Who's the Best Cane Ever??? (By Position)

Im in Texas at Ft. Hood Army base, and ran into some Canes Fans... we were debating who the Beat Canes were by position. ..got real Heated...lol... This was my list.... Thoughts???

QB: Ken Dorsey
RB: Edgerrin James
WR: Andre Johnson
TE: Jeremy Shockey
OL: Leon Searcy
DL: Jerome Brown
DT: Warren Sapp
LB: Ray Lewis
CB: Antrell Rolle (he shut down Fitzgerald)
S: Ed Reed (Sean Taylor was a close second)
PK: Jeff Feagles
KR/PR: Devin Hester

are you younger? i think Randal Hill, Michael Irvin, Kevin Patrick, Michael Barrow, Ryan McNeil, etc can be on that list.

Randall Hill? he might be in top 20 WR at Miami.

Jim Kelly QB
Ottis Anderson, Edgerrin James RB
Alonzo Highsmith FB
Jeremy Shockey TE
Michael Irvin, Eddie Brown WR
Dennis Harrah, Vernon Carey G
Bryant Mckinnie, Leon Searcy T
Carlos Huerta PK

Ted Hendricks, Danny Stubbs DE
Jerome Brown, Warren Sapp DT
Winston Moss, Darin Smith OLB
Ray Lewis MLB
Burgess Owens,Ryan Hill CB
Ed Reed, Sean Taylor S
Jeff Feagles P
Howard Schnellenberger HC

Advertisement
Im in Texas at Ft. Hood Army base, and ran into some Canes Fans... we were debating who the Beat Canes were by position. ..got real Heated...lol... This was my list.... Thoughts???

are you younger? i think Randal Hill, Michael Irvin, Kevin Patrick, Michael Barrow, Ryan McNeil, etc can be on that list.

What, no love for Fast Eddie Brown?

Im 32....I remember watching the canes as a kid, but my best memory is when Edge ran all over UCLA in s upset....

Frank Gore before his injury and I'll take Sean Taylor over any safety ever...rest in paradise.

His size, speed and ability to cover ground the way he did couldnt not be touched. When he caught interceptions he was a great running with the ball in his hands always trying to score. I never seen such vicious hits at the safety postion since Ronnie Lott with a lot more speed and size
Alot of people dont knw but Sean Taylor was a RB in High school at Gulliver....he set the Dade County Touchdown Rushing record with 44 in a season if im not mistaken.... kid was the ultimate athlete

God bless you for your service brother!

Advertisement

What, no love for Fast Eddie Brown?

I forgot about Eddie Brown. Tough to leave him out. Great punt returner also. Darting weaving style. We never win that first national championship without Brown's great over the shoulder catch to set up the winning touchdown against East Carolina, and late punt return before the winning field goal at Florida State.

At DT Jerome Brown was my favorite, Sapp is probably best and I'm surprised no mention of Maryland though.

Qb.... Dorsey
Rb..... Edge(not close)
Wr..... Between dre and irvin(Moss is my fave cane all time and i can't put him at top
Te.... Shockey
Ol..... Mckennie or Searcy
DE..... Mcdougle
Dt..... 4 headed monster(tez, Maryland, Sapp, big Rome) can't put Wilfork in there
LB.... Lewis(not close)
Cb..... Hmmmm.... Buchannon, McNeil, and trel
Reed(**** that, he is the best safety we ever had.... Taylor was more physical and faster but with Reed u could make the perfect pass and perfect read and ed will still pick it off and take it to the house.... Imo it's not ******* close)
K.... Huerta
P..... Feagles
Returner.... Hester

Hendricks did not play OLB in college. DE all the way.

Yep, #89 rangy mean defensive end. Already a legend in college. I was a kid but even then I didn't understand how he could last until second round. Hendricks and Ed Reed were the two Canes who fell much further in the draft than seemed sensible. Others also, but those two stood out to me.

Those late '60s teams weren't very good overall but they had lots of talented defensive linemen. I remember my dad raving about it. He'd say, "Trosch, Tatarek and Hendricks." Always in that order. I would smile and nod my head, even if I really didn't know much about Trosch and Tatarek. I think they were on the '66 and '67 teams. I remember some games from those years. Very low scoring and intense. But not until '68 was I old enough to pay full attention and follow strategy, etc.

Advertisement
Having just graduated from UM, I didn't have the pleasure or honor of being a diehard Cane back in the day. Would anyone say Gore gives Edge a run for his money as the best RB from the U? NFL careers included. What about Portis and McGahee?

How would you guys rank Edge, Gore, Portis, and McGahee in order as far as top RB's from The U goes?

Having just graduated from UM, I didn't have the pleasure or honor of being a diehard Cane back in the day. Would anyone say Gore gives Edge a run for his money as the best RB from the U? NFL careers included. What about Portis and McGahee?

How would you guys rank Edge, Gore, Portis, and McGahee in order as far as top RB's from The U goes?

Edge, Portis, gore(pre-injury), McGahee. Willis had one of the best if not the best season as a Rb here and had power and the speed and when he was recruited I knew he would be the best when Portis left..... Then I saw gore... I knew it would be hard to Willis to beat him out... And he didn't..... If gore didn't get hurt.... **** he may have had 2gs.... And imagine them both in 02....osu would have had no chance.... And we wouldn't have ran a ******* fullback dive on 2nd and goal in that overtime.... Sorry got off subject

Bennie blades doesn't get nearly the love he should be getting in these kinds of threads. Arguably the most complete safety to ever play here when you take into account his physical prowess.

If Edge didn't tear his ACL he was headed for 2k. Maybe more than once. Onlyb person i said what if about that b had potential like edge .... I won't say the name though

Starts with an F

Advertisement
no love for Dan Morgan here. I think an argument could be made he was as good/better than Ray in his days with UM

Hendricks is the best ever from the U. Add his NFL career and hardware including 4 Super Bowl rings and it aint close.

Advertisement
QB- Jim Kelly
RB- Edgerrin James
FB- Alonzo Highsmith
WR's- Michael Irvin, Eddie Brown
MLB- Ray Lewis
OLB- Darrin Smith, Ted Hendricks
CB- Ryan McNeil, Phil Buchanan
DT's- Jerome Brown, Warren Sapp
S's- Bennie Blades, Ed reed
k- Carlos Huerta
KR- Devin Hester
ST- Tremain Mack

Those are the guys that come to mind immediately, the other positions Id have to think about

Did you really pick Blades over Taylor?????

G.T.F.O.H

I would rank them all after Ottis Anderson the best RB Miami produced but most here never saw. He had to carry a team to a 6-5 record, LITERALLY.

Great question, but depends if defining greatness by time in a Canes uniform or also factoring in later NFL career.

Advertisement
Back