Who Would You Hire As The Next AD?

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Premium
Since we're constantly throwing out coach names I thought it might be interesting to also hear some names to replace Flake as AD since in a real program that position should be almost as important as head coach. Btw, Butch asked me to remove his name from consideration so please refrain from submitting it.

My two are both outside of the box as I'm willing to gamble a little after the last 3 guys to hold the position.

1. Rich Dalrymple- he's a VP with the Cowboys, beyond well respected in the NFL, met his wife (who is in the UM HoF) while he was at Miami and is a public relations master. Would probably need a guy like Flake to be his #2 but would also probably be tough to pry from Dallas as Jerry Jones loves him.

2. Jimmy Larranaga- timing is off as I believe he has many more years of coaching left and I wouldn't want an active basketball coach also serving as AD as that would really send out some bad signals about the state of the football program but I could see a path in the future. He steps down, convinces his son (after never getting that NBA head coaching job) to take over and then transitions into an administrative role. The guy is everything organization and psychological wise that Golden was sold to us as except he actually produces so I think he'd succeed in an oversight role as well.

Advertisement
Anyone willing to take the job. I don't think we will have many qualified options available.

Just give me someone who has an actual background in Athletics...not just someone who's been selling tickets all of their life.

I think it needs to be a former coach (football, basketball, baseball) or player.

I'm not sure how to evaluate James, but he didn't sell tickets his whole life. He was the AD at the University of Maine for 5 years. I know many here are very parochial and couldn't fine Maine on a map.

Advertisement
Just give me someone who has an actual background in Athletics...not just someone who's been selling tickets all of their life.

I think it needs to be a former coach (football, basketball, baseball) or player.

Former players or coaches don't necessarily have the background to make great hiring/firing decisions. The best ADs are organizational developers. Recruiting, hiring, firing and culture. Of course, if it's someone like Sam Janko, who also had a keen understanding of football, that'd be helpful.

The bottom line is that the board and executive leadership have to set the tone of what kind of athletic department they want. Then the AD implements that. Right now, i think it's pretty obvious what the AD and board mostly want from the athletic department.

We need someone willing to ruffle feathers and not be a politically correct yes man.

Arkansas States AD. Didn't that guy hire 3 or 4 solid Football coaches in a row. He's taken that program and elevated. Cincys AD does a pretty good job of finding coaches also. I'm sure there are others. TCUs AD would be good. He's got solid football and baseball programs. But I doubt he would leave that job for the garbage dump we have going on here.

We need someone that will get the coaches in all sports what they need to succeed and hold off the BOT from the coaches. Someone with a vision for where the AD should head as well as someone that thinks outside the box.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm not sure how to evaluate James, but he didn't sell tickets his whole life. He was the AD at the University of Maine for 5 years. I know many here are very parochial and couldn't fine Maine on a map.

True but all that experience overseeing a program that's face is its ice hockey team is almost a wash.

We need someone willing to ruffle feathers and not be a politically correct yes man.

Doesn't that begin with BoT and Executive Admin? If that's not what they're looking for, why would they hire that type of administrator?

Advertisement
I'm not down at Blake as many on this board are. I think overall he's done a pretty good job, especially when it comes to fund raising. He hasn't made any major hires I terms of coaches yet, so I'll reserve judgement on that till the time comes.

I was told by a big donor that Blake wanted to fire Golden last year, but was told No!!! by the BOT. I Have no way of knowing for sure if that was the case or not, but I don't believe for a second that Blake is Golden's *****. By the way, the same guy told me that Blake told Golden, either win the coastal, or you and your staff are done.

The UC AD went to Virginia Tech last year, and the one before that left for Illinois in 2011.

I don't think UM would want the current UC AD, though he is experienced and was a college athlete.

I'd suggest we hire former UGA AD, Damon Evans. He's working at Maryland, currently ...

And I know how he left UGA ... But he's a very well connected guy, and an able fundraiser, IMO.

Arkansas States AD. Didn't that guy hire 3 or 4 solid Football coaches in a row. He's taken that program and elevated. Cincys AD does a pretty good job of finding coaches also. I'm sure there are others. TCUs AD would be good. He's got solid football and baseball programs. But I doubt he would leave that job for the garbage dump we have going on here.

We need someone that will get the coaches in all sports what they need to succeed and hold off the BOT from the coaches. Someone with a vision for where the AD should head as well as someone that thinks outside the box.

Advertisement
I'm not down at Blake as many on this board are. I think overall he's done a pretty good job, especially when it comes to fund raising. He hasn't made any major hires I terms of coaches yet, so I'll reserve judgement on that till the time comes.

I was told by a big donor that Blake wanted to fire Golden last year, but was told No!!! by the BOT. I Have no way of knowing for sure if that was the case or not, but I don't believe for a second that Blake is Golden's *****. By the way, the same guy told me that Blake told Golden, either win the coastal, or you and your staff are done.

BullSh*t.....You weren't told Sh*t! Blake James is Trash.

Advertisement
Back