• Jeff Hafley

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Greg Schiano

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Sonny Dykes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Best teams have the most elite first round talent. People think the x and O's make them first rounders. It helps to get play players in open space but big time players make big plays in big games. Take a basic *** screen to Willis and he makes it a big play.
đź’Ż- go look at our first round hits from 1998-2008 vs 2011-2021

Advertisement
Add @Coach Macho to the candidate list!
I'm serious when I say that if I was the HC of the U I'd have a council of local HS coaches who recommend players.

You'd obviously have to filter out the ones that are just pushing their kids, but the question would simply be "who stood out when playing against you?" Those are the 3* (often undersized) dogs that we miss out on year-on-year.

I like Mario, but what y’all think about Dallas ex-HC Jason Garret? Haven’t seen his name mentioned. Only negative I think for him Is if he was successful here he would probably be back in the NFL shortly after turning around program. But He’s Offensive Minded coach with NFL head coaching experience. I also see recruits jumping at the chance to play for someone with NFL ties. I think Miami needs a coach with experience to lead a program especially if no changes are made at AD.

Advertisement
How would you guys feel about chip Kelly? He was successful at Oregon with Mariota, stunk in the NFL (which happens) and he’s got UCLA back somewhat relevant. Very innovative offense from what I remember (although honestly I haven’t seen a UCLA game this year)

Last edited:
How would you guys feel about chip Kelly? He was successful at Oregon with Mariota, stunk in the NFL (which happens) and he’s got UCLA back somewhat relevant. Very innovative offense from what I remember (although honestly I haven’t seen a UCLA game this year)
He just got punked at home by Herm Edwards.

Advertisement
I want Mario for a few reasons. I think he is a solid coach but may not have the highest ceiling on the list. Having said that, I think he would be at Miami for a long time. I don’t think any of the others will be here long term and I don’t have any confidence in the AD (hopefully it’s not Blake making the next hire) to hire coaches. in the past 20 years, we have not been able to hire a good coach. I don’t believe we will be able to make two good hires in a row so I am hoping someone comes in that will be here for the long term.

I also think there are a lot of examples where programs are struggling to hire the next great coach (Tennesse, Nebraska, USC, etc.). It’s not always as easy at we think to find the right coach.

BTW, I want Manny (and Blake) gone as much as the next fan, but my post above about picking the right AD is based on the need to:

Hire new HC's in multiple sports
Clean house at in the athletic department
How hard it is to actually pick the right coach, especially in football

Re the last one, just think of what happened yesterday (one game only but indicative imo)

Mario lost to an inferior team - AGAIN
Lane got destroyed despite planning for the game for 9 months and having a senior QB
Jimbo has now lost two consecutive games
Butch was blown out by Willlllie
Pittman was shutout/blown out
Kelly was blown out and shut out in the second half by ASU
Malzahn lost to a previously winless Navy team

Fickell's stock went up, but he has never coached outside of Ohio, big red flag.

So in summary, it aint so easy.

Advertisement
Curious to as what most think. Please post another HC name if other.
Brethren, I’ll take the racist Yosemite Sam over this bull chit! At least w/ Sam, I know he’s not w/ the bull chit & is the meanest, roughest, toughest hombre that’s ever crossed the Rio Grande & ain’t no namby-bamby.
We need that type of attitude here, and at least he speaks a little Spanish.

Lol.

Advertisement
BTW, I want Manny (and Blake) gone as much as the next fan, but my post above about picking the right AD is based on the need to:

Hire new HC's in multiple sports
Clean house at in the athletic department
How hard it is to actually pick the right coach, especially in football

Re the last one, just think of what happened yesterday (one game only but indicative imo)

Mario lost to an inferior team - AGAIN
Lane got destroyed despite planning for the game for 9 months and having a senior QB
Jimbo has now lost two consecutive games
Butch was blown out by Willlllie
Pittman was shutout/blown out
Kelly was blown out and shut out in the second half by ASU
Malzahn lost to a previously winless Navy team

Fickell's stock went up, but he has never coached outside of Ohio, big red flag.

So in summary, it aint so easy.
You’re so right when it comes to picking the right head coach.

BUT you sure give yourself much better odds of being right when you choose someone that has done it before and had at least some success….

Putting guys in charge of a P5 program that not only have Never coached in P5 but have never been a HC ANYWHERE EVEN HIGH SCHOOL, is like trying to hit the lottery picking birthdays and anniversaries.

Yea every decade or so you might get lucky and be right but your gonna have a lot of misses in between.

I’m leaning toward an NFL guy. What this team needs right now is a more professional operation top to bottom.

We need to block, tackle, and catch better. Our guys need to know and execute assignments better.

That stuff happens in the Spring and Summer, and it comes from running tough, professional, and effective practices.

If we learn to block, tackle, and catch at a high level…we win 10 games and the coastal every year like clockwork. And then we can talk about how to take the next step.

But you have to build a house on a strong foundation, and we’re missing that. We have to go the Howard/Lou Saban route to get that pro mentality in the building…as we’ve been coached by amateurs now for 20 years

945101A7-394C-4965-929C-FE6BB981BD2C.jpeg

So no one wants Marc Trestman??! Miami Guy, NFL head coach guy. Like I did with Joe Brady I will continue to think outside of the 4-5 names that everyone has already mentioned….. thoughts?

Seeing how coaches for the U it is going to be a defensive assistant with no head coaching experience like Randy or Manny. The oneqwith most experience is Patke. The other method would be to hire the Temple coach like Golden or Manny. options only moderately appealing.

Advertisement
Back