Who's coming back next year and what will the line-up

Advertisement
Can a player declare, not sign an agent and wait to see where he get's drafted and then come back if he's a 2nd rounder ... sounds stupid as I type it, but was wondering. He has no need to sign with an agent at this point. All that said, I'd be surprised if he isn't with the Canes next year.

Sort of. One can announce, not sign with an agent and un-declare before the draft to go back to school. IIRC a Kentucky big man a few years back declared, didn't sign, but never un-declared, didn't get drafted and played his final full season with the Wildcats. Because he was an undrafted free agent that had never earned income on basketball, he was an amateur for the season and it was speculated he would sign with a team after finishing his final full season but before graduation in May. Not sure who it was.

I don't understand the money logic with Larkin. I would assume he wants his own cash and not daddy's money. He should come back add some weight and continue to improve his game but all the signs point to him leaving

Only rationale for Larkin leaving is his value may never be higher, though not sold that it's that high in the eyes of NBA front office types as some may think. He is what he is: 5-10 and not likely to grow over the next 2 years. He won't have as good a cast of players around him the next 2 seasons. Really nice college player and great kid, but sorry if I'm not sold on his being NBA caliber.

I don't understand the money logic with Larkin. I would assume he wants his own cash and not daddy's money. He should come back add some weight and continue to improve his game but all the signs point to him leaving

It means their is no pressure from home to give up the education. No **** he probably wants to make his own money and name.

Advertisement
I'm not really buying the "Larkin's value will never be higher rhetoric". Even though, I kind of agree with it, I don't see it as a factor that should entice him to leave. I really think he would have to fall off a cliff for his value to really get lower also. He hasn't benefitted from a huge soar in NBA stock despite his amazing season. He went from being a college guy, to a college guy that the NBA will likely give a shot to with a later first / early 2nd pick. Does any one honestly think that he won't be projected at least around there after another year or 2 in college? If he was being projected at or near the lottery, I would buy that, but when a guy has as amazing of a season as Larkin and is still being projected as a 2nd rounder, that tells me that they are not letting his success allow them to look past his weaknesses

I think it's crazy to assume Shane's value can't go higher. I see quite a few holes in his game that can take a big leap forward in a year if he works on it, and he's already proven he's willing and able given his improvement from 2012 to 2013. He can absolutely make himself a lottery player, if he wants to.

It means their is no pressure from home to give up the education. No **** he probably wants to make his own money and name.

if he does leave, it doesnt mean he cant come back and get his degree like many athletes do

if he does leave, it doesnt mean he cant come back and get his degree like many athletes do

Correct and his family can afford it. The thing is it is different when you are young and a college athlete/student.

Advertisement
Herald:

### Next season’s power rotation is a big concern for UM basketball, which loses five key seniors, but if Shane Larkin doesn’t turn pro (and that's very iffy), Miami should be strong on the perimeter with Larkin, Rion Brown and Garrius Adams and newcomers DeAndre Burnett and Davon Reed.

“I go against Garrius in practice, and the guy is a beast, a terrific player, and nobody knows it,” Larkin said. “Coaches say Reed can be extremely good defensively. And DeAndre might be the best scorer in Dade since Guillermo Diaz.” Burnett spent the past year in prep school after starring at Carol City.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2013/03/scouts-ex-gms-analyze-marlins-fins-book-draft-visits-heat-decision-canes-chatter.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
Demetrius Henry to announce April 17th per his Twitter

IIRC, April 16th is the last day for players to come back if they declare for the draft. Maybe henry is waiting to see if Larkin stays

The beauty of the NBA... the 16th is the last day to withdraw from the draft, but the 28th is the last day to enter it. He could potentially leave even after the 16th.

Demetrius Henry to announce April 17th per his Twitter

IIRC, April 16th is the last day for players to come back if they declare for the draft. Maybe henry is waiting to see if Larkin stays

The beauty of the NBA... the 16th is the last day to withdraw from the draft, but the 28th is the last day to enter it. He could potentially leave even after the 16th.

The NCAA doesnt help that, surprise surprise. The rules are different for every sport and I suspect we will know by the end of the month.

I agree with people who say he can come back and work on his game. Look at Stephon Curry. Buddy was the **** that one year in the tourney..Came back, worked on his game and still got drafted high and his having a good NBA career. Lets be honest..He didnt exactly have the greatest NCAA tournament ever. We not talkin Trey Burke level stuff here. (Who proved he is the best PG in the country over the last few days)

Brown and Larkin can be a great backcourt and JL will add some pieces to make sure he has a decent supporting cast. **** you never know..Who would have thought we would be this good this year?

With all this said, I just got a feeling that he goes. I would be shocked if he stayed. I think people will be in ear that his stock will never be hotter, blah blah blah. Maybe JL has one more trick up his sleeve.

Advertisement
I want Larkin to come back, but believe it's the correct move to leave. It's incorrect to think that if a player comes back for another year, he will continue to get better. Many times their stock slips as holes in their game get exposed.

It's going to be very hard on Larkin here next year with no inside scoring threats to open things up. Teams can freely double team him as they did in the Marquette game. There's no one I see on the roster who can create their own shot. It'll be a rough year, even if he returns.

Like others said, he's not going to get any taller and his stock is high now. I think he should go.

Can a player declare, not sign an agent and wait to see where he get's drafted and then come back if he's a 2nd rounder ... sounds stupid as I type it, but was wondering. He has no need to sign with an agent at this point. All that said, I'd be surprised if he isn't with the Canes next year.

Sort of. One can announce, not sign with an agent and un-declare before the draft to go back to school. IIRC a Kentucky big man a few years back declared, didn't sign, but never un-declared, didn't get drafted and played his final full season with the Wildcats. Because he was an undrafted free agent that had never earned income on basketball, he was an amateur for the season and it was speculated he would sign with a team after finishing his final full season but before graduation in May. Not sure who it was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randolph_Morris

Declared after freshman year. No agent, went undrafted. Once that happens, they can play as an amateur, and can sign with an NBA team at any time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randolph_Morris

Declared after freshman year. No agent, went undrafted. Once that happens, they can play as an amateur, and can sign with an NBA team at any time.

Thank you sir. Interesting story, wish he would have landed somewhere on a 10-day and taken off right away.

Assuming Larkin is gone and Rodriguez does not get the waiver, will Elder be allowed to play basketball in the fall? I highly doubt that he plays football this fall (I assume he'll be redshirted since there would likely be 4 RB ahead of him on the depth chart, 5 if you count Hagens). Or, does he stay with the football team regardless?

Advertisement
Back