Who was hated more: Johnson, Erikson or Davis?

lurk

Recruit
The vocal group wanted Jimmy Johnson fired in year 1 for the disaster at the end of the year, and after year three when he lost his 3rd straight bowl game to prove for sure he could NEVER win the big one. Especially knowing he never won big anywhere before. Jimmy's record at Oklahoma State was NOT impressive.

They then drove Erikson out of town for not being Jimmy Johnson. And the ****** gimmicky offense he saddled us with. Especially knowing he never won big anywhere before. Dennis's prior coaching record was NOT impressive. So, he only won to start purely because of Jimmy's players.

The worst hate (worse than Coker, Shannon and Golden hate combined) was for Butch Davis turning us from a team playing for the national championship against nebraska in the orange bowl under Erikson, to a NATIONAL JOKE. With a roster with hall of famers on it, before sanctions kicked in, Butch got the canes thumped by ucla in the opener, and a bunch of 8-3 records. Then a friggin LOSING RECORD. Butch was, to the crowd, the worst coach to ever blow a whistle--- until he left.

Richt is in very good company (Johnson, Erikson and Davis).

Advertisement
The vocal group wanted Jimmy Johnson fired in year 1 for the disaster at the end of the year, and after year three when he lost his 3rd straight bowl game to prove for sure he could NEVER win the big one. Especially knowing he never won big anywhere before. Jimmy's record at Oklahoma State was NOT impressive.

They then drove Erikson out of town for not being Jimmy Johnson. And the ****** gimmicky offense he saddled us with. Especially knowing he never won big anywhere before. Dennis's prior coaching record was NOT impressive. So, he only won to start purely because of Jimmy's players.

The worst hate (worse than Coker, Shannon and Golden hate combined) was for Butch Davis turning us from a team playing for the national championship against nebraska in the orange bowl under Erikson, to a NATIONAL JOKE. With a roster with hall of famers on it, before sanctions kicked in, Butch got the canes thumped by ucla in the opener, and a bunch of 8-3 records. Then a friggin LOSING RECORD. Butch was, to the crowd, the worst coach to ever blow a whistle--- until he left.

Johnson and Erickson won national championships. Davis created a roster that immediately won a national championship. So, of the 4 you list, which coach is unlike the others?

Advertisement

Don't you dare slander Jimmy J...Jimmy J is "Thee Football God"

Erickson was a crap coach.

Butch was dealing with probation.
The fans still jumped on him worse than they ever did any of the others.then we wonder why good coaches won't entertain a MIAMI offer nor do they stay when things are looking up.they bolt as soon as another opportunity presents itself.aka butch,JJ.people say they left for the nfl which is true but when butch failed he didn't come back.fans around here should think of that before they act

dennis erickson has a turned a few programs around. he gets a bad rap. he wasnt a horrible coach.
I actually was ****ed in 1998 season with butch.

I've been bashing richt but he's a couple upgrades away from getting us back. balls in his court.

Advertisement
Don't you dare slander Jimmy J...Jimmy J is "Thee Football God"
He didn't slander JJ just spoke the truth about um fans.and it's all factual .um fan base has no patience and some live in wonderland expecting success overnight.

Wtf is this OP about?? I’m tired of these stupid comparisons.

Nobody hated Jimmy; he just wasn’t Schnelly. Schnelly JUST led us to our 1st national championship, ever, and then he bounced. That hurt many fans. Then comes JJ, and it felt like wtf??! (I was too young at this time, but the old heads schooled me on the history & their feelings) That was for HIS FIRST YR here. Clearly, the program continued to ASCEND year to year under JJ’s watch. JJ went, if I’m not mistaken, 52-9 in FIVE YEARS. (Richt is now 26-12 here in only year 3)

Ppl didn’t hate Erickson, it’s just that he wasn’t JJ, and JJ had us humming. (Personally I was ****ed, b/c it was during JJ’s era that I became a Cane). But Erickson won a title his VERY first yr, so why in the fck would we hate him?? We were in the hunt **** near every year w Erickson:
1989: National Champs
1990: went 10-2 smoked Texas (Cotton Bowl)
1991: National Champs
1992: played for National Championship
1993: (his worst year at 9-3 and got ran through in the Fiesta Bowl)
1994: played for National Championship

As I’ve mentioned to ad-nauseum, with Butch here, he took over the program w a black eye and stained rep. Our expectations were unrealistic and unfair, and yes, he was hated simply b/c we were spoiled w success from the other coaches.
We had just won 4 titles in 11 yrs, and arguably could’ve won 7 in 11 yrs had Vinny not thrown that game in 86, the refs not hosed us in 88, and Costa could freggin complete a pass for 6 yrds in 94! (Sorry still ****ed)

**** Yeah we were upset that we were winning just 8 games under Butch! However, hindsight being 20/20, Butch was just a 1st yr head coach, as well, w no prior head coaching experience, unlike JJ or D.E.

