, as much as possible, any "special" rules for athletes while complying with NCAA at minimal levels. Basic rule should be use same rules that you have of all the other students -- they is what they claim players are after all.

Advertisement
You know who gets leeway? People that produce. If Trevor Lawrence lights up a blunt in Dabo's office, the only punishment he'll get is having to get up and open a window.
Bingo.

Weed should be legal in the USA.....
The players, coaches, band geeks, cheerleaders and fans should all be allowed, and encouraged, to smoke weed before, during and after the games.
Ditch the gatorade. There should be huge bins of ice cool beer with a table loaded with hard alcohol for a shot or two.
The games would be sooo much more fun to watch and everyone would have a wonderful time.

Advertisement
If a player is 21 at a THC friendly state school, and he tests positive for THC, will we start to see lawsuits if these dudes receive consequences?

Last time I checked, the NCAA can still drug-test athletes in Colorado, and they allow recreational.

So, no, I don't think there will be any successful lawsuits at this time. Maybe in the future, but not yet. You're going to have to see ACTUAL employees winning lawsuits before a judge ever rules in favor of a student-athlete on similar grounds.

Last time I checked, the NCAA can still drug-test athletes in Colorado, and they allow recreational.

So, no, I don't think there will be any successful lawsuits at this time. Maybe in the future, but not yet. You're going to have to see ACTUAL employees winning lawsuits before a judge ever rules in favor of a student-athlete on similar grounds.
Thank you

Advertisement
full ride, seems like a payment to me
Technically no. If they don't use the money for classes, it doesn't transfer to their bank account. This means that it is a benefit not a salary or wage. This is true if you work at walmart or anywhere else. If they are employees by law they must be compensated at least minimum wage.

Why is he doing this? It's really quite simple, our supposed starting QB was more interested in smoking the devil's lettuce and going out clubbing than he was watching game film.

Not saying weed is a problem for everyone and like most things in moderation doesn't have ill effects, but Diaz knows he needs to fix the QB room and culture on this team.
Manny Diaz is the culture issue on this team. How not everyone has figured this out yes is mind boggling. The guy is a loser that no one respects. Zero Accountability on this team regardless of this FAKE NEWS propaganda he is spewing.

Advertisement
Technically no. If they don't use the money for classes, it doesn't transfer to their bank account. This means that it is a benefit not a salary or wage. This is true if you work at walmart or anywhere else. If they are employees by law they must be compensated at least minimum wage.
But they're not employees, that was an analogy. Doesn't mean the school or program can't have rules! Which is what it is, maybe there shouldn't be rules, RIGHT?

They are forced to be there as much as employees are. Sure, they could quit football, just like employees could quit their jobs.

nobody is forced to be in college

I couldn’t get the job I have without a 4 year degree. Nobody forced me to go to college but I knew I had to for the career I wanted. its the same for them if the nfl is the career path they choose

nobody is forced to be in college

I couldn’t get the job I have without a 4 year degree. Nobody forced me to go to college but I knew I had to for the career I wanted. its the same for them if the nfl is the career path they choose
I must have written my first comment poorly, as that was exactly what I was saying. The original post I responded to stated that "they [the players] aren't forced to be there" when contrasting it with employees. My point was, employees aren't required to be there either. Just like a player could quit football, an employee can quit their job. No one forces either an employee to go to work or a football player to go to college. In that regard, they are one and the same.

Advertisement
Back