Who's coming back next year and what will the line-up

Advertisement
[video=youtube;31g0YE61PLQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=31g0YE61PLQ[/video]

We screwed.

Advertisement
### With Shane Larkin leaving, what will the UM backcourt look like?

“Ask me in November, because right now we don’t know the answer to that,” coach Jim Larranaga said. “We’re not finished recruiting. There are a lot of pieces to the puzzle we have to figure out.”

Rion Brown assuredly will start, and incoming DeAndre Burnett likely will play a lot. Garrius Adams can play small forward or shooting guard.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/#storylink=cpy

Earth shattering...I know

Well Brown isn't a guard, he's a wing. So that leaves us right now with a backcourt consisting of a freshman and a guy who missed the season with an injury...plus walkons. :eekeyes:

Larrañaga is taking the same glass-is-half-full approach to next season. Common sense says the depleted Hurricane team will struggle, but he refuses to see it that way.

“There’s no way to predict,” he said. “Last year at this time, nobody predicted we’d win the conference championships. We have a couple of interesting scenarios that could be developing.”

Point guard Angel Rodriguez is transferring from Kansas State, and UM is his first choice. The Puerto Rico native played at Miami Krop and wants to be closer to his family. Rodriguez is expected to meet with UM coaches this week.

Larrañaga spoke to UM football coach Al Golden about incoming freshmen Corn Elder and Derrick Griffin, both of whom want to play basketball. While “nothing has been solidified,” Larrañaga seemed hopeful.

Elder — a 5-11 guard who was The Tennessean Football and Basketball Player of the Year — scored 41 points with eight assists and seven steals in the D2 state final, and averaged 20 points for the season. Griffin is 6-6 and a four-star basketball recruit.

The Canes are also looking at European players and graduating seniors with eligibility left. Student-athletes who graduate with eligibility remaining can transfer to another school for grad school and play immediately. Tarik Black (Memphis), Josh Davis (Tulane), Mike Moser (UNLV) are in that situation.

“Today’s recruiting world is mind-boggling,” Larrañaga said. “Thirty years ago, it’s all about high school talent. Now, it’s high school, transfers, fifth-year graduates who can play right away, kids from overseas. It’s changed an awful lot. We’re exploring options.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/04/30/3371653/shane-larkins-departure-a-recruiting.html#storylink=cpy

By the way, Memphis' PG is leaving Memphis, and he's eligible to play next year. Maybe we can get Barton and Black in a package deal from Memphis.

Advertisement
This team is going to look really different when school starts. We currently have the following kids on scholarship or scheduled to be on scholarship:

Akpejiori (Sr)
Swoope (Sr)
Brown (Sr)
Adams (Sr)
Kelly (Juco)
Jekiri (So.)
Burnett (Fr)
Reed (Fr)

(I know Elder and Griffin may play but they are on football scholarship)

A lot of quality (to say the least) senior transfers that can step in right away and keep the production:

- Black (Center)
- Davis (PF)
- Rodriguez (PG)
- Johnson (G)

In all honesty, if you can't get quality 2013 kids save the ship and give it to a transfer (even if he has to sit out).

Next year we lose Brown, Adams, Swoope and Akpejiori so we need to start bringing some kids too for 2014.

It is a good thing we have a smart coach.

Last edited:
If we could get Mike Moser in, that would be a HUGE thing. I have no clue if he is looking to play a 5th year or if he would look here but I like his game a lot.

Advertisement
There were rumors that Moser to Washington was a done deal, but that was early April, and nothing since, so that doesn't seem like he's definitely going there (or going there at all).

I don't follow Bball recruiting as closely but why is noone jumping on Coach L for his complete lack or recruiting?? I am not doubting him one bit because he is best coach Miami has had in a long long time, but he hasnt done much recruiting since being here. Its not like it snuck up on him that we were losing a ton of seniors and he only landed 2 guys outside of Al's football guys. Plus next yr we lose another bunch of seniors. Just seems odd!

I don't follow Bball recruiting as closely but why is noone jumping on Coach L for his complete lack or recruiting?? I am not doubting him one bit because he is best coach Miami has had in a long long time, but he hasnt done much recruiting since being here. Its not like it snuck up on him that we were losing a ton of seniors and he only landed 2 guys outside of Al's football guys. Plus next yr we lose another bunch of seniors. Just seems odd!

He has three guys. Two borderline top 100 guys and a JUCO top 25 guy. He'll likely have Rodriguez from Kansas State for 2014 if he doesn't get the waiver to play next season. That could happen as early as later today. Recruiting isn't over. So why would I jump on him months before he needs to even have a practice?

Advertisement

He has three guys. Two borderline top 100 guys and a JUCO top 25 guy. He'll likely have Rodriguez from Kansas State for 2014 if he doesn't get the waiver to play next season. That could happen as early as later today. Recruiting isn't over. So why would I jump on him months before he needs to even have a practice?

INSTANT GRATIFICATION....WANT RESULTS NOW, NOW, NOW. What was I talking about?

Personally, basketball recruiting is kind of confusing with the random signing days (early SD) and AAU BS.

I have to imagine that the staff is organized and ready to go.

Someone on the recruiting board said Griffin is arriving on campus in December, and will only play basketball this year.

Someone on the recruiting board said Griffin is arriving on campus in December, and will only play basketball this year.

Yes. Per an interview with StateofTheU. he will be attending a prep school for 1 semester and enrolling in time for basketball.

'Cane On

Advertisement
Back