So for u to say Richt is in good company with those aforementioned coaches is laughable. JJ went from going 8-5 in yr 1, to 10-2 in yr 2, to playing for a national championship in YEAR 3, to WINNING IT ALL by year 4.

D.E got us a chip in yr 1 & yr 3 and played for two additional championships in 92 and 94!!!!

Butch went 4-0 in bowl games w half a team, and was a 1st yr head coach w sanctions, while in interim, constructing the greatest NCAA team ever, peppering the NFL w superstar after superstar even during the lean years.

Slap ur self!

Nobody hated Jimmy; he just wasn’t Schnelly. Schnelly JUST led us to our 1st national championship, ever, and then he bounced. That hurt many fans. Then comes JJ, and it felt like wtf??! (I was too young at this time, but the old heads schooled me on the history & their feelings) That was for HIS FIRST YR here. Clearly, the program continued to ASCEND year to year under JJ’s watch. JJ went, if I’m not mistaken, 52-9 in FIVE YEARS. (Richt is now 26-12 here in only year 3)

Ppl didn’t hate Erickson, it’s just that he wasn’t JJ, and JJ had us humming. (Personally I was ****ed, b/c it was during JJ’s era that I became a Cane). But Erickson won a title his VERY first yr, so why in the fck would we hate him?? We were in the hunt **** near every year w Erickson:

As I’ve mentioned to ad-nauseum, with Butch here, he took over the program w a black eye and stained rep. Our expectations were unrealistic and unfair, and yes, he was hated simply b/c we were spoiled w success from the other coaches.
We had just won 4 titles in 11 yrs, and arguably could’ve won 7 in 11 yrs had Vinny not thrown that game in 86, the refs not hosed us in 88, and Costa could freggin complete a pass for 6 yrds in 94! (Sorry still ****ed)

**** Yeah we were upset that we were winning just 8 games under Butch! However, hindsight being 20/20, Butch was just a 1st yr head coach, as well, w no prior head coaching experience, unlike JJ or D.E.

So for u to say Richt is in good company with those aforementioned coaches is laughable. JJ went from going 8-5 in yr 1, to 10-2 in yr 2, to playing for a national championship in YEAR 3, to WINNING IT ALL by year 4.

D.E got us a chip in yr 1 & yr 3 and played for two additional championships in 92 and 94!!!!

Butch went 4-0 in bowl games w half a team, and was a 1st yr head coach w sanctions, while in interim, constructing the greatest NCAA team ever, peppering the NFL w superstar after superstar even during the lean years.

Slap ur self!
All that is true but the fan base did ridicule JJ,Erickson and butch.our fan base is hard on coaches and always has been op was just saying what was the truth it's some of our fans who need to be slapped for being so shortsighted and expecting everything to run perfect with no hiccups.life will always have its ups and downs just need to learn how to deal with it.

Is that you Mark? The fact that you rode the pine behind a couple great QBs didn’t make you a great QB and neither does the fact that you ****ed off the Cane faithful with crappy coaching like some great coaches make you a great coach. Put a picture of Al Golden up because he seems to be your target on our coaching tree.

Advertisement
wDtPeT9.gif

Slap ur self!

There’s a lot of selective memory and toning down of how bad it got for jimmy and truly horrible it was for Butch in this post.

After three years here Jimmy was 0-3 in bowls and had just gotten thoroughly out coached by Paterno with s team most were calling the greatest in college football history. It was definitely made worse by the whole camouflage fiasco.

And Butch’s job was literally on death watch on a game to game basis. They blew that Penn State game in the rain, then lost to unranked ECU and FSU again. By the time they lost to VT by 30+ he’d gone 0-10 against our biggest rivals, with the majority of the losses by blowout. Just about everyone thought he’d be gone that Monday.

Banners were flying, people were cursing his every move at home games and ripping him daily on sports radio.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The fans still jumped on him worse than they ever did any of the others.then we wonder why good coaches won't entertain a MIAMI offer nor do they stay when things are looking up.they bolt as soon as another opportunity presents itself.aka butch,JJ.people say they left for the nfl which is true but when butch failed he didn't come back.fans around here should think of that before they act
Yea. Fans of other cfb teams are never finicky. Fans getting upset.... yea It’s pretty unique to Miami.

Are you insane?

Advertisement
Back