Who would have created the biggest dynasty if they'd stayed?

Hypothetically JJ.

But Jimmy was the type of guy that never would've never stayed with one team for more than 6-7 years. He would've either needed a new challenge or burned out.

In retrospect, I think Butch and Howard regret not staying at Miami longer and building up their legacies.

Although Howard needed to change his defense up. Howard's 3-4 D worked in the early 80s because his team practiced insane hours. But with the practice limitations to 20 hours a week, JJ's more attacking 4-3 D was a much better fit at Miami - especially with the athletes that Miami recruits.

Advertisement
Obviously its all conjecture but this is more fun than complaining about the current state of affairs.

The only " factor"- the time period is 15 years. So, if the guy coached 4 years he would have another 11 ,etc.

Candidates :

Shnells( 79- 83, 5 yrs )
JJ( 84-88, 5 years )
Erickson( 89-94, 6 yrs )
Butch( 95- 00, 6 years )

My vote-

Johnson. He took us to a natonal icon level, high energy guy, loved the program. Kept control of the kids, his regime began the swag.

JJ - he has the formula for that era with the 4-3 over that dominated football long past his era. His coaching tree was strong too. I’m assuming he’d pull similar OCs which would be his only potential weak spot.

Dennis was not organizationally suited to maintaining the program but the guy is a spread innovator who married pro concepts to a spread to runphilosophy. Best offensive X’s and O’s Guy IMO.

Erickson was a great offensive mind at the time. You don’t accidentally win 2 titles.

Guy was legit. And he deserves credit for not touching the defense. How many coaches today would walk in and change a good situation due to ego, etc?

Ericsson was a good coach. Yes, he won two rings and he wouldn't have had he not been. Having said that, once the roster was all his, you saw it drop off a little. Ericsson is proof that a roster can make a coach look better than he actually is. Ericsson has never come close to replicating the success he did here

Advertisement
I'm surprised that Jimmy Johnson isn't the most voted for right now. Won a Natty, then the Orange Bowl, then left and literally change an "average at best" NFL squad into a beast...literally won 2 super bowls in a row.
With Butch and Wannstedt by his side throughout all that time....

Ericsson was a good coach. Yes, he won two rings and he wouldn't have had he not been. Having said that, once the roster was all his, you saw it drop off a little. Ericsson is proof that a roster can make a coach look better than he actually is. Ericsson has never come close to replicating the success he did here
It was waayyyyy more than alittle....his recruiting from 91 onward was literally *** in key positions...he was a Notoriously lazy recruiter...

Hypothetically JJ.

But Jimmy was the type of guy that never would've never stayed with one team for more than 6-7 years. He would've either needed a new challenge or burned out.

In retrospect, I think Butch and Howard regret not staying at Miami longer and building up their legacies.

Although Howard needed to change his defense up. Howard's 3-4 D worked in the early 80s because his team practiced insane hours. But with the practice limitations to 20 hours a week, JJ's more attacking 4-3 D was a much better fit at Miami - especially with the athletes that Miami recruits.
The 3-4 wasn't Howard's only Defense..they also ran a 5-2 which was called "Monster"...had this conversation with Tony Fitzpatrick many times....

Advertisement
I'm 100% sure that Butch and most of our defensive staff gets hired away if he(JJ) stays though.
I don't know....If JJ stays after 88....Butch ain't going nowhere...Wannstedt??...Maybe...I actually think Butch has a better Def mind than Wannstedt had...I like Butch's Defensive mind more....Wannstedt had some Def breakdowns at critical points in Big games...I think Butch in the end was a Beneficiary of past Coordinators and their systems....Butch was All about Gap integrity... he wanted his DTs completely Disrupting the backfield...and his DEs screaming around the ends like Lunatics....

JJ and it’s not up for debate. Could’ve easily had double the amount of championships had he stayed.

Advertisement
What Butch would've done in ref to recruiting from 01- till....would have Absolutely been Mindboggling....No UM Coach, including Howard and JJ had relationships with South Fl HS coaches like Butch had/has...It would've been Criminal...

That’s the saddest part, all the greats left as soon as they got popping here. Sigh
And in JJs case, he took the entire staff with him to Dallas...Butch only took Pagano....I do give Erickson kudos for implementing an entire new staff...and a DC (Lubick) who CaneInOrlando idolized....

Advertisement
None, getting new coaches with a new innovation each time made us great.

Howard: pro-style O when everyone was running the wishbone
Jimmy: 4-3 speed D> 5-2
Dennis: west coast spread O
Butch: eye for talent, toughness, speed, and player development

Schemes would have eventually caught up to Jimmy and Butch's Canes. Not as fast as they did with Coker, but by 2010 for sure.
Jimmy was enough of a schemer in his own right to where he would've adapted and continued to dominate.

Schnelly and JJ were both so far ahead of the rest of CFB you're really hard-pressed to say one or the other. Bear Bryant vs. Nick Saban kind of situation.

Advertisement
Back