Who was hated more: Johnson, Erikson or Davis?

Advertisement
I have found that people who just wine and complain and make every little thing the biggest tragedy ever are people nobody wants to be around. So yes, someone who is up beat and positive no matter what is going around really is a blast to be around. All the mopes just drag everyone down. It is not interesting. It is not witty. It doesn't make anything better. It just drives people away and out of their lives.

I can understand getting frustrated and letting off steam. Though that is only a brief moment where that is acceptable. You have an hour to maybe a day to blow of the steam then get over it and move on. You don't get a lifetime to just cry and complain.
I agree. But that doesn’t describe the person I mocked. Does the same complaint not apply for people crying and complaining about what other people do on a discussion board. Are both not equal. Someone posts something out of frustration about the team, then people go into that thread and start posting their frustration at the poster. It’s all the same in the end is it not?

I wouldn’t necessarily call it positive rather it’s redirected complaining.

Just enjoy the board and let people be. That’s how I approach it, until a bunch of told you so’s decide they want to show everyone how right they are that’s when it turns into a **** throwing contest.

Is that not true?

Fans don’t have to be silent but it does show how often they’re wrong. It also shows that a lot more goes into winning than just if a coach is good or bad
Without a doubt. I’ve been wrong many times, I was wrong about manny. But that’s just part of being a fan. It goes with the territory. No need for anyone to ride in here on their high horse claiming how right they were.

Sure every fan complains.

But most realize this is a game played by kids......played against opponents who are also trying their best to defeat you.

While some may think it...we are not on the field alone ......and it is not our birthright to always win.

It's the ones with unrealistic expectations who take every Miami error and misstep as a life and death situation that must be dealt with by imposing harsh penalties that amuse me the most.....We have those kinds of "fans" in abundance.

One thing that the OP has pointed out that is very true......Our fans have ,at some time, vilified EVERY coach that this proud program has had here...with no exceptions no coach has been immune since Schnelly won our 1st.

That is a common thread. Selective memories may prohibit many from admitting that

Last edited:
Advertisement
Sure every fan complains.

But most realize this is a game played by kids......played against opponents who are also trying their best to defeat you.

While some may think it...we are not on the field alone ......and it is not our birthright to always win.

It's the ones with unrealistic expectations who take every Miami error and misstep as a life and death situation that must be dealt with by imposing harsh penalties that amuse me the most.....We have those kinds of "fans" in abundance.

One thing that the OP has pointed out that is very true......Our fans have, at some time, vilified EVERY coach that this proud program has had here...with no exceptions no coach has been immune since Schnelly won our 1st.

That is a common thread. Selective memories may prohibit many from admitting that

Your post is insightful, honest and a bullseye! With the aforementioned in mind, the Herd will not take kindly to that unique approach on their message board.

I agree. But that doesn’t describe the person I mocked. Does the same complaint not apply for people crying and complaining about what other people do on a discussion board. Are both not equal. Someone posts something out of frustration about the team, then people go into that thread and start posting their frustration at the poster. It’s all the same in the end is it not?

I wouldn’t necessarily call it positive rather it’s redirected complaining.

Just enjoy the board and let people be. That’s how I approach it, until a bunch of told you so’s decide they want to show everyone how right they are that’s when it turns into a **** throwing contest.

Is that not true?

It is a wicked cycle. I get tired of the complaining and if you want to not just give up on the board and like to see it changed then I turn into a complainer about something else.

I have not been able to enjoy the board since the LSU game. It has been a miserable season I know. Though if I just come here for some kind of news which I hope to be somewhat neutral it still gets sloshed through with complaints. So I am not sure what to do. I am at a point of just avoiding this place for who knows how long or hoping that some change is made.

Will admit I never thought JJ was going to win a championship after watching his team get hammered by Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl and Penn State the following year. (However, I think the latter was mostly on Vinnie.) Thought Butch was unfairly treated because of the sanctions he was saddled with. That banner was very unfair considering the circumstances. By 2000, I knew we were back at last. When Butch left, I knew we were eventually going to have problems even though Coker won the title in 2001. He just wasn’t a good recruiter or coach. This program died the moment Terry Porter’s flag hit the dirt in the Fiesta Bowl. It’s been all downhill since then.

Last edited:
LOL at the idea that Erickson left nothing behind for Butch.

Ray Lewis
Danyell Ferguson
Yatil Green
Clement and Covington (2 top 10 qbs coming out of high school)
Jammi German
KC Jones
Kenny Holmes
Kenard Lang
Burgess
Twan Russell
Carlos Jones
Earl Little
Tremain Mack

Advertisement
It is a wicked cycle. I get tired of the complaining and if you want to not just give up on the board and like to see it changed then I turn into a complainer about something else.

I have not been able to enjoy the board since the LSU game. It has been a miserable season I know. Though if I just come here for some kind of news which I hope to be somewhat neutral it still gets sloshed through with complaints. So I am not sure what to do. I am at a point of just avoiding this place for who knows how long or hoping that some change is made.
I hear you and agree about the complaining. Coming for the info is good but also the humor. If we’re gonna suck then might as well get some laughs out of it. At least that’s how I see it.

By the way, Thank you for the civilized discussion. It’s appreciated.

Overall Erickson, most brutal was towards Butch. Different times back then, we were still relevant. Fans demanded perfection, not this soft base we got now. Nah 25 years ago Richt would have been burned in effigy. This wouldn't have been tolerated, at all.

Johnson was beloved in his final years so Erickson took more criticism than anyone else. Nobody liked one-back and three receivers on the goal line, especially with examples like little Leonard Coney getting battered at the goal line at Florida State in 1989.

I think the original U documentary featured quotes from players of that time frame saying their attitude toward Erickson was basically...stay out of the way and don't ***** things up, especially our attacking defense.

Johnson was beloved in his final years so Erickson took more criticism than anyone else. Nobody liked one-back and three receivers on the goal line, especially with examples like little Leonard Coney getting battered at the goal line at Florida State in 1989.

I think the original U documentary featured quotes from players of that time frame saying their attitude toward Erickson was basically...stay out of the way and don't ***** things up, especially our attacking defense.
This is spot on. Coker was Erickson part 2.

Advertisement
The vocal group wanted Jimmy Johnson fired in year 1 for the disaster at the end of the year, and after year three when he lost his 3rd straight bowl game to prove for sure he could NEVER win the big one. Especially knowing he never won big anywhere before. Jimmy's record at Oklahoma State was NOT impressive.

They then drove Erikson out of town for not being Jimmy Johnson. And the ****** gimmicky offense he saddled us with. Especially knowing he never won big anywhere before. Dennis's prior coaching record was NOT impressive. So, he only won to start purely because of Jimmy's players.

The worst hate (worse than Coker, Shannon and Golden hate combined) was for Butch Davis turning us from a team playing for the national championship against nebraska in the orange bowl under Erikson, to a NATIONAL JOKE. With a roster with hall of famers on it, before sanctions kicked in, Butch got the canes thumped by ucla in the opener, and a bunch of 8-3 records. Then a friggin LOSING RECORD. Butch was, to the crowd, the worst coach to ever blow a whistle--- until he left.

Richt is in very good company (Johnson, Erikson and Davis).
a roster full of hall of farmers?are you smoking crack? The only hofer on that lousy Errickson recruited squad was Ray Lewis- and even if Errickson hadn’t screwed up and we had beaten Nebraska- we would not have won the Nc- penn state would have won by virtue of an undefeated record and a crushing victory over Oregon in the rose bowl- get your hurricane history straight before you post any more garbage comments

Butch is the only one that our fans flew banners for. Now they want him back so they can keep flying banners
Yeah the fans hadn’t thought of banners under the Errickson tenure- but they did think of “nice things” to show their displeasure with his with crap coaching- like burning and hanging Dennis the drunk in effigy- you moron- something that sonny lubicks wife was quick to publicize and reveal when the canes offered her husband the hc position after the drunk bolted for Seattle- what about that smart ***?

Nobody hated Dennis Erickson at the time. He did a majority of his winning with Jimmy's recruits but his final team at Miami went 10-2 with a close loss to eventual champion Nebraska in the bowl game. His worst season was 9-3 in 1993. Maybe after the fact people got mad because he let the program get so out of control, they got hit with all the sanctions but while he was here, everyone loved Coach E.

Butch was hated pretty much from day 1 until he finally broke through in 2000. I distinctly remember the banner flying over the Orange Bowl "From National Champs to National Chumps Thanks, Butch". The love that Miami has for Butch today is based solely on his assembly of the early 2000's teams. While he was actually coaching the Hurricanes, nobody liked him.
Pure bull****- fans loved the idea of a jj protege taking over the program and saving it from the smoldering wreckage Errickson had left- and from what I’ve been told by older canes fans- they hated Errickson right from the start-they knew that he only won with jj players- by the way your “avatar” has an EXTREMELY punchable face

Advertisement
There was still an outside shot at a title had Miami won because back then, they just voted on the National Champion since it was rarely determined on the field in a "championship game" type scenario. Still it would have been a long shot to jump an undefeated Penn State team.
More bull****- we had NO chance of jumping an unbeaten Penn State team- especially considering the love affair the national media had with Paterno- all the way up until the pedophile scandals at psu emerged- please stop lying and making **** up

No, as I am sure they would taste like...CRAP...you know, like Dennis Erickson!
That’s true because Errickson was crap- If Sammy j had let Gary Stevens take over we would have won another 4 or 5 NCs instead of 1.5- Errickson almost ****ed up the 89 team with his **** coaching at the FSU game and we struggled with a crap Bama team in the sugar

Advertisement
Back